• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL)

GamecockSmitty4

Didn't realize it at first but even Waddell's comments in the press release is the same as Montreal's when they signed Aho just with the name swapped. 

Not to mention the Canes announced it on Twitter in French. 

This is next level. 

And if MTL doesn't accept, we get Kotkaniemi on a 1 year deal to fill the LW hole and lose a (likely) late 1st and 3rd. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Oh man. This may turn epic. I mean judging by his stats is he even worth 6? We may end up stuck with the guy. 

No but he's a 21 year old former 3rd overall pick and a Finn at that. Worst case is you overpay for a year and give up a late first and third and fill your 3rd line with a high upside play. Heck, he may even play up to his potential and then you have his RFA rights and that's easily worth it.

If he doesn't play up to his value you can let him walk or negotiate a long term deal next year at market value. 

And, if the Canadiens match (I'd call it 50/50 but honestly have no idea) they overpay and have to offer more than that next year as a RFA and Canes lose nothing and screw over MTL for playing that game with Aho. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

No but he's a 21 year old former 3rd overall pick and a Finn at that. Worst case is you overpay for a year and give up a late first and third and fill your 3rd line with a high upside play. Heck, he may even play up to his potential and then you have his RFA rights and that's easily worth it.

If he doesn't play up to his value you can let him walk or negotiate a long term deal next year at market value. 

And, if the Canadiens match (I'd call it 50/50 but honestly have no idea) they overpay and have to offer more than that next year as a RFA and Canes lose nothing and screw over MTL for playing that game with Aho. 

Honestly, the more I look into it the more I would not be opposed to picking this dude up for a season. 2-3 LW and a Finn? 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Honestly, the more I look into it the more I would not be opposed to picking this dude up for a season. 2-3 LW and a Finn? 

Agreed. Pierre Lebrun even mentioned that the Canes tried to trade for him before signing the offer sheet so it's not like they did this for a Joe Schmoe. 

Bold move but really not a loss either way. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

Agreed. Pierre Lebrun even mentioned that the Canes tried to trade for him before signing the offer sheet so it's not like they did this for a Joe Schmoe. 

Bold move but really not a loss either way. 

His numbers have been a little lackluster but his play has been stellar. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

His numbers have been a little lackluster but his play has been stellar. 

It will be interesting to see his development regardless of if he is in MTL, CAR, or somewhere else. Keep in mind Turbo was not all that great in his early years either and really didn't take the next step until he came to Raleigh. Kotkaniemi may just be a slower development guy too. 

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

It will be interesting to see his development regardless of if he is in MTL, CAR, or somewhere else. Keep in mind Turbo was not all that great in his early years either and really didn't take the next step until he came to Raleigh. Kotkaniemi may just be a slower development guy too. 

Ya. Turbo had something last season too. His head wasn’t right. It sounded like more than just usual concussion symptoms. I really hope he can return to form this season. 

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

It will be interesting to see his development regardless of if he is in MTL, CAR, or somewhere else. Keep in mind Turbo was not all that great in his early years either and really didn't take the next step until he came to Raleigh. Kotkaniemi may just be a slower development guy too

Hes 21.... 

• Pie 1