• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule "a fan" of Darnold

Mr. Scot

Just now, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Good to know. Now the only mystery is why you are still bothering wasting your time here since you’ve got it all figured out before we even get to the draft. 

I tried to tell y'all how Teddy would end up. If we made smart moves I'd celebrate them but I'm not gonna do mental gymanstics to try to convince myself that bad moves are smart moves.

• Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I think its very unlikely he becomes a franchise guy. Could be a decent backup I guess.

I think that’s unfair. I don’t know that he’s the answer but I do not believe he’s really been put in a position to succeed. 

As mentioned numerous times, Tannehill comes to mind. I’m not saying Darnold is that. But there are definitely similarities. And for what it’s worth, he was much more highly regarded coming into the league a few years ago. 

5 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

If this doesn’t work out then remember we didn’t mortgage the future for it. Trading up in the draft for a QB that didn’t work out would set us much farther back than this did.

All I’m saying is keep that in perspective. I’m optimistic that Darnold could turn his career around here. But if he can’t, we are only out a 2nd. We aren’t married to him like we would have been in a trade up scenario 

I get that, it's what we gave up and when. We could have traded for Sam during the draft but we committed to next year way before we know our full options at pick 8. We basically hit refresh on the franchise and started from nul in everything we have learned since conception. The reality is we are years from crawling in the NFL again with how this franchise is being run. It's not just Darnold but Teddy followed by Darnold. It's a trend and the Jets, Jags and Browns of more than a year ago set a heavy and obvious historic evidence to the path we are going down. We are making bad decisions after bad decisions and it's just not worth spinning unless it's a coping mechanism. Things are not well in Pantherville. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I tried to tell y'all how Teddy would end up. If we made smart moves I'd celebrate them but I'm not gonna do mental gymanstics to try to convince myself that bad moves are smart moves.

You would have preferred mortgaging the future. Fair enough. Some of us feel mortgaging the future on an unproven isn’t better management. Might even be worse. 

Darnold may not work out. But I prefer trying this for a 2nd as opposed to trading three 1sts for a guy that may not even be as highly regarded as Darnold was coming out. 

Will it work? I dunno. Not sure Lance or Fields would have either. At least this one won’t cost us 3 drafts to figure that out.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

You would have preferred mortgaging the future. Fair enough. Some of us feel mortgaging the future on an unproven isn’t better management. Might even be worse. 

Darnold may not work out. But I prefer trying this for a 2nd as opposed to trading three 1sts for a guy that may not even be as highly regarded as Darnold was coming out. 

Will it work? I dunno. Not sure Lance or Fields would have either. At least this one won’t cost us 3 drafts to figure that out.

Mr. Mortage the present, and the future talking poo.

Just now, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Meanwhile, we keep spending valuable cap space and now draft assets on long shot options at QB. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If this ends up predictably and we end up dumpster diving at QB again next year, I might hit fandom free agency. I'm not gonna resign myself to being a fan of the new Browns.

yeah I’m not going to sit around and watch one of these other guys become a mega star while we have to endure annual draft dialogue on “trying to take some more off darnold’s plate” and “really lean on the run game this season”

this could get ugly

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I get that, it's what we gave up and when. We could have traded for Sam during the draft but we committed to next year way before we know our full options at pick 8. We basically hit refresh on the franchise and started from nul in everything we have learned since conception. The reality is we are years from crawling in the NFL again with how this franchise is being run. It's not just Darnold but Teddy followed by Darnold. It's a trend and the Jets, Jags and Browns of more than a year ago set a heavy and obvious historic evidence to the path we are going down. We are making bad decisions after bad decisions and it's just not worth spinning unless it's a coping mechanism. Things are not well in Pantherville. 

That’s fair. I think I’m just damn tired of the negativity on this board. People have been doom and gloom on here for 2 damn years now and I’m just tired of it. 

Not even saying you, but in general. I’m tired of the “we blew it” before we’ve even made it to the draft as some mods keep crying. Maybe we look back on this and say it was a bad trade. But I would like to at least see 15 minutes of football before we write everything off and slit our wrists, you know? 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Meanwhile, we keep spending valuable cap space and now draft assets on long shot options at QB. 

We’re we hoping to make a playoff run with the cap space we wasted this year? Cause Teddy is gone next season and Darnold the season after that. 

Seems a bit out of place to worry about that right now. 

3 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

I always have huge reservations about college coaches. Rhule hasn't changed that.

I felt rhule had a collection of genuine strengths that needed a strong hand from ownership so as not to not allow him to fall into the traps that so many college coaches fall into

then we gave him personnel control and here we are

Just now, Growl said:

yeah I’m not going to sit around and watch one of these other guys become a mega star while we have to endure annual draft dialogue on “trying to take some more off darnold’s plate” and “really lean on the run game this season”

this could get ugly

It's already ugly. We're just grasping at straws on how it might if all the stars align somehow end up not being ugly. It's a long shot. If we end up passing on a QB to draft an OT to "build around Darnold"... oh wee mayne. I'll just hope I'm wrong and it ends up working out but fully expecting that this will be the beginning of the end of the Rhule experiment.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1