• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jaycee Horn perspective

ellis

Hey guys. Hope y’all are enjoying the draft.

I had a pretty good sense last week that Horn might be their guy, talking to a few people who evaluate around the league. 

Just to give you some perspective: a league scout told me last week that he viewed Surtain very much like Bradberry, similar traits. Not as dynamic athletically, but quite good. 

Farley was their CB1 for a while, until the back stuff came up. 

Horn was always viewed as the the guy with “the highest ceiling of all the CB’s and a day one producer.” They think he can erase things on the perimeter. Man/zone. Fearless in run support, needs a little work on technique. 

Fields was very much in the conversation. All the way until the end. Sewell could been the pick. Trading back was very much in the conversation, as well. 

I was told, unequivocally, that Mac Jones was never going to be taken at 8. This is from somebody who would know.

Again, I’m not telling you to love or hate the pick, just giving you some perspective from folks I’ve talked to. 

Keep an eye on safety and tackle today.

• Pie 5

14 minutes ago, ellis said:

I had a pretty good sense last week that Horn might be their guy, talking to a few people who evaluate around the league. 

Just to give you some perspective: a league scout told me last week that he viewed Surtain very much like Bradberry, similar traits. Not as dynamic athletically, but quite good. 

Horn was always viewed as the the guy with “the highest ceiling of all the CB’s and a day one producer.” They think he can erase things on the perimeter. Man/zone. Fearless in run support, needs a little work on technique. 

Fields was very much in the conversation. All the way until the end. Sewell could been the pick. Trading back was very much in the conversation, as well. 

I was told, unequivocally, that Mac Jones was never going to be taken at 8. This is from somebody who would know.

Again, I’m not telling you to love or hate the pick, just giving you some perspective from folks I’ve talked to. 

This was a necessary pick.  We wanted to run more man with the CB1--do you put Jackson on Thomas?  Do you let Pride take on Julio?   

As I said (and others as well) there were maybe 2 CB1s in this draft, depending on how you look at Farley's back and Newsome--who was not on the Surtain/Horn level.  We did what we HAD to do yesterday, and came away with the CB1 with the most upside.

We all knew that day 2 would be the key to the draft.  So here we go.

• Pie 1

Another thought:  A lot of you wanted Fields, and time will tell, but Darnold was a #3 overall pick that we got for a 2022 #2 and #4.  Let's give him a shot. Had we taken Fields, we would still be stuck with Jackson on the final year of his deal, Pride (bless his heart) and 2 30+ free agents who have done nothing lately.  Last year, we gave up first downs on third down HALF of the time. The completion percentage against us outside the numbers was 71%.  You cannot win doing that. 
Full stop.  If we take Fields, we do not get the CB1.  We might have to try to find a CB in round 2 to stop the bleeding, and hope Scott/Erving can play T.   Basically, we'd still suck and Darnold would be blamed for it.

• Pie 4

It's not the franchise changing pick we were all hoping for, myself included.

It was, on longer consideration, a wise pick that could change the W-L column for us.

Better DB play means our rushers get home more often. Means we get their offense off the field more.

And it means we can take great advantage of playing INT-machine Jameis Winston twice a season.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, ellis said:

Good info and glad to see all that pre draft chatter/nonsense filtered out and the team end up with an exceptional prospect.  Who are you liking and/or what are you hearing the team likes at Safety and Tackle on day 2?

On 4/30/2021 at 8:24 AM, ellis said:

As a a Gamecock fan ai watched him play more than most.  I just don’t see him as a first rounder.  He had a good 40 but I just don’t see it.

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

@ellis Thanks for all your panthers content. Now let me run this by you. Draft is over and us memers have been dying to do something with our GM. Heres what I got = Scott Finesser

Thank you...and I love it. 🤣

On 5/2/2021 at 8:11 AM, MitchConner said:

As a a Gamecock fan ai watched him play more than most.  I just don’t see him as a first rounder.  He had a good 40 but I just don’t see it.

Any reason? He seemed to lock down whoever he was assigned to...