• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Value Gains and Losses

MHS831

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think (theory here--no evidence) that we were dropping to get him.  I think we wanted Horn from his pro day and we spotted Shi Smith there-so we were going to target Shi as our slot WR.  So they dropped a bit, and the T situation did not change much.  They dropped again, and Marshall was still there--they had to take him.  But then a few Tackles like Jalen Mayfield  was taken at 68, and they knew a team in front of them (Denver)  was in the market. We moved up 3 spots to leapfrog  Denver and Detroit (and we knew Detroit had Sewell).  Ironically, the next tackle chosen was 23 picks later at the 30th pick of the 3rd round (Spencer Brown, a RT) --, and then only projects Hudson and Smith went in the 4th.

It just seemed to me that they move up was insurance to keep Denver off Christensen, even though they needed only a RT.  I think if Mayfield had been on the board, Fitterer knew he would be chosen over Christensen by the Broncos, but they did not want to take chances after seeing Christensen's pro day and after seeing Mayfield go off the board at 68. 

I think the fact that Marshall dropped so far hindered our LT selection and caused the trade up.  Marshall was an early second rounder and to see a need sitting there at nearly an entire round later was too much to ask.

That's what I'm saying - they traded down to #52 and saw Jenkins, Eichenberg, Little, and Cosmi taken off the board.

We traded down again (I quite liked JOK, but whatever) to #59 and saw Radunz taken off the board too. 

Obviously Jalen Mayfield was taken off the board at #68 and suddenly we traded up to take Christensen at #70.

Which is why I wonder if they panicked and traded up - and I'd love to know how they graded all of the guys that were taken between #39 and #70. I suspect this is the 'gut punch' moment Fitterer referenced in the post-Draft press conference. 

• Pie 1