• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Vicious Cycle.

TLGPanthersFan

I have noticed that every games, especially during this losing streak, almost every forum I visit goes though certain phases over and over again. 

Phase 1: We need a QB and take one in the first no matter who it is. (This usually is right after the game)
Phase 2: Well we maybe don’t need to get a QB in the first. If he is there and the team likes him then get him. Maybe go OL or LB.

Phase 3: We can get a QB next year (Even though we will have to trade up or hope a QB falls in our lap). Let’s get a OL or LB  

Phase 4: We better not draft a QB. Teddy will be fine until a QB falls into our lap. We need to target an OL and LB above all else  We could also get a QB in the second round if we have to get a QB.

And the cycle repeats itself.

Here is the dynamic that I notice--the players are not trying to lose to get better players.  The next player taken could determine your fate as a player---the NFL is always trying to upgrade you, so do not give them a reason by losing.   In addition, players are playing for statistical averages that can be used at the negotiating table--no agent is going to say, "but when you needed my client to suck, he sucked bad." 

If we were tanking, we'd go ahead and put CMC on IR.  We'd take a look at Grier and Walker.  We might even activate some of the more promising PS players to take a peek.  I do not understand why we do not do more of that, frankly.

About this point---the QB position is like 10 x more powerful than any other position.  Look at the top of the standings and at the bottom.  It is essentially a QB ranking.  The fit is as important as the talent--and the chemistry.  If the QB is there in round 1, take the damn QB. 

Archived