• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baylor's Sean Padden hired as VP of Football Operations

jamos14

12 hours ago, Snake said:

We are taking huge risks. 

After Rivera, I'm pretty OK with that.

Will it work out?  Maybe not.  It may be the worst thing in the history of the franchise.

But its darned sure more interesting and hopeful than utter mediocrity year after year.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, like everyone I'm wishing for the best, but as I sit back and watch this process I keep getting haunted by the ghost of Chip Kelly.

Here's hoping it's just me he haunts and not the Panthers.

I’m telling you right now, Chip Kelly had more NFL experience on his first staff. 

Also, look at that front office. You don’t have Marty at the top of this food chain, with a mixed bag of people reporting to him. 

3F7F3197-4ECD-4C0F-BF10-F76CF4C4C630.jpeg

EAA97E77-D70A-4F07-8068-D6F8BB166971.jpeg

7B4F6531-8D90-4E98-B271-B78C0A4353C5.png

15 hours ago, jamos14 said:
This is one hire I don't like at all.  I'm ok with the college coaches because coaching football & leadership translates.  This VP position was supposed to be all about pro scouting/cap management and allow Marty to focus on college scouting.  Padden has 0 experience in the NFL/scouting/salary cap management.

Its a position that didn't exist here prior to now, correct?  It puts another insulating layer around our schitt GM.  They could hire the doorman outside to be VP. As long as his job is to birddog Hurn-dog and say "no" or "what about this instead" or "You look tired, you should quit".  Whatever he needs to hear at the time.

10 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

After Rivera, I'm pretty OK with that.

Will it work out?  Maybe not.  It may be the worst thing in the history of the franchise.

But its darned sure more interesting and hopeful than utter mediocrity year after year.

We still have the king of mediocrity Marty Hurney. The same guy who gave you John Fox and Ron Rivera. 

20 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, like everyone I'm wishing for the best, but as I sit back and watch this process I keep getting haunted by the ghost of Chip Kelly.

Here's hoping it's just me he haunts and not the Panthers.

The Chip Kelly comparison is an obvious one, but you have to dig a little deeper. Kelly actually had significant early success with the Eagles, it was the constant power grabs and ultimately his own inflated ego that he couldn't get around to become a consistently successful NFL head coach. There are definitely concerns with the new staff the Panthers have assembled. But it all hinges on Rhule's ability to bring everyone together and have all these moving parts seamlessly functioning in unison. Just how successful he will be in that particular area will determine whether he ends up another failed college coach in the mold of Kelly or potentially another Pete Carroll by establishing longevity through continuously evolving and adapting instead of forcing dated philosophies.

Archived