• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After final cuts, how many guys and at what positions do we get from waivers?

45catfan

Just now, CRA said:

They occasionally will cut old vets that are still decent….but are expensive and they feel comfortable making the replacement after a full preseason. 

if they are cut, they aren't nearly as expensive.  As a cut veteran FA looking for employment, that old, expensive contract from last season means absolutely nothing. 

Perhaps a backup MLB and possibly TE if they cut Ian Thomas and aren't sold on Thompson or Ricci as TE3. Outside of that, I don't see the need or value in picking up a team's castoff right before the season is starting. Honestly, we should only be talking about filling out the bottom of the roster. Put to rest the idea of finding a starting LT or C from the waiver wire. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

if they are cut, they aren't nearly as expensive.  As a cut veteran FA looking for employment, that old, expensive contract from last season means absolutely nothing. 

As long as your wait for him to clear waivers. A lot of fans miss that if you claim a player off waivers, you have to assume his existing contract. While I agree that decent players get cut, they usually do so because their contract is to expensive relative to their performance. If you wait til they clear waivers, then you're just bidding on a FA like at any other time during the year. You'll have to convince the player to play for you based on the pay you offer him etc.

Will their be decent players cut from their teams before start of the season? Sure. Am I holding out much hope that many of these players will be at premium hard to fill postions like LT or DE? No, and if such a player does clear waivers, we'd be in a bidding war with other teams for their services. It's not like most of the NFL couldn't use an upgrade at those spots.

One of the few things the old regime tended to do right imo was fill the safety spot this way regularly. Perfectly adequate safety help can often be picked up after preseason cuts. When was the last time you recall a team making a meaningful upgrade to it's roster by signing a FA LT or DE who was cut from their team during preseason?

• Pie 1

If Tremble is the real deal I see little or no reason to hang onto Thomas.  We've wasted 3 years waiting for him to develop.  Time to cut loose and move on and save some money we can use on OT or LB. 

I believe if we sign anyone it will be after they clear waivers and it will be a VET OT and possibly a LBer.  Of the two I believe we have a better chance of filling the LBer spot with a quailty vet over OT.

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

As long as your wait for him to clear waivers. A lot of fans miss that if you claim a player off waivers, you have to assume his existing contract. While I agree that decent players get cut, they usually do so because their contract is to expensive relative to their performance. If you wait til they clear waivers, then you're just bidding on a FA like at any other time during the year. You'll have to convince the player to play for you based on the pay you offer him etc.

Will their be decent players cut from their teams before start of the season? Sure. Am I holding out much hope that many of these players will be at premium hard to fill postions like LT or DE? No, and if such a player does clear waivers, we'd be in a bidding war with other teams for their services. It's not like most of the NFL couldn't use an upgrade at those spots.

One of the few things the old regime tended to do right imo was fill the safety spot this way regularly. Perfectly adequate safety help can often be picked up after preseason cuts. When was the last time you recall a team making a meaningful upgrade to it's roster by signing a FA LT or DE who was cut from their team during preseason?

A LB, we can claim off waivers and not have to worry about salary.  A good backup OT would have to clear waivers because even swing OTs worth their salt demand a decent amount of money.  I doubt there would be too big of a bidding war in such a scenario.  A reserve DE I could go either way, claim off waivers or wait until they clear.  There's usually more to dig through at DE than OT though, but if a diamond in the rough is to be had, I could deal with the team paying a bit of a premium to get him.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, 45catfan said:

I think we need to hit up the waivers for a K, FB, DE, LB and swing tackle. Slye is done and we don't have a legit FB on the roster.  I am uncomfortable with the depth at DE, LB and OT.  Theses 5 positions I would target after final cuts IF there's an upgrade available.

I’m just admiring your profile pic of Kelvin Benjamin.

• Flames 1