• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Be careful what you wish for....

Matt Foley

To build on my last post, take yesterdays game as an example. We had NO down 14 points and on their heels. Rather than go for the kill and put more distance between us, he lets off the gas and goes into his ultra safe game managing mode.

you're stupid and i hate you and i hope you die

what the f**k was the gas?

let off the "break 66 yard run" pedal? didn't continue to turn the saints over at the 10 and run it in?

you fine young males are acting like jake went out there swinging his dick around and chucking TD passes with his balls.

good god i hate you all

you're stupid and i hate you and i hope you die

what the f**k was the gas?

let off the "break 66 yard run" pedal? didn't continue to turn the saints over at the 10 and run it in?

you fine young males are acting like jake went out there swinging his dick around and chucking TD passes with his balls.

good god i hate you all

Are you really this big of a moron, or do you just pretend to not understand football to get under people's skin? That's a serious question, by the way. Nobody can say some of the things you say and expect to be taken seriously...can they?

I mean, do you really not understand what it means for a team to take their foot off the gas??? Wow.

Oh, you also need a beginners lesson in reading comprehension, by the way.

We will have a easy schedule next year. And that's the way Fox likes it, easy years make him look like a good winning coach.
Yep. This is always the case. We do good after we do bad and get an easy schedule.
what makes you think we are going to have an easy schedule next year?

if they keep the same rotation they have been using since 2002 that they decided on in the CBA, here is the list of teams we will be facing.

ravens

steelers

bengals

browns

bears

lions

packers

vikings

falcons (x2)

saints (x2)

bucs (x2)

one from NFCE (most likely giants since they are third, atm)

one from NFCW (most likely seahawks since they are third, atm)

i can see 7 losses easily from that bunch.

Foxball results in mediocre seasons to good ones, rarely bad.

When things break our way, we're great. When they don't, we're blah but not horrible.

Last year I can think of 4 plays in 4 games that would have resulted in losses and a 8-8 season if they went differently: San Diego (Rosario's catch), Chicago (King's catch), Green Bay (Smitty's catch), and New Orleans (Smitty's catch again). When you look at it the only difference between last year and this one is better QB play at the start and 4 low percentage plays going the right way.

Fox will always be mediocre to good. Him being great will depend if a QB falls in his lap (a la Cowher), as his teams will almost never have a top 10 pick.

Pretty dead-on analysis.

When the Panthers hired Capers, they thought they had the right guy. When they hired Seifert, they thought for sure they had the right guy.

Coaches are hired to get fired. Fans want them gone every time they lose two games in a row. But the smart GM and owner realize that a guy who consistently wins, even if you see things you'd do differently, is simply going to win somewhere else and make you look bad if you fire him.

Now if you want to argue about how much money Fox is getting paid, that's another story.

It's true. The guys who come "oh so close" with one team and get canned all too often go to another team and finally reach the mark. Tony Dungy is a prime example. Likewise, Tom Coughlin, Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, even Don Shula.

On the flipside, coaches who win the big one in one place, retire on their success and then get the itch to go start all over pretty much never get back to the glory they once had. Super Bowl appearance? Maybe. Win? It's never happened, ever.

And yet people still prefer to hire guys that have already won Super Bowls elsewhere :confused:

Yeah we end up with the best rushing attack in the NFL. Something which we never accomplished under Henning. What a huge mistake.

Henning would have done just as well or better had he had this line and these backs. And he wouldn't have been stupid enough to ignore the great rushing attack in the playoffs and during the first few games this year.

Just one of the many reasons Fox should be fired
Be careful what you ask for. Maybe you're too young to remember 1-15, but it happened and it sucked.

Sorry I can only remember the thread you started wishing you had Trgo back. So if the defense continues to play well are you still going to wish we still had Turgo? Are you going to give Meeks credit? Or how about if it starts to plumet at the second half of last year, are you going to blame Fox this time? Or blame players execution again? If you blame Meeks though, you'll make yourself into a hypocrite because you never blamed Trgo for what happened at the end of last season.
I'm already giving Meeks credit. His defenses were terrible this year, but they've turned it around and I'm more than willing to give him credit for it. With that said, however, Trgovac's defense last year was top 10 for the first half of the season as well. If the unit fades down the stretch it may be Fox, it may be personnel, but it certainly won't make a case that Meeks is an improvement over Trgovac.

