• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It makes his hire in Jacksonville very questionable IMO. Forget the migraine issues that led to his OSU retirement. The guy has a long list of NFL QB failures and you're hiring him to develop the NFL career of the most anticipated QB prospect since Andrew Luck? Okay...

yeah, I am a Trevor stan.   And I just couldn't believe they are going to screw up landing Trevor by adding Urban.   

Urban creates toxic scenarios.....then bails.  Rinse and repeat.  I think his toxic creation will emerge even quicker in the pros than college.      

• Poo 1

8 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Bringing in a guy when they knew Cam would not be the same would have made sense. Too bad they didn't. 

Brady was a late round flyer.

Favre was an established vet starting the slide to the downside of his career with a good team around him. The Packers were in a position to be able to take a young QB and let him sit and learn. Same for Montana and Young. The Colts did the same with Manning and Luck. The current Panthers are not even in the ballpark that those teams were.

Once again, Cam Newton franchise QB equaled 3 winning seasons with the current rules. It takes a lot more than a QB to be a perennial contender. A young QB needs weapons, coaching, and protection. The Panthers failed to give Cam that repeatedly. The current contending and superbowl teams had good teams built and then got their QB. The Panthers should follow the examples of those winning teams.

I can agree with this statement. Except for the fact that the comparisons your using is off. We're in a position now with a young QB with experience to draft a contingency plan, who could sit for a while to determine if Sam is going to make it. If he doesn't then we're fine with Fields. If he does, then we have a surplus and trade bait. It sets us up nicely to not be forced into a long term contract with Sam if he doesn't pan out.

I'm just of the mindset that there is a reason why the guys listed above have been perennial contenders. Brady, Rodgers and many guys like that always provide wins with a sub par cast. We need that under center. When we find that then we continue the build. If they feel like he's THAT GUY. If not, then draft BPA get your tackle or CB. I just think completely disocounting having that talent stashed behind darnold is a bad idea. Bc we just don't know if Darnold will turn it around here. And if we were to trade that pick to NE, and fields comes out and meets the expectation. That'll sting a whole lot more. But I can see your side of things as well.

5 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

I can agree with this statement. Except for the fact that the comparisons your using is off. We're in a position now with a young QB with experience to draft a contingency plan, who could sit for a while to determine if Sam is going to make it. If he doesn't then we're fine with Fields. If he does, then we have a surplus and trade bait. It sets us up nicely to not be forced into a long term contract with Sam if he doesn't pan out.

I'm just of the mindset that there is a reason why the guys listed above have been perennial contenders. Brady, Rodgers and many guys like that always provide wins with a sub par cast. We need that under center. When we find that then we continue the build. If they feel like he's THAT GUY. If not, then draft BPA get your tackle or CB. I just think completely disocounting having that talent stashed behind darnold is a bad idea. Bc we just don't know if Darnold will turn it around here. And if we were to trade that pick to NE, and fields comes out and meets the expectation. That'll sting a whole lot more. But I can see your side of things as well.

I get what you're saying, but Darnold is a guy they are wanting to rehab. If not and it was an attempt at a smokescreen, it was stupid to trade for him. Other teams have seen how bad Darnold was in NY. Their FOs should be aware the Panthers could still take a QB or at least planned for that if one slips to 8 in the draft.

Adding a top ten QB might add extra pressure to Darnold. It'll definitely add pressure to the staff to start the rookie instead of letting him sit. The fans will yell for the rookie to start day 1. When Darnold throws a pick, if he plays, fans will yell louder for the rookie to start. When the Panthers lose a game, the fans will yell even louder for the rookie. The media will also question when the rookie will play, even if it isn't the local media.

I hate playing what if, but since you started it...What if the rookie QB sucks. What if the rookie tackle, CB, or whatever the Panthers pass on wins rookie of the year? That'll sting a lot too.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I get what you're saying, but Darnold is a guy they are wanting to rehab. If not and it was an attempt at a smokescreen, it was stupid to trade for him. Other teams have seen how bad Darnold was in NY.

Several teams expressed interest in trading for Darnold early. The vast majority of them weren't patient enough to wait on the Jets though.

The fact that we were makes it harder for me to buy in on the idea that we have a low opinion of him.

32 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Bringing in a guy when they knew Cam would not be the same would have made sense. Too bad they didn't. 

Brady was a late round flyer.

Favre was an established vet starting the slide to the downside of his career with a good team around him. The Packers were in a position to be able to take a young QB and let him sit and learn. Same for Montana and Young. The Colts did the same with Manning and Luck. The current Panthers are not even in the ballpark that those teams were.

Once again, Cam Newton franchise QB equaled 3 winning seasons with the current rules. It takes a lot more than a QB to be a perennial contender. A young QB needs weapons, coaching, and protection. The Panthers failed to give Cam that repeatedly. The current contending and superbowl teams had good teams built and then got their QB. The Panthers should follow the examples of those winning teams.

Coach, GM, QB

We see what Tepper thought of the coach and GM. They're gone. I wager to say that Tepper wouldn't have jettisoned prime Cam like he did those two.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Several teams expressed interest in trading for Darnold early. The vast majority of them weren't patient enough to wait on the Jets though.

The fact that we were makes it harder for me to buy in on the idea that we have a low opinion of him.

I've stated before the team could think Darnold is their guy. They might be right, they might be wrong. Only way to find out is to let him play.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Coach, GM, QB

We see what Tepper thought of the coach and GM. They're gone. I wager to say that Tepper wouldn't have jettisoned prime Cam like he did those two.

Tepper also hung on to Marty and Ron a lot longer than he should have too. Especially Marty.

Darnold = insurance and doesn’t make us trade away too many picks for a QB or settle on whoever makes it to 8. He allows us to take the BPA. They are comfortable with him at QB this year. If someone they like happens to fall to 8 it will be interesting. If it’s one they really like we will either get a nice haul in a trade down or have a QB competition in camp.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I've stated before the team could think Darnold is their guy. They might be right, they might be wrong. Only way to find out is to let him play.

they brought him in for a year to kick the tires.  see what is there.  we got nothing else going on.  I'm cool with that.  

this narrative we are all in on Darnold as anything more than the above, should draft around Sam being our QB, etc is what I ain't buying. 

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Darnold = insurance and doesn’t make us trade away too many picks for a QB or settle on whoever makes it to 8. He allows us to take the BPA. They are comfortable with him at QB this year. If someone they like happens to fall to 8 it will be interesting. If it’s one they really like we will either get a nice haul in a trade down or have a QB competition in camp.

I don't know why this is hard to comprehend. We can only speculate if they think Darnold can be revived but one thing for sure is that having him on the team gives us more options.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

From Gantt's article about the Bridgewater trade...

The Panthers cleared the way for new quarterback Sam Darnold to work without any kind of cloud over his head or doubt about his status, trading incumbent starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 2021 sixth-round pick.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Gantt's article about the Bridgewater trade...

The Panthers cleared the way for new quarterback Sam Darnold to work without any kind of cloud over his head or doubt about his status, trading incumbent starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 2021 sixth-round pick.

And Brees has us taking Fields per Tepper. Another exchange of opinions. If Darnold had a cloud over his head over Teddy he isn’t going to cut it as a starter in this league...

• Pie 1