• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rappaport: Marty Hurney heavily involved in HC search!!!

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Our resident insiders actually haven't said anything about Marty Hurney, only about Cam Newton.

Actual reporting on Hurney - including this latest report, which still acknowledges his title might be changing - has come from NFL journalists.

Hurney staying here is a disaster waiting to happen. I am amazed that this dude from a local radio show is still given the keys to a professional football franchise 

Just now, uncfan888 said:

Hurney staying here is a disaster waiting to happen. I am amazed that this dude from a local radio show is still given the keys to a professional football franchise 

We all had hope that Tepper was smart enough to know better.

Now looking like that hope might have been in vain.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not sure if it means anything at all, but outside of being mobile, Newton's never really been well suited to a West Coast Offense.

Um, isn't the WCO, rollouts, quick passes, etc etc? Before he was injured last year, he was hitting those passes. I wouldn't doubt Cam in that way, he's a smart guy and I actually believe he can thrive in a WCO. What concerns me is his health. If he's not healthy it won't matter what system is in place. 

1 minute ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Um, isn't the WCO, rollouts, quick passes, etc etc? Before he was injured last year, he was hitting those passes. I wouldn't doubt Cam in that way, he's a smart guy and I actually believe he can thrive in a WCO. What concerns me is his health. If he's not healthy it won't matter what system is in place. 

Intelligence isn't a question.  WCO is all timing and rhythm. Those aren't his strengths.

The bigger thing though? Part of the reason the WCO needs a mobile quarterback is that they don't keep extra blockers back. They send everybody out in patterns.

Granted, Newton might be used to running for his life at this point, but still...

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basically, the guy who brought us John Fox and Ron Rivera has a say in who our next head coach is.

My optimism for our future just took a serious nosedive.

The Big Cat made those hires...

...just as Tepper will make the next coaching hire.

You're at an inflection point and need to make a decision --- either get on board with Big Tepp & Hurndog or go find another squad to pull for.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Consider for a moment that we could potentially go into next season without Cam Newton but with Marty Hurney.

Good luck sleeping tonight :poison:

Virtually the only upside to keeping Hurney IMO is that I think it probably makes it much more likely that we keep Cam.

Just please dear god don't let Hurney ink that extension. I love Cam and I want him here for a long time still, but we can't give a guy who has struggled with injuries for three straight seasons a classic Hurney veteran extension 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Virtually the only upside to keeping Hurney IMO is that I think it probably makes it much more likely that we keep Cam.

Just please dear god don't let Hurney ink that extension. I love Cam and I want him here for a long time still, but we can't give a guy who has struggled with injuries for three straight seasons a classic Hurney veteran extension 

Even in that scenario, Hurney's never put a good enough team around Newton.

I sure as hell wouldn't want Newton stuck behind another Marty-built offensive line.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Intelligence isn't a question.  WCO is all timing and rhythm. Those aren't his strengths.

The bigger thing though? Part of the reason the WCO needs a mobile quarterback is that they don't keep extra blockers back. They send everybody out in patterns.

Granted, Newton might be used to running for his life at this point, but still...

All systems take that tho...even the Air Coryell, it's just that it took TOO much timing that didn't allow this offense to get into Rhythm. Honestly I think he'd be good in that system. 

Just now, Ivan The Awesome said:

All systems take that tho...even the Air Coryell, it's just that it took TOO much timing that didn't allow this offense to get into Rhythm. Honestly I think he'd be good in that system. 

To be honest, the guy whose system actually offers the best possible fit for Newton would be Josh McDaniels. His E-P system is fairly similar to the Coryell, but with different terminology and not as much emphasis on the long ball.

Basically, it'd look a lot like what we saw in the first half of 2018 before Newton got hurt.

1 hour ago, SBiii said:

The Big Cat made those hires...

...just as Tepper will make the next coaching hire.

You're at an inflection point and need to make a decision --- either get on board with Big Tepp & Hurndog or go find another squad to pull for.

The whole “pull for another team if you don’t like it” bit. That’s bullshit. We all have a right to complain about ownership and management on this forum. We don’t work for the Panthers. This is a perfect time clean the entire house and he’s keeping Hurney. 

Archived