• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We need to be wise with Cam

DaveThePanther2008

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like we did last year?

And this time with a rookie coach?

Tepper knows we need a rebuild. You could hear it when he repeatedly described Matt Rhule as a program builder.

But it's not guaranteed to work. We don't know if Rhule is a good NFL coach. We don't really even know if Tepper is a good NFL owner.

Its not guaranteed to work at all and odds are it will not but going off Teppers comments and to a degree Rhules they are going to try and build something from the ground up.  And for the life of me I cannot imagine a scenario where its built around Cam

6 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

So let me get this straight: If he performs worse than expected, your suggestion is to tag a 30 plus qb with a 3 year injury history? 

You do realize the tag means paying a player the average of top 5 at his position? 

So you propose to pay an aging qb with injury questions better than all but 3 or so of the players at the most expensive position in football?

In a league where salary cap management is a key component of success?

You might wanna rethink that part of your plan chief, cause I love me some Cam, but regardless of qb, that would not be an approach i’d say made much sense. If he plays well, great, but that’s the easier part of the equation. Everyone wants to have that problem. The real dilemma is if he can’t, and to be frank I think your suggestion of what to do there needs some rethinking.

I personally think you extend him if he isnt willing to play on a 1 year contract with any guaranteed money front loaded and the rest very incentive based..both sides take a gamble with a 25m a year contract with incentives. 

5 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

We wont know until we make sure we field a team he can win with, throw him into the fire, hes a grown ass man and will either succeed or not. We had a 5 game win streak last year with KA leading. 

Again, we tried that already. It didn't go so well.

I get that nobody wants to watch more losing, but the reality is that this team is bad right now, very bad. It needs major fixes, not minor ones.

Trying to sign a bunch of free agents and go into "win now" mode for one year is like buying expensive new windows for a house whose foundation is crumbling.

This is going to take time, and we'd best buckle up for that.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that nobody wants to watch more losing, but the reality is that this team is bad right now, very bad. It needs major fixes, not minor ones.

Trying to sign a bunch of free agents and go into "win now" mode for one year is like buying expensive new windows for a house that's foundation is crumbling.

I think we need a FA slot Cb and a FA LT, I just dont see this lack of talent that you speak of. Fox the center of both trenches with the first two picks and we will be in a better position then teams that made it to the playoffs this year if they are coached correctly. Not attacking your beliefs I just think theirs more to this roster then most, a team that went on a 5 game win streak beating some pretty good teams along the way with KA at the helm. Worst case scenario we loose and get a high draft pick for a qb next year.

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

I think we need a FA slot Cb and a FA LT, I just dont see this lack of talent that you speak of. Fox the center of both trenches with the first two picks and we will be in a better position then teams that made it to the playoffs this year if they are coached correctly. Not attacking your beliefs I just think theirs more to this roster then most, a team that went on a 5 game win streak beating some pretty good teams along the way with KA at the helm. Worst case scenario we loose and get a high draft pick for a qb next year.

I dont think you can just sign a LT that is quality.  We literally just went through that.  We also need linebacker depth, another wr, a ton of help on the dline and our secondary is putrid.  I am willing to give Paradis a pass because he had no talent around him but he had a bad year.  maybe he bounces back who knows.  Not only do we lack depth at key positions we lack freaking starters at those positions.  I get being optimistic but being realistic makes more sense at this point

You don’t buy anything for a couple billion to cling yourself to an old guard and QB who might return to a greatness that didn’t net a SB, who is only so accurate, and coming off of a significant injury history.

What we are doing right now is maximizing Cam’s value in the market by trying to get him healthy. Tepper and Ruhle want to build their way. They didn’t snatch Brady away from LSU to perhaps work with damaged goods that, even if healthy inserts more risk due to his playing style and age. I love Cam, but he was NEVER going to age well even IF he had a clean health history.

And the only thing worse than being bad in a league built around parity is being mediocre. Revenue sharing and the fact we have the richest owner in the league makes things like short term perception and fielding “a decent team” irrevelant. And it should.

