• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have the consensus top draft so far?

Eazy-E

1 minute ago, DeeJay said:

for todays clown of the day

I'd say the clowns are the people who think we nailed the draft by taking a run-stopping DT at #7 while playing in a division with Drew Brees, Michael Thomas, Tom Brady, Chris Godwin, Mike Evans, Rob Gronkowski, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones.

We also traded up in the 2nd for a DB who got roasted by a UDFA WR we signed. And apparently we had a 1st round grade on this DB, so I kinda question the talent evaluation by everyone involved.

Pretty stupid picks if you ask me. Day 3 was a solid day for us though I guess. Building up secondary depth since we have without question the worst secondary in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

I'd say the clowns are the people who think we nailed the draft by taking a run-stopping DT at #7 while playing in a division with Drew Brees, Michael Thomas, Tom Brady, Chris Godwin, Mike Evans, Rob Gronkowski, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones.

We also traded up in the 2nd for a DB who got roasted by a UDFA WR we signed. And apparently we had a 1st round grade on this DB, so I kinda question the talent evaluation by everyone involved.

Pretty stupid picks if you ask me. Day 3 was a solid day for us though I guess. Building up secondary depth since we have without question the worst secondary in the NFL.

I lost faith when Matt Rhule has literally signed every Temple or Baylor player he could get his hands on. 

This is why the draft sucked... If we hit on Isiah Simmons, #1 we might win in 2020, Shaq Thompson and Simmons and possibly moving weatherly to OLB might've been enough to have the team where it needed to be in the secondary. 

We could've drafted a solid DT in the 2nd.

If Brown is a big get, Sean Payton and Arians make 2 offensive adjustments to take advantage of a poor secondary. 

KC won the SB with the 18th best defense in the NFL, we just spent 7 draft picks on defense (never happened in NFL history). The odds of that being a BPA draft is 1 in a million. 

Perhaps if we signed Josh Norman or paid bradberry. instead of paying weatherly 7 million in 2020, I would feel better about the pick

We cut Eric Reid to use our 5th round pick to trade up 6 spots. We saved 3.5 million to have to lose a draft pick and a mid-level saftey. Eric Reid was between 15th-20th, we could've cut him for nothing next year if we didn't want him, he'd have no more guarenteed $.

Frankly,Tepper, Rhule, and Hurney have lied so much, I'm convinced Cam is 100% healthy and the Panthers wanted Bridgewater. 

I'm done with this team if that's the case, if we kicked Cam out the door like rocks when it is near impossible for him to get a physical for another team, then he lights it up somewhere else after being healthy, that's it.

I'm not sitting through Dan Snyder 2.0, call me bandwagon all you want. 

9 hours ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

My reasons for the Brown pick were the same as his, and I get on here and get torched for it. I'm just not a big fan. All of the games I watched from the SEC, and his highlights. He's just stronger than the opposite competition. Doesn't have much finesse to his game at all. I hope somehow it translates, but I'm not sold. 

I think that's the point for Brown. We lacked toughness and power up front last season and that trickled down to every other facet of the defense. We were ALL finesse in an area where you need dudes that just want to punch people in the face.

But I do see your point. Just don't forget that he played in the SEC. So his competition was drafted to play on Sundays. I'd be more concerned if he dominated at DII - see Amini Silatolu (in hindsight, that was fool's gold).

1 hour ago, Zithers2 said:

So you loved last year's #2 pass rushing defense and #2 sack percentage defense? How did that work against Brees and Matt Ryan?

6 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Exactly. Sacks and even QB pressures don't trump controlling the line of scrimmage.

Yep. Now, don't get me wrong, we will be probably as bad against the run and way worse rushing the passer this season but that is to be expected.

2 hours ago, Pantherzack179812 said:

I lost faith when Matt Rhule has literally signed every Temple or Baylor player he could get his hands on. 

This is why the draft sucked... If we hit on Isiah Simmons, #1 we might win in 2020, Shaq Thompson and Simmons and possibly moving weatherly to OLB might've been enough to have the team where it needed to be in the secondary. 

We could've drafted a solid DT in the 2nd.

If Brown is a big get, Sean Payton and Arians make 2 offensive adjustments to take advantage of a poor secondary. 

KC won the SB with the 18th best defense in the NFL, we just spent 7 draft picks on defense (never happened in NFL history). The odds of that being a BPA draft is 1 in a million. 

