• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Blue Whale in the Room

Delhommey

Our special teams may very well be the worst in the league.

Granted punt coverage did somewhat better but any kick that Lloyd doesn't put deep in the endzone or Baker doesn't sky (both which are happening more than I'd like) has a great chance of being run back deep.

Our return team has made it to where a fair catch is almost the best possible scenario.

In even the rosiest of scenarios, I find it hard to picture ST's not keeping us from the bare minimum 6 wins we'd need for the post season. It certainly was a major contributor to our loss against the Bills (and I'm not even talking about Moore's muff).

Danny Crossman, you are an ass.

there's damned all we can do about it. cross your fingers and hope the organization highlights the problems and finds ways to fix them. to their credit, Fox and company have been awfully good at coming up with legit fixes at just the right time in the past; hopefully as the team continues to gel, special teams will follow suit and we'll have a solid unit by december.

Last year the sleeping dog for the most part stayed asleep.

This year it keeps busting out tipping over garbage cans in the neighborhood.

Gotta get Crossman back in his cage, or better sent to the pound.

Mark Jones saved us from looking like absolute ass (and even he couldn't make it past a kicker, ever.)

The last couple of games have, admittedly, been an improvement. Maybe the players are slowly adjusting to a banned-wedge return scheme...

Mark Jones saved us from looking like absolute ass (and even he couldn't make it past a kicker, ever.)

The last couple of games have, admittedly, been an improvement. Maybe the players are slowly adjusting to a banned-wedge return scheme...

true dat on Marc Jones.

I for one, this season more than most, feel that as long as the we don't fumble it was very successful, when we punt is when I panic the most, Baker looks like he's in slow motion. I don't recall it being like that last year?

who was the gunner on sunday

there seemed to be someone breaking contain every single play, i liked that.

i noticed that as well.

for most of the season it has been downright disgusting but last week it looked like a different team, at least on punts. it wasn't flawless by any means but it also wasn't nearly as bad as it has been.

the cards average 8 yards per punt return but we held them to 6 avg. yards per return on 4 punts....27 total. not bad, especially when we got 45 yards on 3 punts (15 avg). the captain looked pretty good. aside from his one fair catch, he had punt returns for 8, 19, and 18 yards.

here's how our punts looked:

1st- 15-S.Breaston to ARZ 41 for 3 yards (26-Q.Teal).

2nd- fair catch by 15-S.Breaston.

3rd- 15-S.Breaston to ARZ 10 for -1 yards (21-D.Wesley, 82-G.Barnidge) OFFENSIVE HOLDING

3rd (take 2)- 15-S.Breaston to ARZ 30 for 14 yards (50-J.Anderson). FUMBLES (50-J.Anderson), and recovers at ARZ 33. 15-S.Breaston to ARZ 33 for no gain (42-T.Fiammetta).

4th- 15-S.Breaston to ARZ 20 for 6 yards (53-N.Diggs, 43-C.Harris).

5th- Touchback.

6th- 15-S.Breaston to ARZ 25 for 1 yard (21-D.Wesley).

considering what has happened in the past...that isn't a bad performance. pretty downright respectable, imo. i liked that we got chris harris involved.

now for kickoffs....

their return man, stephen hawkings or whatever his name is (lol), is averaging 22.9 yards per return. the cards have only been allowing 21.4. we...uhhh...haven't been nearly that good.our average return, 18.7. opponents average return, 32.3 yards.

here's how our returns looked:

to CAR 10. 81-K.Moore to CAR 26 for 16 yards (1-N.Rackers).

to CAR -3. 33-M.Goodson to CAR 13 for 16 yards (85-J.Urban).

to CAR 16. 33-M.Goodson pushed ob at CAR 21 for 5 yards (27-M.Adams).

to CAR -2. 33-M.Goodson to CAR 31 for 33 yards (1-N.Rackers).

70 yards total, 17.5 avg....meh.

cards returns:

to ARZ 1. 36-L.Stephens-Howling to ARZ 19 for 18 yards (55-D.Connor).

to end zone, Touchback.

to end zone, Touchback.

to ARZ -3. 36-L.Stephens-Howling to ARZ 26 for 29 yards (82-G.Barnidge).

to ARZ -2. 36-L.Stephens-Howling to ARZ 24 for 26 yards (55-D.Connor).

to ARZ -2. 36-L.Stephens-Howling pushed ob at CAR 49 for 53 yards (5-R.Lloyd).

to end zone, Touchback.

126 total, 31.5 avg....another meh.

punt returns i think we have seen an improvement. i feel good about that.

kick returns, though. no way crossman be given a pass on that. kicking and receiving is horrible. lloyd is putting it into the endzone every kick but our coverage is really bad. our returns are just as bad. something needs to happen there in a big way.

Archived