• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's formally divide into factions on Matt Rhule

Gesualdo

I just don't know..BUT! For message board insult purposes, here we go.

Pro Rhule all the way! Tepper isn't just football, smart. He's "smart" smart. The old way of carousel retreads is going to be a thing of the past once Tepp and Rhule revolutionize the NFL. Rhule isn't married to some gimmicky college system and his leadership will translate to the pros. We will have multiple titles and sustained excellence under the rule of Rhule. Mark it. Bump this post and give it a whole pie when Matt is hoisting that Lombardi in 2021. (or early 2022)

Bonus content : Bieniemy and Stefanski will be coaching pop warner teams within 3 years.

4 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I hate that people are now looking for any remote coaching similarities to Rivera and using that as a way to analyze if the next coach will be successful before he's even started.

There was good and bad with Ron. The bad mostly stemmed from his own stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt. That is ultimately what cost him his job. I imagine we had some blunt discussions with Rhule about this in the interview.

I think rhule is an innovator and not stoic...could be wrong but I'm probably right.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Whoa now....I ain't giving titles back. I loved Smitty but not that much. 

Cam and his injuries are going to be the story because of the multitude of them  over the past 3 seasons. It's a byproduct of playing the style of physical football that he does. I agree that running is part of his game, you cannot completely remove that and have him be the same kind of player. But he hasn't been able to stay healthy and that is a huge problem when you are facing a contract year and a decision for the franchise on his future here. If he gets injured and misses time again next season(assuming he returns)......I think that you have to move on. I will HATE it and I will not AGREE with it, but I will completely understand it. We cannot have franchise QB money tied up into a guy that can't stay healthy, it's a recipe for disaster. It's a recipe for continuing to see guys like Kyle Allen and Will Grier come in and lose games. 

About smitty, hes one of 2 of my idols so ya know lol. But prime smitty Cam and CMC equals title anyway.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

(i)  ...explain the actual rational in making a college coach (without a great college resume based on the standards of others that have made the jump) the 6th highest paid coach in the NFL.  I mean he could be the highest paid.  

(ii)  The only argument is, well whatever it takes to get him is all that matters and nothing matters outside that 

(iii)  But the huge contract does matter if Rhule ends up being a mistake.  Because it ties us to the mistake for longer than if he had a more reasonable deal.  

(iv)  Because now I think you are essentially arguing Tepper will just burn money just because and nothing matters.  

(v)  Lot of NFL owners got fug you money.  Tepper isn’t unique there really.  Plus the ego vs mistake issue that always comes into play in scenarios.  

(i)  If he were the highest paid, it would be irrelevant.

(ii)  That's exactly what happened.  Big Tepp kept slapping million $$$ bills on the table until Rhule said yes.

(iii)  In no way is Big Tepp or the Panthers tied to anything.  If he chose to Tepp could buy his way out of the contract before Rhule ever coached a game.

(iv)  If in X-years (pick your time frame) Rhule is failing miserably Big Tepp will in fact pay the guy to go away.  A $32 million buyout would only take us back to 2019 on seconds/time scale....Tepp's money goes back 1636 on the same time scale.

(v)  Two things to be aware of:  (a) None have the money Big Tepp does.  (b) The vast majority of the others (if not all of them) have minority partners to whom the managing partner has a fiduciary responsibility....this is not the case with Tepper.  Let me know if it's unclear why this is so important.

6 minutes ago, SBiii said:

(i)  If he were the highest paid, it would be irrelevant.

(ii)  That's exactly what happened.  Big Tepp kept slapping million $$$ bills on the table until Rhule said yes.

(iii)  In no way is Big Tepp or the Panthers tied to anything.  If he chose to Tepp could buy his way out of the contract before Rhule ever coached a game.

(iv)  If in X-years (pick your time frame) Rhule is failing miserably Big Tepp will in fact pay the guy to go away.  A $32 million buyout would only take us back to 2019 on seconds/time scale....Tepp's money goes back 1636 on the same time scale.

