• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jameis Winston starting in NO next year?????

kungfoodude

27 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, I guess any way you want to twist the narrative. The fact is that was an outlier season for all three QB's. Well.....except for Favre who actually had six 20+ INT seasons. 

Winston's 4.8% INT Percentage in 2019 would have actually been the third highest in Peyton Manning's career and tied for the second highest in Brett Favre's career. 

But again, I guess only Winston has had a terrible season in NFL history. 

The fact the NFL has changed isn’t a narrative.

Cherry picking P Manning’s rookie year in 1998 and comparing to Winston’s 5th in 2019 seems like twisting something. Don’t even know how you compare the best of all time with Winston anyhow.

As I said...Favre is more comparable. When Winston can put up 18 seasons and super bowl appearances, yea we can start looking at his bad season as an anomaly/outlier or part of his play like Favre. 

The fact so far though is he was on a super bowl caliber team and brought them no where.

Edited by onmyown

42 minutes ago, onmyown said:

The fact the NFL has changed isn’t a narrative.

Cherry picking P Manning’s rookie year in 1998 and comparing to Winston’s 5th in 2019 seems like twisting something. Don’t even know how you compare the best of all time with Winston anyhow.

As I said...Favre is more comparable. When Winston can put up 18 seasons and super bowl appearances, yea we can start looking at his bad season as an anomaly/outlier or part of his play like Favre. 

The fact so far though is he was on a super bowl caliber team and brought them no where.

I am not cherry picking. Just choosing two random "all time greats" and comparing. I can do more statistical comparisons, if you prefer. 

My ultimate point is that Winston played in an offense that was the worst possible thing for him. Arians offense always produces QB TO's. It even did for Brady this year. In fact, look at all his stops and only Pittsburgh did he not have the team bottom 10 in QB turnovers(this year, as well). 

So, is he a gunslinger that will never truly take care of the ball? Probably. Is he much different than Brett Favre was? Statistically....no. The big difference between him and Favre right now is the length of career.

I would have loved to have sign him to that sweetheart of a deal that New Orleans got him at. I'd take him on a short, cheap deal here if they won't.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not cherry picking. Just choosing two random "all time greats" and comparing. I can do more statistical comparisons, if you prefer. 

My ultimate point is that Winston played in an offense that was the worst possible thing for him. Arians offense always produces QB TO's. It even did for Brady this year. In fact, look at all his stops and only Pittsburgh did he not have the team bottom 10 in QB turnovers(this year, as well). 

So, is he a gunslinger that will never truly take care of the ball? Probably. Is he much different than Brett Favre was? Statistically....no. The big difference between him and Favre right now is the length of career.

I would have loved to have sign him to that sweetheart of a deal that New Orleans got him at. I'd take him on a short, cheap deal here if they won't.

I think you know I have similar feelings about putting Winston, or any gunslinger-type QB, in Arians' offense.  It was some sort of lab experiment that was destined to fail.  Take a QB who has a problem throwing interceptions, and put him in an offense that will maximize his chances to.......throw interceptions.  What could possibly go wrong?

I don't think as highly of Favre as most.  I saw him throw away too big games.  I don't mean just making a bad throw.  In fact, the throw was not the problem.  The throw went pretty much where he wanted it to go.  The decision to make that throw was the problem.  In some cases, I have no idea what he was thinking to this day. 

That was never going to be coached out of Favre.  It was who he was.  It is not inherent in gunslingers, though.  Kelly didn't make me scratch my head like that.  He may have tried to wedge a ball into a space that it was not going to fit, but that is the nature of the beast.  At least you could see what he was trying to do, even if it was ill-adivised.

Where Jameis falls in this line is in front of the jury.

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

I don’t think we get Watson I think we draft a one and probably move up for one which I think would be stupid too. Honestly if ur giving up picks to move up for an unknown u might as well trade for Watson but that’s what I think. But if you think Jameis is anywhere near Watson your ridiculous. This guy got a 1 million contract to be a backup, I’m sorry but you wrong on this one.

I don’t think they’re equal quarter backs. I just think for what we would have to give up for Watson v Winston that Winston is the smarter choice to be successful. We would have get rid of so much for Watson it would be counter productive. 

but agreed if we do trade picks and players it better be for Watson and not to move up. 

17 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I don't know how you can say they've had the same success.  Watson has been a far more reliable QB.

I actually like Jameis, but Watson is on a whole other level.

I agree just because of watsons pedigree as a qb. But how much more success has Watson had that justifies us trading the entire franchise away for him?

1 hour ago, ChayZ704 said:

I agree just because of watsons pedigree as a qb. But how much more success has Watson had that justifies us trading the entire franchise away for him?

The price(and really the trade as a whole) is purely speculative for Watson. So is what Winston will cost to sign. 

Watson's "success" has been well documented. I am not one to throw shade towards a QB in a hopeless situation(see my comments on Matt Stafford). Watson can't undo how much of an idiot Bill O'Brien was.