Perhaps if we signed Josh Norman or paid bradberry. instead of paying weatherly 7 million in 2020, I would feel better about the pick

We cut Eric Reid to use our 5th round pick to trade up 6 spots. We saved 3.5 million to have to lose a draft pick and a mid-level saftey. Eric Reid was between 15th-20th, we could've cut him for nothing next year if we didn't want him, he'd have no more guarenteed $.

Frankly,Tepper, Rhule, and Hurney have lied so much, I'm convinced Cam is 100% healthy and the Panthers wanted Bridgewater. 

I'm done with this team if that's the case, if we kicked Cam out the door like rocks when it is near impossible for him to get a physical for another team, then he lights it up somewhere else after being healthy, that's it.

I'm not sitting through Dan Snyder 2.0, call me bandwagon all you want. 

1. We passed on a lot of Rhule guys in the draft

2. No one draft pick other than QB can turn a team into a winning contender

3. Instead of getting a decent DT in the second, we picked the best DT in the last couple years

3. It’s harder to adjust against a DT than a OLB. You can shift, motion, and rub routes the secondary. All you can need to do up front is put Brown on their worst OL. 

4. KC won because they have Pat Mahomes and can put up 51 points in a playoff game lmao

5. Josh Norman is old and Bradberry is a zone corner whereas I believe Snow believes in man coverage

6. The point of a rebuild is to get younger, faster, and cheaper which is what Chinn represents over Reid. 

7. I’m still upset over the cutting of Cam too, but there are some legitimate concerns regarding his ability to stay healthy and be successful in Brady’s scheme

8. Please don’t claim to be a Panther fan if we’re successful after Brees/Brady/Ryan retire in a couple years

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yep. Now, don't get me wrong, we will be probably as bad against the run and way worse rushing the passer this season but that is to be expected.

I don't think the defense will be worse against the run. I love Luke but he was never really good at defeating blocks. His strength was beating them to the spot with speed and diagnosing the plays - eitherbefore or after the snap. And our DL in general was horrible at gap assignments. Too much freelancing and sack hunting.

Agree they won't have as many sacks, but that's okay. Consistent pressure is better than occasional sacks anyway. Can't allow guys like Brees, Brady and Ryan to get comfortable in the pocket. 

3 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I don't think the defense will be worse against the run. I love Luke but he was never really good at defeating blocks. His strength was beating them to the spot with speed and diagnosing the plays - eitherbefore or after the snap. And our DL in general was horrible at gap assignments. Too much freelancing and sack hunting.

Agree they won't have as many sacks, but that's okay. Consistent pressure is better than occasional sacks anyway. Can't allow guys like Brees, Brady and Ryan to get comfortable in the pocket. 

I think it is entirely possible we are worse against the run because we have little to no quality depth and almost every player that is talented is in the first two years of their career. That unit is going to take a LOT of lumps. 

We just aren't built to be a good or even competitive team in the short term. The hope is that this works out in the long run.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I think it is entirely possible we are worse against the run because we have little to no quality depth and almost every player that is talented is in the first two years of their career. That unit is going to take a LOT of lumps. 

We just aren't built to be a good or even competitive team in the short term. The hope is that this works out in the long run.

Fair points. I just don't think we can be worse with guys playing team ball upfront instead of me ball. Doesn't mean I think they'll be great. Just no where near as bad as that crap show from last year.

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

We lack depth and we will be relying on rookies.  We are going to be really bad against the run this year.  And our pass defense......oh boy.  Hopefully we can just gradually get better as these guys play with each other

2 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Fair points. I just don't think we can be worse with guys playing team ball upfront instead of me ball. Doesn't mean I think they'll be great. Just no where near as bad as that crap show from last year.

Don't be surprised or upset if we are worse. I keep saying that so our fans temper their expectations and don't start calling everyone a bust.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

1. We passed on a lot of Rhule guys in the draft

2. No one draft pick other than QB can turn a team into a winning contender

3. Instead of getting a decent DT in the second, we picked the best DT in the last couple years

3. It’s harder to adjust against a DT than a OLB. You can shift, motion, and rub routes the secondary. All you can need to do up front is put Brown on their worst OL. 

