• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive End

yasuhara2241

It seems like much of this draft talk has been about DT and CB and I totally get why, but why so little talk about DE? We all are assuming Burns is going to be on one side but do we think that Miller and Haynes will be good for the other side? 

Seems like a weak DE class but there are some pretty good players mid first round until about the 3rd. 

Mid to late 1st: Chaisson / AJ Epenesa

Late 1st to Early 2nd: Moss / Baun / Uche / Terrell Lewis

3rd: Weaver / Okwara / Greenard / Zuniga / Willekes / Anae

Anybody like any of these players? 

If we did a trade back and got and extra second and got like Chaisson / Blacklock or similar / Cameron Dantzler or similar with our 1st round and 2 2nds be a good move? 

Brian Burns simply isn't a 4-3 DE. Honestly switching right back to a 4-3 immediately after investing a 1st round pick in a guy that can probably only play in a 3-4 seems like a bad idea, especially with the only other 2 pass rushers on the roster being much better 3-4 fits than 4-3.

They signed DE Stephen Weatherly form the viking too. Plus added another DE Chris Smith former Brown.

That said Ive been driving the "add DE/edge" bus, its just tricky this year with a weak class. I believe the first three picks need to be CB, DT, and DE(in no order). DE is #2 in value terms and with the panthers picking low in each round they should invest a pick there. Just sooo many holes tho, along with DE. 

2 minutes ago, Thama said:

Brian Burns simply isn't a 4-3 DE. Honestly switching right back to a 4-3 immediately after investing a 1st round pick in a guy that can probably only play in a 3-4 seems like a bad idea, especially with the only other 2 pass rushers on the roster being much better 3-4 fits than 4-3.

Well that would make DE even more important. I really think that Burns is fine as a 4-3 DE. We really didn't play a straight 3-4 a whole lot. Many of Burns' sacks and big plays came with 4 down lineman. 

So when is the earliest you would consider DE? 

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

They signed DE Stephen Weatherly form the viking too. Plus added another DE Chris Smith former Brown.

That said Ive been driving the "add DE/edge" bus, its just tricky this year with a weak class. I believe the first three picks need to be CB, DT, and DE(in no order). DE is #2 in value terms and with the panthers picking low in each round they should invest a pick there. Just sooo many holes tho, along with DE. 

Weatherly was a good pick up. Smith is wildcard since he hasn't played in a while. Now ideally we would still trade back and get Kinlaw and hopefully AJ drops because of that horrible combine. He would be a great 4-3 DE to play opposite of Burns.  

Right now we think it's Weatherly or Obada opposite Burns.

Looking back at Rhule/Snow's Temple days, Yetur Gross-Matos or Epanesa would be a good fit imo but they are probably late 1st early 2 and most of the reported meetings for that type of end is round 3 or day 3 of the draft type. Maybe a Jason Strowbridge if he falls a little in the draft.

And Burns is fine in any defensive alignment but he should be a key piece to mold a defense around.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Right now we think it's Weatherly or Obada opposite Burns.

Looking back at Rhule/Snow's Temple days, Yetur Gross-Matos or Epanesa would be a good fit imo but they are probably late 1st early 2 and most of the reported meetings for that type of end is round 3 or day 3 of the draft type. Maybe a Jason Strowbridge if he falls a little in the draft.

And Burns is fine in any defensive alignment but he should be a key piece to mold a defense around.

Agree. It does seem like we are checking out all the 3rd -4th round DE options. I really don't know what to expect from this draft so it is kind of fun

1 minute ago, yasuhara2241 said:

Agree. It does seem like we are checking out all the 3rd -4th round DE options. I really don't know what to expect from this draft so it is kind of fun

I had the Rivera prospect pretty well figured out by the end but I have no clue what type of player Rhule wants. They have molded they're defense to whatever personnel they have too so it's almost impossible to get a read.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I had the Rivera prospect pretty well figured out by the end but I have no clue what type of player Rhule wants. They have molded they're defense to whatever personnel they have too so it's almost impossible to get a read.

The entire NFL knew the Rivera prospect especially Buffalo. They kept trading right in front of Carolina. Heck everyone did. I don't think anybody really knows what type of defense or offense we are going to run so this first draft is going to have a ton of surprises. 

17 minutes ago, Thama said:

Burns is 6’5” and 250. His frame can totally add more weight. Chaisson is 6’4” 250 and Chase Young is 6’5” 264. So the top sure fire DE in the draft has 14 pounds 0 inches on him. I’m going to assume Burns added extra pounds this offseason as well.

It would be nice if Epenesa or YGM fell to our 2nd pick. Then maybe trade back into the second for one of the CBs that drop. I also like Jonathan Greenard (we met with him) and Jonathan Garvin (lazy but maybe Rhule can light a fire) later in the draft. Maybe James Lynch can start at DE on run downs and shift inside.

Lately I’ve also leaning towards double dipping Derrick Brown (1st) and Jordan Elliot (2nd). Everything I’ve read on Elliot are glowing reviews on him. I think he backup KK this year and then replace him next.

I still think we should sign Everson Griffen on for like a 2 year deal. But I’ve seen some reports that he’s looking to get paid.

6 minutes ago, KDawg004 said:

It would be nice if Epenesa or YGM fell to our 2nd pick. Then maybe trade back into the second for one of the CBs that drop. I also like Jonathan Greenard (we met with him) and Jonathan Garvin (lazy but maybe Rhule can light a fire) later in the draft. Maybe James Lynch can start at DE on run downs and shift inside.

Lately I’ve also leaning towards double dipping Derrick Brown (1st) and Jordan Elliot (2nd). Everything I’ve read on Elliot are glowing reviews on him. I think he backup KK this year and then replace him next.

I still think we should sign Everson Griffen on for like a 2 year deal. But I’ve seen some reports that he’s looking to get paid.

Yes Epenesa or YGM would be a great 2nd round pick. I don't see KK with us a whole lot longer unless he has an incredible year. Also wouldn't see us spending money especially 2 yrs for Griffen. No matter how we look at it we will be lucky to get to 6 wins next year unless Rhule works wonders. 

I think Weatherly will have more of an impact then many think. And If Miller and particularly Haynes can bulk up we may have options. On defense I'm leaning towards Cb being our biggest need. Idunno if we're 4-3, 3-4 or hybrid ...one constant remains: Corner. As it stands they're primed to get abused in this division. 

If I'm Rhule/Hurney my setup for Round 1 according to need would go: 

Okudah

Brown

Simmons 

In that order. 

And if Tua is still on the board due to teams concerned about his medical, he almost has to be the pick with this new regime. Brady with Tua would be checkmate. 

Archived