• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st Round Redo: Horn vs Slater

hepcat

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think we have to worry about that with this staff. They don't have any issue playing young players. Could be another Whitehead situation, the young guys just aren't quite there yet. 

We will see, but it’s obvious the guys they put out with the first string aren’t the best players at their positions. Christiansen, Daley, and maybe Deonte Brown will be starting this season. Maybe not Week 1 but it needs to happen.

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, hepcat said:

What game were you watching? That was the Steelers backups and they got pressure every single play. You want to imagine what their defense would have looked like if TJ Watt and Bud Dupree played? LOL 

I was watching a preseason game against a top defense bringing pressure against a starting offense playing their first extended action.  They got pressure because they  blitzed most plays bringing 5 or 6.  Overall I thought we did better than I expected honestly.  Surely not enough for all the hysteria.

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I was watching a preseason game against a top defense bringing pressure against a starting offense playing their first extended action.  They got pressure because they  blitzed most plays bringing 5 or 6.  Overall I thought we did better than I expected honestly.  Surely not enough for all the hysteria.

That was better than you expected?? Damn, I didn't think anyone had a lower opinion of that OL than me.

• Flames 3

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The second string of a top defense is not a top defense. 

And against a second string defense, the Panthers first string offensive line directly cost the Panthers two scoring opportunities. Run blocking and pass blocking were both downright atrocious at times.

And if the Steelers first string was in, the way that line was playing….I don’t even want to speculate.

But the good news is, the Steelers second string defense is probably better than the Jets first string defense so hopefully Week 1 we see a better performance.

• Beer 3

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That was better than you expected?? Damn, I didn't think anyone had a lower opinion of that OL than me.

Not at all. Go back and watching any of  the last several years when we played Pittsburgh in the preseason or regular season. Our line would look like a sieve and the Steelers would have a party in our back field. And how many times have we made rookies and backups look awesome.  I was hoping to avoid a disaster so yeah we looked much better than I expected.

• Beer 1

46 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Given the wide receivers in our division it is Horn. Our O line gets criticized every year yet we end up middle of the pack. Whether it is Moton or Erving we will be okay this year.  Would I have liked Slater? Sure but not instead of Horn who if we didn't draft him would be playing in New Orleans against us.

Middle of the pack isn't a good thing.

As for Horn or Slater, we'll have to wait and see. If both play well, then it's a matter of philosophy. 

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not at all. Go back and watching any of  the last several years when we played Pittsburgh in the preseason or regular season. Our line would look like a sieve and the Steelers would have a party in our back field. And how many times have we made rookies and backups look awesome.  I was hoping to avoid a disaster so yeah we looked much better than I expected.

Eh.....that's fair. They really have destroyed us recently. I suppose if that is the bar, this was better than that.

Not much of a bar though.

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The second string of a top defense is not a top defense. 

And against a second string defense, the Panthers first string offensive line directly cost the Panthers two scoring opportunities. Run blocking and pass blocking were both downright atrocious at times.

And if the Steelers first string was in, the way that line was playing….I don’t even want to speculate.

But the good news is, the Steelers second string defense is probably better than the Jets first string defense so hopefully Week 1 we see a better performance.

The talent might drop.off somewhat but the scheme is the same and that is what we got experience against which is one of the best in the league.  We also mixed up our line as we went and some of those guys starting for our line might end up being backups so no it was  a good test. You just went on a rant trashing the line and won't give any concessions so no need to go on and in with you. As I showed you in another post we always end up.middle of the pack and this year will be the same. But you can chicken little all you want...

One thing I liked about Horn, he locked up Chase Claypool, who played A LOT last season. Like, Haskins didn't even look his way after the first one. taking a way half the field? I'll take that every day. 

Edited by Jaxel
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, Jaxel said:

One thing I liked about Horn, he locked up Chase Claypool, who's player A LOT last season. Like, Haskins didn't even look his way after the first one. taking a way half the field? I'll take that every day. 

To be fair though, Haskins might have not looked his way because he is a horrible QB who should not be in the NFL anymore 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

To be fair though, Haskins might have not looked his way because he is a horrible QB who should not be in the NFL anymore 

Yeah, I don't think you will see that same thing with Big Ben in there. If anything, he is probably going to be keen to challenge the rookie.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Middle of the pack isn't a good thing.

As for Horn or Slater, we'll have to wait and see. If both play well, then it's a matter of philosophy. 

Yeah it is if we start off being ranked in the very bottom.  Our secondary needed fixing more than the line this year. Moton is going to left tackle and we will be much improved. You are not one to chicken little so your take it a little surprising.

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Eh.....that's fair. They really have destroyed us recently. I suppose if that is the bar, this was better than that.

Not much of a bar though.

Exactly. When your line is ranked 30 out of 32  and you are facing a top defense who has routinely trashed you and broke the best quarterback you have ever had, the bar is pretty low.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah it is if we start off being ranked in the very bottom.  Our secondary needed fixing more than the line this year. Moton is going to left tackle and we will be much improved. You are not one to chicken little so your take it a little surprising.

I really don't see it as being a Chicken Little as much as I see it as being realistic. I guess it's a matter of expectations. 

In any event, I don't know how anyone can feel good about Paradis, Elfein and Miller last night. And that was basically against backups. "It was preseason" is about the best sugarcoating you can put on it.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 2