• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At what point will you start rooting for us to lose for Lawrence?

t96

not sure if this has been posted yet but PFF had us Number 1 in the Lawrence sweepstakes BEFORE yesterdays game and of course before CMC's injury

1. CAROLINA PANTHERS

Carolina came in 29th in our preseason offensive rankings and 32nd in our preseason defensive rankings. In Week 1, however, the Panthers looked better than anticipated to start, thanks in large part to Joe Brady's offense and a little bit of luck. Despite Teddy Bridgewater being the sixth-lowest-graded quarterback of the week, Carolina managed to rank 19th in the percentage of passes that generated positive EPA. It still isn't great, but it's better than expected.

The defense, on the other hand, looked like one of the three worst units in the NFL. No team missed more tackles against the run (10), no pass-rush produced fewer pressures (4) and no coverage unit gave up a higher rate of positive EPA (65.6%). And PFF's simulations suggest that this mediocre play isn't likely to maintain — it's going to get worse.

Teddy lucked out with two clear turnover-worthy throws that the defense couldn't capitalize on, and he finished sixth-to-last in accurate passes thrown 10-plus yards downfield. The Panthers' offense still comes in at 28th in our Massey ranking, and they have one of the toughest schedules to face this season, according to our metrics.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-teams-most-likely-to-get-trevor-lawrence-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

A couple of things:

1) There is a reason why few QBs taken #1 have won a SB with the team that drafted them. Most of those organizations (especially in the front office) have proven to be habitual losers, which is why they find themselves regularly in that scenario. So they are more likely to squander a franchise talent than use it it to build a champion. That to me should be viewed differently in a year where your complete core has been blown up, you have a new coach, new scheme, and a temp QB. We are uniquely positioned to set our eyes on the #1 pick. And again getting the #1 pick and Hurney gone can and should both be goals.

2) The QB position is not like anything else. Great franchises can make the #2, #5, or #10 QB in a class look potentially great. I don’t really know what we have, so in THIS particular year, when you have some amazing talent, give me the top pick and we can figure it out. Especially when you have the best RB in the league and one or two receiving weapons already. 

And then there is COVID, where this season could blow up at any point. Oh, friends.... we can lose em all and I’ll sleep just fine.

24 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

not sure if this has been posted yet but PFF had us Number 1 in the Lawrence sweepstakes BEFORE yesterdays game and of course before CMC's injury

1. CAROLINA PANTHERS

Carolina came in 29th in our preseason offensive rankings and 32nd in our preseason defensive rankings. In Week 1, however, the Panthers looked better than anticipated to start, thanks in large part to Joe Brady's offense and a little bit of luck. Despite Teddy Bridgewater being the sixth-lowest-graded quarterback of the week, Carolina managed to rank 19th in the percentage of passes that generated positive EPA. It still isn't great, but it's better than expected.

The defense, on the other hand, looked like one of the three worst units in the NFL. No team missed more tackles against the run (10), no pass-rush produced fewer pressures (4) and no coverage unit gave up a higher rate of positive EPA (65.6%). And PFF's simulations suggest that this mediocre play isn't likely to maintain — it's going to get worse.

Teddy lucked out with two clear turnover-worthy throws that the defense couldn't capitalize on, and he finished sixth-to-last in accurate passes thrown 10-plus yards downfield. The Panthers' offense still comes in at 28th in our Massey ranking, and they have one of the toughest schedules to face this season, according to our metrics.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-teams-most-likely-to-get-trevor-lawrence-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

Interesting. Falcons at 4 is kinda ridiculous to me though. We've seen this show before with Dan Quinn. Doubt they are much worse than .500 when all is said and done. The others are reasonable, and I think Minnesota and Detroit will be joining the tank job pretty soon as well. We have some serious competition for sucking...

I've never WANTED the team to lose.

I did know that we would be doing an awful lot of it this season, and wanted to prepare the team to be in the very best possible position if we were to land one of the top QB recruits.

We didn't.  It's frustrating, but whatever.  This team doing dumb stuff is a thing of legend anyway.

Archived