• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BPA Strategy

KillaCamNewton

12 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

BPA is production driven- gives you the best chance of getting value out of your draft pick- even if you miss the position of need, you might significantly upgrade one that there wasn’t as urgent a need at.

So if you drafted a RB in the 1st the previous year and the BPA in the 1st is a RB, you draft a RB?

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

So if you drafted a RB in the 1st the previous year and the BPA in the 1st is a RB, you draft a RB?

Clearly there’s discretion, most teams seem to use it well... I don’t think there is any BPA proponent who thinks you live and die by that strategy. 

I think in your scenario you’d have to consider the big picture. Maybe it makes sense considering the next next player, or maybe it doesn’t all things considered. 

22 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

Clearly there’s discretion, most teams seem to use it well... I don’t think there is any BPA proponent who thinks you live and die by that strategy. 

I think in your scenario you’d have to consider the big picture. Maybe it makes sense considering the next next player, or maybe it doesn’t all things considered. 

So its best player in a position of need

Just remember that teams determine boards. Teams boards are set up based on need as well as desired traits. So let's say we have a young franchise QB, even the top QBs might be a whole lot lower on our board. 

BPA is a fancy way to justify to fans why we picked a certain player/position or not. 

I think BPA is used by most fans to mean "the best athlete and player on the draft board." When Coaches and GMs use it, I believe they're typically referring to the Best Player Available of Value to the team.

What I basically mean by that is out of 32 NFL teams, if you give all of them a choice at the #1 draft pick this year, Burrows isn't going to be the pick for every single one. Some of those teams are going to go Chase Young, and others will go in another direction. It's the same if you give them pick 2, 3, or 4, and so on. The BPA, in a real sense, doesn't always equate to the most talent player, but the most talented player at a position of need or distress for a particular Franchise.

4 hours ago, jfra78 said:

So its best player in a position of need

I think; and I’m just a dumb electrician, that BPA means just that, but I think that limiting the BPA to “position of need” is a far cry from actually selecting the BPA. Limiting to position of need may pass up superior talent to what you might already have on the roster, which in my opinion is a mistake most of the time.

We might have an all world RB right now but if we had the chance to have another one it’s not necessarily a wasted pick. 

Archived