• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Power Shift

NAS

On 2/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, Cary Kollins said:

Power to the players. It’s about damn time. 

I don’t recall many folks having an issue when Eli’s daddy dictated which teams he would and would not play for. 

Well keep in mind comparing the nfl to the nba is like comparing apples to oranges. NFL has a 53 man roster while the nba like 14. NFL takes around 30 great to decent players to field a competent team. The nba only needs a couple super stars and a few role players to be playoff ready. NBA players can play for years while the average nba career is about 4 years.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, 45catfan said:

I don't get to tell my boss what I think the future of the company should be.  Why are athletes any different?  Just because they are paid millions that means they get to tell their superiors how to run their organizations?  Nope, that's not how business works.  Companies have structural hierarchies for a reason.  The NFL is still a business at its core and the players--'employees' need to understand their role in the organization.  If they want a NFL executive job, retire first and then give it a go.  Don't try to be a player/GM.  Sure that works in Madden, but not in real life.

I absolutely get a say in what my boss does in my business. Not all employees are the same.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, Mr. Scot said:

So have the defensive guys, and even the special teamers, but we're only going to let the quarterbacks have input?

Wilson now says he wants a say in the roster. No way in hell I'd let him have that. He's not a coach. He's not a talent evaluator. There are people who are qualified to do that. He's not one of them.

As far as a "power shift", that's still largely theoretical at this point. And no, I'm not in favor of it because what inevitably winds up happening in a situation like that is that teams and places like New York and Los Angeles benefit while small market teams like the Panthers get shafted.

Pete Rozelle was a very smart man. He built a system designed to create parity for a reason.

This, 100%.