For what it's worth, in the offseason I wrote a few articles about Meeks and why he might be a better fit for our personnel than Trgovac. I want to believe, but unless the guy performs I'm not going to. Fox has a track record, Meeks still needs to build one.

I'd much rather go through the process of finding the right coach for us than stick with what we have now. Fox is not "consistently competitive" like you said, so he should be gone by your definition.
Bullshit. Every year he's been here December games have had playoff implications, even the ones where we finished 7-9. That's the definition of consistency, and it's something no other team in the South can say.

What Fox isn't is consistently dominant. And that's why you kids can't forgive him.

Why are fans and this organization so afraid of taking chances and instead want to stick with what we have now even if it cripples this team? Its the same reason why we still have Jake. The FO was too afraid we wouldn't find anyone better.
1-15 versus the winningest record in the division since 2002. Good thing grown-ups are in charge.

When you know what you have isn't working, you got to move on! Period. Sticking with something that only produces the same lame outcome over and over again is the exact definition of insanity. You have to get rid of that cancer thats plaguing you and try something different. Don't be afraid of going through the process of change.

And don't change for the sake of change. Smarter people know better. It's a good thing they're in charge, and you're not.

Foxball results in mediocre seasons to good ones, rarely bad.

When things break our way, we're great. When they don't, we're blah but not horrible.

Last year I can think of 4 plays in 4 games that would have resulted in losses and a 8-8 season if they went differently: San Diego (Rosario's catch), Chicago (King's catch), Green Bay (Smitty's catch), and New Orleans (Smitty's catch again). When you look at it the only difference between last year and this one is better QB play at the start and 4 low percentage plays going the right way.

Fox will always be mediocre to good. Him being great will depend if a QB falls in his lap (a la Cowher), as his teams will almost never have a top 10 pick.

If we let Fox go we might be the next Tampa, They bitched and complained about Gruden and how poor he was (funny how some people here think he is the answer, ask most Tampa fans what they think) and then replace him with Morris. Now they know how bad things can get. At this point it would be worth it to can Fox and see if all the problems he is getting blamed for are even remotely correct. Problem for me is that I want the Panthers to win no matter who the coaches are since I am a Panthers fan not a fan of any particular coach or player.

Nonetheless since Fox is the cause of all our issues just like Gruden was in Tampa, I am sure just like them that if we replace Fox everything will be instantly better next year.

It's true. The guys who come "oh so close" with one team and get canned all too often go to another team and finally reach the mark. Tony Dungy is a prime example. Likewise, Tom Coughlin, Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, even Don Shula.

On the flipside, coaches who win the big one in one place, retire on their success and then get the itch to go start all over pretty much never get back to the glory they once had. Super Bowl appearance? Maybe. Win? It's never happened, ever.

And yet people still prefer to hire guys that have already won Super Bowls elsewhere :confused:

+1 +1 +1

People around here seem to think it's easy to win in the NFL. It's not, or every team would be doing it. Fox has managed to keep the team from doing a nosedive in the standings while having a few very successful years since he's been here. And he's done it while playing in a competitive division--no perennial doormats have been available to pad our schedule by two to four wins per year. I don't think many people here appreciate just how hard that is to accomplish. There's a handful of coaches in the league who've been able to do it, and every one of them has had a stud franchise quarterback.

The same people who are calling for Fox's head are also calling for Jake's. If they're both so terrible, how do you explain the success we've had since they've been here? And if Jake is truly the worst QB around, why on earth would you want to get rid of a coach who's been as good as Fox has with that guy under center?

You guy's just want to get rid of them because we're not 8-0 right now. There's no sense of patience, no perspective, and no trust in your team. Take a look at our next four games and suck it--we have a real shot at entering December with a winning record. If that happens and we manage to split those games, then Fox and Jake will both be back.

On the other hand, if people quit going to the games and concession sales drop off too much, then 11-5 won't save Fox's job.

Archived