• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shackling your quarterback

Mr. Scot

I think we all know no matter what going into next season with Delhomme as the only option at QB is suicide. Anyone that does not agree with that can only have some sort of extreme emotional attachment to Jake that clouds their thinking.

I think we all know no matter what going into next season with Delhomme as the only option at QB is suicide. Anyone that does not agree with that can only have some sort of extreme emotional attachment to Jake that clouds their thinking.

I am sure they are going to do something but the question is what? Count on McCown, Moore and Cantwell, draft a rookie who likely won't start for a season or two, pick up a few free agents, or some combination of the above. There are issues with all the choices.

Keeping McCown, Moore and Cantwell won't guarantee things are better next year.

Drafting and starting a rookie is usually reserved for rebuilding teams and if Fox survives this season, he will surely be on a hot seat next year and may not want to count on a rookie right away. That surely has been his MO.

There may not be very many good choices for free agents next year depending on who gets resigned and whether or not there is a salary cap and subsequent change from 4 to 6 years for free agency.

I suspect we will draft a guy, pick one up in free agency and keep 2 or 3 of our current guys on the roster and go into next year's training camp with 5 guys to battle for the top spot.

Of course if Fox or Hurney are gone, all bets will be off although the new guy would likely want to have plenty of choices.

But as long as fox is here that is whats going to happen. he has never brought in anyone that could challenge delhomme and he doesnt believe in drafting qbs high.

But as long as fox is here that is whats going to happen. he has never brought in anyone that could challenge delhomme and he doesnt believe in drafting qbs high.

Up until 2007 there was no need and that year they brought in Carr. Last year we brought in McCown. This year was the first time Jake has played poorly for more than one or two games in a row but they were cap strapped with Peppers, Gross and Gamble and had no first rounder high enough to draft a top guy. Next year we don't have a first rounder either but will likely be more aggressive in finding a replacement. Given how things have gone, Fox and Hurney haven't been the idiots that haters make them out to be,

Up until 2007 there was no need and that year they brought in Carr. Last year we brought in McCown. This year was the first time Jake has played poorly for more than one or two games in a row but they were cap strapped with Peppers, Gross and Gamble and had no first rounder high enough to draft a top guy. Next year we don't have a first rounder either but will likely be more aggressive in finding a replacement. Given how things have gone, Fox and Hurney haven't been the idiots that haters make them out to be,

you make to much sense

But P55, dont you think that someone other than career backups and a 4th round qb should have been drafted or brought in? jake was older then. dont you think we should have planned for the future at the most important position?

They tried. They brought in several young guys to groom but none of them worked out because either

1. They were terrible draft choices.

2. They were not coached properly

They didn't completely 100% ignore the position. It's just that none of the up-and-comers really worked out. Maybe it's a combination of reasons, but the team did at least try somewhat.

jake is their man. has been since the beginning and will be until the end. as long as jake is willing to play, they are willing to pay....and give him the job.

there has been nothing done (aside form the carr mistake) that shows they have seriously put any effort into improving the QB situation....not like they have other positions. no one, not even carr, ever had a real shot at the job and that won't change as long as fox and hurney are involved.

it was apparent that hurney realized that something has gone seriously wrong when he was asked about what happened but i don't think he has the guts to do anything about it. fox has his agenda and that is to prove that he can be competitive with an undrafted QB...that you can be a good team without having a good QB.

nothing is going to change. until something does and they look like they are taking it seriously (finding someone to take over for jake) i won't believe it.

fox has, at the most, 5 more years here (i'm saying that because i could see him getting an extension of a few years after his current contract ends). if hurney has the job, fox has the job. if fox has the job, jake has the job.

i get ya rayzor. But P55 was saying we didnt need a qb back then. But my question was did we need a jstewart? we spent 2 1st round picks on rbs that have the shortest life span in the nfl and are the easiest to come by and nothing higher than a 4th round pick on a qb, which is the most important position and can make or break a entire franchise.

Archived