• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020 class stacked at OT

GoPanthers123

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I have runs countless simulations, at worst we get Simmons.  I have yet to see a simulation that has Brown, Okunda and Simmons all gone.  Usually 2 of the 3 are on the board and in the small number of instances only one is left, it's always Simmons.

Giants could easily go Simmons needing LBers. Detroit has been mocked Brown and or Okudah often. That would only leave Miami or LAC deciding to not take a QB or an OT.

I think we’ll get 1 of the 3, but it’s not impossible that the BPA would be a tackle.

6 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Burrow, Young and Tua are locks to go in the top 6. We'd have to be pretty damn unlucky for the other 3 picks to be Okudah, Simmons and Brown. If someone leap frogs Miami for Tua, then we will definitely have a defensive stud drop to us. Gettleman likes his hog mollies so perhaps he goes tackle. And most peg the Chargers to take either Herbert or a tackle. There's a reasonable chance we have our pick of 2 of the 3. 

If somehow our nightmare scenario unfolds, I'd scramble to trade down.

I agree we should but if we know that those 3 are the other non-QB studs, then the others will as well. Gettleman has taken DT (multiple times) and LB in the first. He hasn’t taken an OL in the first. Chargers need a DT/NT and CB and there was an SI article about taking Simmons. OTs are possible but OTs are deep so do you get one of the top 2 D studs and go OT in day 2?

Again, I think we’ll be OK but Miami not liking Tua enough would really make us worry.

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Giants could easily go Simmons needing LBers. Detroit has been mocked Brown and or Okudah often. That would only leave Miami or LAC deciding to not take a QB or an OT.

I think we’ll get 1 of the 3, but it’s not impossible that the BPA would be a tackle.

Trade back in that case, because all of the OTs are still available in that very unlikely scenario.  Moving back to the Raiders or Colts will still land us one of the top 4 OTs in the early teens.  Might as well get an extra pick in the process and draft Kinlaw, Wirfs or Wills.

8 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Here's a fact, NONE of the OTs in this draft are tailor-made ready to start as Simmons, Okunda or Brown.  Skipping over any of those 3 for an OT in the first round would have very, very  stupid.

Not a fact, an opinion. Facts can be objectively verified. What you've stated is an opinion on who is more NFL ready, not an objective fact. Hyperbole doesn't make your case stronger. Having said that I'm mostly inclined to agree, and personally glad we got Okung. I think he will be a better option this year than any rookie, and this year is critical for evaluating Cam.

7 hours ago, 45catfan said:

In order for us to miss out one of those 3 defensive guys, no OTs get drafted and no QBs to either Miami or the Chargers.

Could it happen?  Yes, but the odds are insanely low.

I'm not in favor of drafting Simmons, not because I have anything against him, but to me the current NFL landscape devalues LB'ers and with so much other talent at positions  that have greater impact available, I don't want to use a top 10 pick on any linebacker. But now that we have Okung, I'd be all over Brown or the CB.

9 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Does the new trade confirm we will not grab a tackle in a draft that is loaded with them?  We couldn’t miss a good tackle this year, there are so many of them.  What could Hurney be thinking here?

He is stupid....take an old washed up vet.  Not even get a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick and think it is a fair deal.  

9 hours ago, stbugs said:

He’s a moron. Let’s be honest. 2018 and 2019 drafts were great for interior OL. We reached and spent our 2nd and 3rd on a mediocre tackle who was dropping like a rock pre-draft instead of what appears to be a perennial pro-bowl C that the Saints took. Now that 2020 looks like a great and deep T class we have no need for a good young tackle.

SMH, why draft to the strength of the draft class when you can spend extra picks to move up for reaches where the draft is thinner?

We could have had Thomas, Willis, or Becton and now we have a 31 year old player who only played 6 games last year and just exploded our right side of the Offensive line up.  So is it going to be Daley and Morton on the right side and Russell and Little on the left side.  How bad is this going to get.

9 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Here's a fact, NONE of the OTs in this draft are tailor-made ready to start as Simmons, Okunda or Brown.  Skipping over any of those 3 for an OT in the first round would have very, very  stupid.

Giants are targeting either Becton or Willis.... that would give us a shot at who the Giants don't take.  The one thing we do know...Becton, Willis and or Thomas are all better than what we had at LT last year.  We are betting the season and keeping Cam safe on a 31 year old player....who is costing us more money than Turner would have.

3 hours ago, SOJA said:

I would hope our thinking is that we would not nab one in round 1 but rather wait till round 2 and see if any diamonds are still left 

We did that last year.....and how well did it work for us....not to damn good!  Why not just bite the bullet and get the golden ring at the start

13 hours ago, stbugs said:

I agree we should but if we know that those 3 are the other non-QB studs, then the others will as well. Gettleman has taken DT (multiple times) and LB in the first. He hasn’t taken an OL in the first. Chargers need a DT/NT and CB and there was an SI article about taking Simmons. OTs are possible but OTs are deep so do you get one of the top 2 D studs and go OT in day 2?

Again, I think we’ll be OK but Miami not liking Tua enough would really make us worry.

How would this work - Indy, Chargers, and Panthers work a 3-way. 

Panthers out: Cam (to SD) and 7 to Indy.  Panthers get 34 from Indy and 6 from SD (plus lose Cam's salary.  The 6th pick makes them assured of getting one of the Defensive players they crave and an extra 2nd.  Indy gives up 34 and 13 but gets 7, which allows them to choose between Herbert and Love.  SD gets Cam and 13 - where they can still get one of the top LTs. 

Everyone wins.

Archived