4. KC won because they have Pat Mahomes and can put up 51 points in a playoff game lmao

5. Josh Norman is old and Bradberry is a zone corner whereas I believe Snow believes in man coverage

6. The point of a rebuild is to get younger, faster, and cheaper which is what Chinn represents over Reid. 

7. I’m still upset over the cutting of Cam too, but there are some legitimate concerns regarding his ability to stay healthy and be successful in Brady’s scheme

8. Please don’t claim to be a Panther fan if we’re successful after Brees/Brady/Ryan retire in a couple years

1. Good, we've got 10-20 already.

2. Christian McCaffery Says hi.

3. BS, there is nothing that proves that. Every top 10 pick is sure-thing until they get on the field.

4. So our offense with potentially the best utility running back in history, adding Robby Anderson and Samuel and DJ Moore can't put up 40-50 points? Even crap teams get 4-5 stops a game, those are still NFL athletes out there, we potentially have a top offense.

5. I'll take Josh Norman and Bradberry as my #1 in a man scheme over Donte Jackson any day. 

6. You need Veterans to teach these young guys, Eric Reid has played in an NFC championship and multiple playoffs. What if we get lucky and go 8-8 and get a 6 seed?? We supposed to have 0 players with playoff experience? 

7.What are we supposed to believe? Lies Lies Lies Lies Lies.

8. If the Panthers unemployed a man in the middle of a separation from his children at the very last possible second to where he can't get physicals for other teams, ultimately killing any chance of him making what he is supposed to after essentially reviving a dead franchise? 2010 you couldn't buy a Panthers hat at the store, now you can walk into some Walmart's and buy a coffee mug, a shirt, a hat, and a poster. Cam Newton brought relevance to this franchise.

I defended Tepper, Rhule, and Hurney to the hilt so far. All I wanna say after the crapshoot of this last draft is sorry to Ron Rivera. Man got fired with Kyle Allen as his starting QB and 1/2 of his defense on IR... Hurney did a terrible job at having bodies able to take over for injured players and Rivera fell on that sword multiple times.

Ron had 1 losing season with Dave Gettleman as GM (if you count the 7-8-1 division as losing then make the 2). 100% of his seasons here with Hurney we're losing seasons.

Tbh, watching Ron now, he looks 10x more relaxed and content. 2 months ago Rhule was speaking praises about Cam, then axes him a month later... Now we draft 3 D-lineman and Rhule wants to praise Efe Obada. Tepper promises a new modern offensive approach, we set an NFL record for defensive draft picks. We have a chance to field a top 5 offense, we don't need a top 15 defense, but we need to start grooming O-line, we don't just need LTs, we need guards RT C... We ignored multiple needs.

I don't leave teams for losing records... I was at the first Tampa bay game in 2010 watching pickles do his thing. I watched 2 more losing seasons after Cam started here. 

Do I expect the Panthers to tell the fans EVERYTHING? No, but when Rhule gave his "coach speak" there was a glimmer of hope in my heart that Cam Newton would return to at least 2018 1st half level. Then I wake up to my phone blowing up because we randomly announce we approved a trade request Cam didn't ask for.  I pay a lot of money for merchandise and PSLs... tickets that won't be worth half of what I pay when this season gets going (if it does)... I don't appreciate being lied to, I know a lot of people who bought Cam jerseys after Rhule's announcement. 

It seems as if the Panthers are doing their best to now outprice the average fan. They keep increasing concession and ticket prices (even after losing seasons). They've gotten to the point a single game ticket for a regular season game in the corner end zone in row 30 is $75. Then when you buy the tickets, you walk into the surprise a hot dog is $5 and a beer is $10. 

Some seats in the upper and lower bowls saw 2-5% price increases after 6-10 and 5-11 seasons and fired coaches. On top of that, the team quit giving us physical tickets and have now cancelled the roar magazine. 

Usually in May/April, the invoice came in a orange panthers envelope with stickers and some sort of souvenir and a thank you letter. This year I got a white envelope with a bill in it.

Frankly, all I feel as a PSL owner now is paying double for tickets that everyone else does. They've even made the Panthers privileges contests (except the go on the field stuff) public, now making something you actually had a reasonable chance to win as a psl owner 1 in 1,000,000 odds. 

NFL teams are clear in the new PSL agreements what you're buying, for example Atlanta "As long as the Falcons are playing at Mercades-benz Stadium."

Today, psl reps give false help to new purchasers that they will get their psls in the new stadium, but that obviously won't be the case. 

I haven't decided 100% how I feel on Tepper yet, this year will be a big year for me to determine my feelings on him. I am not a bandwagon jumper, but if the franchise become unrecognizable, I might choose to quit spending 3,000-4,000 a year on this team. 

Archived