• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shackling your quarterback

Mr. Scot

Well, you know how Fox works when he has a lead.

I'm not speaking solely of yesterday though. I'm speaking in general.

You limit the playbook when you've got a young guy who hasn't mastered the offense (Moore in 2007) or a young guy who's been a little erratic and needs to concentrate on safe, high percentage throws (Young and Cutler this year). In cases like these, that strategy make sense.

When you have to do it to a long-time veteran who knows the offense like the back of his hand, that's a whole other matter. The only time you limit that guy's game is when he's playing badly. And if he's really playing so badly that this sort of tactic becomes necessary, you may as well just bench him.

I questioned last week whether we could win consistently employing the strategy we did against the Cardinals. For certain, I know we can't beat good teams like that.

At least with Moore, if he plays well with a limited offense, you can open it up more over time. If, on the other hand, you put more and more chains on Jake, at what point does it become counterproductive?

Its already counterproductive if you ask me. At points last sunday there were 10 guys in the box. Thats just a stupid amount of the D and No Oline is gonna be able to block all them.

Moore should start for that simple fact and the fact that he as been in the system for over 2 years. He should not limit the playbook to an extreme extent.

I was thinking the same thing watching the game Sunday. Can't say that I blame them the way Delhomme has played this year. Really makes you wonder how bad Moore must be.

Thats the kicker! in the games he started he has never been that bad. and if he is why is he the backup, you have to be confident in your backup to come in play a good couple of games if the starter goes down.

So are we all down for We Want Moore chants at the stadium this weekend?

I say NO because I can not beleive Fox is that stubborn to not play a guy over a QB that he wont even allow to throw passes. Think about it.... Fox is playing a QB he wont even allow to throw a pass over two QB's sitting on the bench - how bad must they be??? or again is Fox just that stubborn :confused:

Sadly, I still think Jake gives the Panthers the best chance to win.

I was thinking the same thing watching the game Sunday. Can't say that I blame them the way Delhomme has played this year. Really makes you wonder how bad Moore must be.
it has more to do with their devotion to jake than anything. it's a club-wide problem.

until the players are more upset at losing than letting jake down, this club is not going to move forward.

Its like rayzor said. The offense still loves Jake for whatever reason. Until they start complaining about him, Jake will continue being the starter. Fox is too much of a pussy to start Moore and make everyone else on the offense upset. Plus they gave him that contract in the offseason and Fox has to justify it by continually playing him.

it has more to do with their devotion to jake than anything. it's a club-wide problem.

until the players are more upset at losing than letting jake down, this club is not going to move forward.

I seriously doubt Fox would sacrifise wins, for sheer devotion. I doubt if he seriously thought Moore gave them a better shot that he wouldnt play him. His job is on the line to.

Do we know for 100 percent fact that Moore couldnt do better? No

But condsider Fox and the other coaches have seen Moore in every practise, every preseason game, every training camp, every study. They know who he is better then anyone else does. So its a pretty safe assumption that they strongly feel with good resaon that Moore isnt capable. Not just because they love Jake

I seriously doubt Fox would sacrifise wins, for sheer devotion. I doubt if he seriously thought Moore gave them a better shot that he wouldnt play him. His job is on the line to.

Do we know for 100 percent fact that Moore couldnt do better? No

But condsider Fox and the other coaches have seen Moore in every practise, every preseason game, every training camp, every study. They know who he is better then anyone else does. So its a pretty safe assumption that they strongly feel with good resaon that Moore isnt capable. Not just because they love Jake

Again if they are so bad why are they on the team?

Just from what we've seen from Fox, Jake will probably have to get shaken up for Moore to come in to the game.

And I don't think everyone on offense likes Jake as a player. Obviously the line likes him, but I think if you ask S. Smith, Gary Barnidge and Dante Rosario for an honest answer you'll get a different response.

It is the status quo to support Jake. He's the old veteran golden child of coach Fox.

Rayzor, its like you're trying to convince me that Jake is bad and needs to sit down. Trust me, I can see that.

I guess what I'm trying to get to and not doing a very good job at is this -

What if Moore gets the start and nothing changes? Do we say "Give him time"? Do we blame Scherer? Davidson? Fox?

Maybe I'm just in a state that I don't believe anything will salvage this season and so I don't believe that Matt will make a difference.

why not try, then?

what have we got to lose?

should we just lie down and be content to lose the whole season or just play around and try some new things?

i just don't understand the willingness to do nothing different....to just sit there and roll with the sucky status quo.

fox's whole "it is what it is" thing has brought complacency to the team and to a lot of the fan base.

Archived