(v)  Two things to be aware of:  (a) None have the money Big Tepp does.  (b) The vast majority of the others (if not all of them) have minority partners to whom the managing partner has a fiduciary responsibility....this is not the case with Tepper.  Let me know if it's unclear why this is so important.

If he is overpaid at #1...then he is overpaid at #6. 

lot of college guys have flopped hard and quick.  to say the contract doesn't matter at all? well, agree to disagree.  NFL history has proven it does matter.   That contracts impact how long guys stay. 

to be clear, the difference in wealth between Tepper and other top owners....is irrelevant in the context of what it allows them to do w/ their coach. 

1 hour ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I just don't know..BUT! For message board insult purposes, here we go.

Pro Rhule all the way! Tepper isn't just football, smart. He's "smart" smart. The old way of carousel retreads is going to be a thing of the past once Tepp and Rhule revolutionize the NFL. Rhule isn't married to some gimmicky college system and his leadership will translate to the pros. We will have multiple titles and sustained excellence under the rule of Rhule. Mark it. Bump this post and give it a whole pie when Matt is hoisting that Lombardi in 2021. (or early 2022)

Bonus content : Bieniemy and Stefanski will be coaching pop warner teams within 3 years.

we actually have no idea what Tepper is in regards to his ability to put a good football team on the field. 

being great at accumulating wealth doesn't then equate to being a master at everything in life.    

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

(i)  If he is overpaid at #1...then he is overpaid at #6. 

(ii)  lot of college guys have flopped hard and quick.  to say the contract doesn't matter at all? well, agree to disagree.  NFL history has proven it does matter.   That contracts impact how long guys stay. 

(iii)  to be clear, the difference in wealth between Tepper and other top owners....is irrelevant in the context of what it allows them to do w/ their coach. 

(i)  Whether he is #1 or #6...overpaid or underpaid....is in no way relevant.  None of those affect on field performance....nor do they constrain investment in other parts of the organization in any way.

(ii)  Rhule may flop too.  How much money Tepper burns finding out is, again, irrelevant.  Doesn't affect anything.

(iii)  Your premise here is completely wrong.  Tepper has no partners, and he has way more cash than any other NFL owner.  As such, he can run the business at a loss if he chooses to. 

If other owners who have partners run the business at a loss, when the calendar flips the partners are asked to write a check to replenish the coffers.  Partners don't like this....so pretty much all pro sports managing partners try not to go there.

Tepper is not limited in this way....it is a very relevant factor.

7 minutes ago, SBiii said:

(i)  Whether he is #1 or #6...overpaid or underpaid....is in no way relevant.  None of those affect on field performance....nor do they constrain investment in other parts of the organization in any way.

(ii)  Rhule may flop too.  How much money Tepper burns finding out is, again, irrelevant.  Doesn't affect anything.

(iii)  Your premise here is completely wrong.  Tepper has no partners, and he has way more cash than any other NFL owner.  As such, he can run the business at a loss if he chooses to. 

If other owners who have partners run the business at a loss, when the calendar flips the partners are asked to write a check to replenish the coffers.  Partners don't like this....so pretty much all pro sports managing partners try not to go there.

Tepper is not limited in this way....it is a very relevant factor.

1.  NFL has shown it can and does impact how quickly a team moves on from a coach

2.  see 1

3.  when you are talking about the sums of money some (not all) have? Yeah, the difference is irrelevant with a lot of them.    Tepper isn't some singular unique fish.  Even if he ranks presently at the top. 

6 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

We drastically overpaid for a college football coach

"We" didnt pay for anything. The salary is irrelevant to anyone but the man paying it 

Damn right. He's not even top 5 paid. Seriously.  

I never gave a damn about how much a coach is paid, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

3 hours ago, CRA said:

1.  NFL has shown it can and does impact how quickly a team moves on from a coach

2.  see 1

3.  when you are talking about the sums of money some (not all) have? Yeah, the difference is irrelevant with a lot of them.    Tepper isn't some singular unique fish.  Even if he ranks presently at the top. 

There's a new sheriff in town and the paradigm you're trying to fit around him does not apply.

Archived