• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN article sheds more light on Fitterer

top dawg

Due to Scott Fitterer's history in Seattle, Fitterer will look at all avenues in order to improve the team and is not afraid to take some risks according to Dan Morgan and Jim Nagy.

“If you just look at his background in Seattle, look how aggressive [general manager] John Schneider has been," Nagy said. “The mantra in Seattle is to be in every single deal."

“You might not make every deal, but you want to be a part of every deal."

At least we know that Fitterer will do his due diligence on Deshaun Watson (and everybody if you believe what the article intimates)! At the same time, don't expect for him to mortgage the future!

And, as we've seen alluded to in another article, Fitterer is well-connected. 

“The Seattle process is such a collaborative effort," said Nagy, using the word (collaborative) that was so important to Carolina coach Matt Rhule in the GM search. “Scott’s gonna want to build through the draft, but there’s some guys in the league that are only connected to certain other GMs."

“The good news for the Panthers is Scott is so well-connected throughout the league, they’re going to be open to 31 other teams and involved in a lot of free-agency deals."

All this is welcome news to my ears. I don't think, as a franchise, we've been historically boring in the free agent and trade markets. That sounds like it's about to change.

Read the article!

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/34675/scott-fitterer-has-risk-taking-mentality-needed-to-improve-panthers

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

Highlighted this part in another thread, how he got here...

The Panthers were double-digit interviews into their general manager search when Nagy reached out to good friend Patrick Stewart, Carolina’s director of player personnel, and suggested Fitterer.

A virtual interview was conducted two Sundays ago, followed by an in-person interview three days later. Fitterer was hired the next day.

“I told Pat, ‘Fit’s a great guy. I’m sure you don’t know him well, but he’ll be a great fit,’" Nagy said. “That’s a great group moving forward on the football side.’’

• Pie 1

If nothing else, being involved in every deal, even if you dont make it does 2 things I consider huge. 

1. Gets you a deal you might not otherwise know about. Could we have had Hopkins for last year's 2nd? Its possible, but you never know I'd you're not in the conversation.

2. It keeps teams honest when reading your interest. If you only call when you're really interested, the asking price automatically goes up because others know you're more likely to pay.

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I should've said "I do think we've been.. boring..." 

Now, the edit button is nowhere to be found!

The edit button is not showing on OPs, but seems to be showing on normal posts, @Jeremy Igo

The edit button disappears after 5 minutes. You have to proofread right away. It's so people don't change it after responses and reactions.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Beer 1