As fans we can have our opinions on what we would do with the limited info we have. But what do I think should ultimately happen? That Tepper and Ruhle do EXACTLY what they want with ALL the info. I think that’ll be a full rebuild, so bring it on.

4 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Sorry dude. Optimism great, but fixing this team is nowhere near that simple.

We're definitely not just two or three players away from being great. Wish we were, but there's not a quick fix here and all indications are that Tepper understands that. That's why he's talking in the terms that he is.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Trying to sign a bunch of free agents and go into "win now" mode for one year is like buying expensive new windows for a house whose foundation is crumbling.

Plus our foundation is CMC, Moore, Burns, Cam if retained, and whoever our top 10 pick is this year. It actually sounds fairly competitive right there not to mention some other pieces like KK, Bradberry, Curtis and a few others that are far above average. Like I've said, I've seen far worse teams make a push. We can rebuild or whatever while we at least try and not make my eyes bleed.

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont think you can just sign a LT that is quality.  We literally just went through that.  We also need linebacker depth, another wr, a ton of help on the dline and our secondary is putrid.  I am willing to give Paradis a pass because he had no talent around him but he had a bad year.  maybe he bounces back who knows.  Not only do we lack depth at key positions we lack freaking starters at those positions.  I get being optimistic but being realistic makes more sense at this point

Draft a center in the 2nd, I dont give Paradis a pass, and as far as LT goes, a purely 1 year rental of a proven Vet like jason peters. No more huge contracts that will hamper us down the road. We also have yet to see what we have in the lbs we drafted and shaq will do fine inside.  Outside we have plenty that can get it done especially in an aggressive defense where we are running nickel. The one decent contract I would hand out is a known alot wr, hell kendall fuller just had a down year, he might come cheaper. Let little develop a little more. I dont think our wr situation is bad at all but that may just be me.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What exactly is wrong with keeping Cam and rebuilding the oline and dline? We'd likely be doing the same thing regardless if Cam is here or not..it has to happen, and honestly the oline is literally the only issue on the offense. Defense will need a bit more work and I'm sure we'll have an infusion of young players playing on the D next year but so what? If we can put up points it wont matter as much. And we aren't sacrificing anything for the future

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry dude. Optimism great, but fixing this team is nowhere near that simple.

We're definitely not just two or three players away from being great. Wish we were, but there's not a quick fix here and all indications are that Tepper understands that. That's why he's talking in the terms that he is.

You can take alot of what these guys say with a grain of salt, please tell me what positions we will be missing so much at running a nickel base and maybe you can prove me wrong. I'm fine with being wrong.

2 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Plus our foundation is CMC, Moore, Burns, Cam if retained, and whoever our top 10 pick is this year. It actually sounds fairly competitive right there not to mention some other pieces like KK, Bradberry, Curtis and a few others that are far above average. Like I've said, I've seen far worse teams make a push. We can rebuild or whatever while we at least try and not make my eyes bleed.

I'm sure I could name you half a dozen really good players on the Browns too. Unfortunately, having a few good players doesn't make you a good team.

When a team needs an overhaul, continually trying to win now accomplishes nothing but making the process longer.

Let's say the rebuilding process takes three years. We can start now and three years from now be better. Or we can keep trying to win now for two more years, then finally start the process and we'll all have been waiting five years for something we could have accomplished in just three.

Better to get it going. The sooner you start, the sooner you can finish.

1 minute ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

What exactly is wrong with keeping Cam and rebuilding the oline and dline? We'd likely be doing the same thing regardless if Cam is here or not..it has to happen, and honestly the oline is literally the only issue on the offense. Defense will need a bit more work and I'm sure we'll have an infusion of young players playing on the D next year but so what? If we can put up points it wont matter as much. And we aren't sacrificing anything for the future

You fix the trenches you fix the lbs wich fixes the secondary, we aren't that far off.

Archived