• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 34 and why it didn't work this year

Matt62881

16 hours ago, onmyown said:

I agree and will say that not even Poe in his prime would have sufficed. KK doesn’t either. Star might have. But if you go 3-4 with Luke you need to find your Vince Wilfork a pure NT. It’s surprising to me that we had no one to fill that role are are supposedly changing over. 

NT is the glue holds the 3-4 together...if I were to build a 3-4 that’s the first piece I’d put into place bar none. And yet we have none lol wtf. Granted that’s a hard spot to find good talent.

I meant poe playing a DE spot lol, we really didn't have the 34 NT as you said going in, the most important piece. Without him the rest of the defense looks bad even if its not.

11 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Poe should be able to play NT, but for whatever reason, maybe father time, he just doesn't have what he once had.

He should but it just seems he lacks the strength of a man his size as to me KK actually looked stronger. I think we saw the biggest drop in our run d when Kk went down but it was still noticeable when Poe went down. In fact you could see the drop off in the whole defense as our pass d was 2nd in the league for a quarter of the year almost. 

3 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

He should but it just seems he lacks the strength of a man his size as to me KK actually looked stronger. I think we saw the biggest drop in our run d when Kk went down but it was still noticeable when Poe went down. In fact you could see the drop off in the whole defense as our pass d was 2nd in the league for a quarter of the year almost. 

Run D not so much unfortunately that was all due to 3-4.

Passing yes.

20 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

So what are we saying Hurney should have done last year?  Sign Star to 5 years 50m the year before?  So who do we get rid of?  McCoy?  Irvin?

Who should Hurney have gotten last year to play NT?

No one here wants to acknowledge the fact that Star was dead set on becoming a free agent either.  But let's blame Hurney because Star didn't want to play here.

On 12/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ivan The Awesome said:

Silver lining is that it also did Rivera In and we won't have to deal with HIS mediocrity anymore. 

FTFY. Mediocrity still isn't out of the realm of possibility with Hurndog still in a position to mediocre everything.

6 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

But with 2 34 NTs he probably would look like Luke, I used to hate the thought of the 34 until I realized how much more tricky you could be with it although we need an actual d coordinator to run it.

Its not about which scheme I think is best.  Its what would take less time to achieve with the least amount of additional resources vested.  IMO, the defense is going to have to wait a bit until the offensive line is seriously addressed.  With that in mind, the easiest way to return to respectability with minimal cost would be the 4-3.

8 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

Addison, Irvin, burns, miller, and Haynes are fine 34 lbs and one of the two DE spots is basically a 43 3 tech UT the other a 43 1 tech. The one we are missing is the true 34 NT.

Addison and Irvin were 4-3 converts but the ultimate inability to seal the edge was the problem along with NT. It was a problem a year ago as well so I don't know why Rivera thought that would change. 

3 hours ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

Its not about which scheme I think is best.  Its what would take less time to achieve with the least amount of additional resources vested.  IMO, the defense is going to have to wait a bit until the offensive line is seriously addressed.  With that in mind, the easiest way to return to respectability with minimal cost would be the 4-3.

I halfway agree with your opinion but I just dont think we are far from transitioning properly, especially where we are picking. Also I think we can address oline in the same draft NT, C, G, NT and I think we are good to go if the stars align 

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Addison and Irvin were 4-3 converts but the ultimate inability to seal the edge was the problem along with NT. It was a problem a year ago as well so I don't know why Rivera thought that would change. 

Were most of our big runs given up off tackle or up the middle a gaps? I felt like it was from the a gaps but I could be wrong. Addison and Irvin also played well in their rolls this year imo.

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

I halfway agree with your opinion but I just dont think we are far from transitioning properly, especially where we are picking. Also I think we can address oline in the same draft NT, C, G, NT and I think we are good to go if the stars align 

I also halfway agree, if we had a draft that we hit every need it would be amazing.  Problem is the ass-hat in the FO making selections.  That aint happening.  Hasn't happened in 25 years, aint happening next year.  If we try to fix both we're looking at years of suck.  Can't have that.  Use the really good pieces on defense to regain form, and dump all resources into the O-line to protect our most valuable assets in the QB and CMC.  It has to be more important than this poor attempt at a 3-4.

1 minute ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

I also halfway agree, if we had a draft that we hit every need it would be amazing.  Problem is the ass-hat in the FO making selections.  That aint happening.  Hasn't happened in 25 years, aint happening next year.  If we try to fix both we're looking at years of suck.  Can't have that.  Use the really good pieces on defense to regain form, and dump all resources into the O-line to protect our most valuable assets in the QB and CMC.  It has to be more important than this poor attempt at a 3-4.

Touche, it should be doable but probably only if Marty is replaced....there is derrick Brooks in the 1st and high quality Cs and Gs can be found in the 2nd and 3rd....so we will just have to see.

Archived