• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We need to be wise with Cam

DaveThePanther2008

If Trading Cam is an option than we need to get maximum value for him and don't give him away for nothing. If we can't get what we want than let him play out 2020.

If he performs well than we get the best contract we can with him. Worst case we Tag him.

I think he'll do great in Brady's offense.  

Giving him away make no sense.

It's a gamble but someone will take him in free agency and we'll get a compensatory pick for him but if he shines.  We have time to groom a replacement. 

Exactly, people on here wanting to give Cam away for scraps.  Cam is a former MVP and proven QB.  If he is healthy you have to stick with the sure thing.  If you want a QB for the future take one in the second and let him sit behind Cam.  

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed with all the “we need to do this with cam,” and “we” that?

I mean, it’s not like I disagree with your premise, or don’t understand where you are coming from- but the reality is that WE, the collective huddlers, fans, and critics- have absolutely no control or sway in whatever decisions the front office decides. 

“We” being wise will have no bearing on whether or not the team acts in the manner “we” see fit. They may dump him, they may trade him, they might keep him. Some will applaud, some will bitch and moan- no matter what the outcome is. 

If you want to preach about what we should do, maybe talk about how WE should brace ourselves for whatever the team decides. 

16 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed with all the “we need to do this with cam,” and “we” that?

I mean, it’s not like I disagree with your premise, or don’t understand where you are coming from- but the reality is that WE, the collective huddlers, fans, and critics- have absolutely no control or sway in whatever decisions the front office decides. 

“We” being wise will have no bearing on whether or not the team acts in the manner “we” see fit. They may dump him, they may trade him, they might keep him. Some will applaud, some will bitch and moan- no matter what the outcome is. 

If you want to preach about what we should do, maybe talk about how WE should brace ourselves for whatever the team decides. 

I agree.  It’s a tough situation and lots of unknowns.  It should go without saying if there is a trade the team will seek the best possible deal for him.  I don’t think they are going to look at offers and decline because the other team is offering too much.  

If a trade does happen there will be an outpouring of “the FO is full of a bunch of idiots and they didn’t get enough for him” threads.  The real quandary is are you trying to trade an MVP that changed the QB position in the NFL or an injury ridden 31year old with a questionable shelf life.
I suspect the answer is between the two extremes.  

If Tepper decides to trade or release Cam he immediately becomes the villain to a large portion of the fan base. 

If Cam goes on to be successful on another team, fans will remain pissed off until a new QB wins games and takes the Panthers to the playoffs and beyond.

Cam is coming off 2 big injuries and only has 1 year left on his deal. What can we reasonably expect teams to give up? We would be lucky to get a 2nd or even a 3rd at this point. The other option is to release him, but again what are we going to do with the cap space that creates this year? Who would we sign with that money? 

It just doesn't make sense to part with someone like Cam when you can still rebuild around him. Imagine if we kept Cam and drafted/signed a few players on the oline and the dline? Wed still be able to compete while bringing in young talent to fill out the depth chart. That seems like a better and more securing path to success in the short and long term.

2 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Cam is coming off 2 big injuries and only has 1 year left on his deal. What can we reasonably expect teams to give up? We would be lucky to get a 2nd or even a 3rd at this point. The other option is to release him, but again what are we going to do with the cap space that creates this year? Who would we sign with that money? 

It just doesn't make sense to part with someone like Cam you can still rebuild around. Imagine if we kept Cam and drafted/signed a few players on the oline and the dline? Wed still be able to compete while bringing in young talent to fill out the depth chart. That seems like a better and more securing path to success.

See I get this idea, I really do.  However the timing is terrible for us.  Tepper has said in so many words he doesnt want to be hindered by a big qb contract.  We can play Cam next season (assuming he plays on the current deal and is you know healthy) but after 2020 he is going to want a another big contract and that doesnt jive with what this franchise is trying to do.   Its terrible timing for both parties. 

And another big question is we do not know if he will ever be 100% healthy again.  Thats just a huge unknown as we sit here on 1/17/20.  How can Rhule come up with a plan for the future with that hanging over his head?

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

See I get this idea, I really do.  However the timing is terrible for us.  Tepper has said in so many words he doesnt want to be hindered by a big qb contract.  We can play Cam next season (assuming he plays on the current deal and is you know healthy) but after 2020 he is going to want a another big contract and that doesnt jive with what this franchise is trying to do.   Its terrible timing for both parties. 

And another big question is we do not know if he will ever be 100% healthy again.  Thats just a huge unknown as we sit here on 1/17/20.  How can Rhule come up with a plan for the future with that hanging over his head?

What else are we going to do at Qb for this upcoming season? If Cam gets hurt its the same as trading/releasing him, we suck get a high pick next year. Getting rid of Cam this year literally has 0 benefits for us. Keep Cam rebuild the trenches and this team remains competitive. Get rid of Cam and mortgage the future on a BUNCH of unknowns and uncertainties sounds like a recipie for disaster and the quickest way to turn this team into the Browns of the NFC.

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

Exactly, people on here wanting to give Cam away for scraps.  Cam is a former MVP and proven QB.  If he is healthy you have to stick with the sure thing.  If you want a QB for the future take one in the second and let him sit behind Cam.  

I say we draft a qb next year, this gives Grier one more year to prove hes not a bum and if Cam doesnt play up to snuff we should get another high draft pick. That 2nd round pick has got to be used on center, I think all the best ones will be there at our 2nd pick and gone by our 3rd. Give the man a pocket! A good center improves the whole line!

6 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

What else are we going to do at Qb for this upcoming season? If Cam gets hurt its the same as trading/releasing him, we suck get a high pick next year. Getting rid of Cam this year literally has 0 benefits for us. Keep Cam rebuild the trenches and this team remains competitive. Get rid of Cam and mortgage the future on a BUNCH of unknowns and uncertainties sounds like a recipie for disaster and the quickest way to turn this team into the Browns of the NFC.

I dont think Tepper cares about being competitive at this stage in the game.  I think he wants Rhule to figure things out and build it in his model.  As far as qb keep trotting WG or Allen out there and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont think Tepper cares about being competitive at this stage in the game.  I think he wants Rhule to figure things out and build it in his model.  As far as qb keep trotting WG or Allen out there and see what happens. 

Without being competitive we dont fill the stands, from a buisness side of things this is a no no. There is a path that is very plausible that keeps us competitive and doesnt hurt our future next year but it requires Cam. I'm fact it makes us a top team barring injuries of course but we can use the latter part of the draft for depth. 

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If Trading Cam is an option than we need to get maximum value for him and don't give him away for nothing. If we can't get what we want than let him play out 2020.

The problem with this scenario is it's one-sided. It assumes that Newton would just accept playing out the last year of his contract with no guarantees.

He doesn't have to, and it's not a given that the Panthers would force him to.

2 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Without being competitive we dont fill the stands, from a buisness side of things this is a no no. There is a path that is very plausible that keeps us competitive and doesnt hurt our future next year but it requires Cam. I'm fact it makes us a top team barring injuries of course but we can use the latter part of the draft for depth. 

A top team?  Man some of you guys are just too emotional about this.

Tepper said, his words, it may take 5 years of mediocre results to get to where he wants us to be in a place of consistent winning.  He said that.  I think he is okay with taking our lumps for a couple of seasons.

Archived