• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Red flags for free agents

AU-panther

I found this tweet by Daniel Jeremiah really interesting.

Thinking back there definitely seems to be some truth to it.  Also it might cause some concern about guys this year.

Speaking of red flags, I'm seeing another trend I was hoping wouldn't be continued with this staff.

Signing a guy and expecting (and paying him as such) to be better than he has consistently shown in the recent past is a recipe for disaster.  We saw it with Kalil and Teddy.  Sure seems like we are seeing it again.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I found this tweet by Daniel Jeremiah really interesting.

Thinking back there definitely seems to be some truth to it.  Also it might cause some concern about guys this year.

Speaking of red flags, I'm seeing another trend I was hoping wouldn't be continued with this staff.

Signing a guy and expecting (and paying him as such) to be better than he has consistently shown in the recent past is a recipe for disaster.  We saw it with Kalil and Teddy.  Sure seems like we are seeing it again.

Huh? Who did we pay a lot to? 

8 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

As dumb as cutting players who outpeform their cheap contract. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Panthero said:

My favorite on Kalil was that he would be better here cause he could play with his brother. I knew we were fuged when that was the thinking among fans, writers, and gettleman. 

Sadly, I thought that would be the case. Wow, was I wrong.

It probably kept him on the team longer, though, in an effort to keep Kalil the Greater.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Kalil was first team all rookie and then just fell off a cliff. there was reason to believe that he'd improve if he could just hang out with his brother again.

no reason for the contract, however. 

and of course it turned out he was just trash. 

How does hanging with your brother make you play better ball? Was he depressed or some poo? Does the older Kalil have magical powers? Lol. 

Maybe it could be a motivator, your older brother showing you up but only if you dont like being straight trash. We know Kalil gave Oscar the grouch a run for his money. 

32 minutes ago, Panthero said:

How does hanging with your brother make you play better ball? Was he depressed or some poo? Does the older Kalil have magical powers? Lol. 

Maybe it could be a motivator, your older brother showing you up but only if you dont like being straight trash. We know Kalil gave Oscar the grouch a run for his money. 

yeah people are weird and there were rumors he just wasn't adapting well to nfl life. 

but again, even if you believe that, there was no reason to make him one of the highest paid tackles in the nfl. 

that contract was so bad i suspected they were paying ryan under the table with it. 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

yeah people are weird and there were rumors he just wasn't adapting well to nfl life. 

but again, even if you believe that, there was no reason to make him one of the highest paid tackles in the nfl. 

that contract was so bad i suspected they were paying ryan under the table with it. 

Good reason to draft your tackles instead of picking up FA ones. If you blow it and the guy straight up can't play, it's a whole lot cheaper to have him on a rookie deal than to be stuck paying OT full retail prices for multiple years.

And if you blow it in the draft, just move the tackle over to the right side and pick again. Chances are you're going to have a high draft pick the next year, too if the guy was bad enough.

• Pie 1