• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An early look at 2022 QB class...

methodtoll

23 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Chargers had no line and drafted Herbert, Bengals did the same with Burrow, and the Cardinals did the same with Murray. You need a QB to compete in this league, once you have that you can build around them. Going into next year with Darnold plus a rookie OG and this line won’t change this franchise as much as a potential QB can. It should have been addressed as soon as we parted ways with Cam or the following year, but we can’t keep trying random stop gap vets and assuming we will be fine. I get that we need to fix the line, but we are missing the most important position in sports and have only one early pick to try to correct it.

Do you see a prospect in this class that is equal or better then either Herbert or Burrow?

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Do you see a prospect in this class that is equal or better then either Herbert or Burrow?

I wasn’t high on Herbert (I was clearly wrong). I thought he didn’t live up to his hype in Oregon. Burrow was a one year wonder technically (it was just a historic year) which is the negative on Pickett. I like Howell probably higher than I did Herbert coming out (and I’m an Auburn fan not UNC). Howell looked great last year and still kept his team competitive this year with little help. I don’t know enough about Strong. I don’t rank any as high as Burrow, but he was also number 1 overall which (hopefully) we won’t be picking. I was concerned about Murray’s size coming out, but he proved me wrong. Basically if there is a QB we are high on, we should draft him and then continue to build around him.

56 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Chargers had no line and drafted Herbert, Bengals did the same with Burrow, and the Cardinals did the same with Murray. You need a QB to compete in this league, once you have that you can build around them. Going into next year with Darnold plus a rookie OG and this line won’t change this franchise as much as a potential QB can. It should have been addressed as soon as we parted ways with Cam or the following year, but we can’t keep trying random stop gap vets and assuming we will be fine. I get that we need to fix the line, but we are missing the most important position in sports and have only one early pick to try to correct it.

Except this year's QB crop is subpar. None of these QBs could hold those dude's jock straps.  Wishing for a franchise QB isn't going to make it so.  If we had a shot at a  Burrow/Herbert/Murray prospect, then sure.  Please tell which of these guys are going to be anywhere close to those three?  My favorite draft site doesn't have ANY QB in the 2022 class in his top 10....NONE

Edited by 45catfan

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Except this year's QB crop is subpar. None of these QBs could hold those dude's jock straps.  Wishing for a franchise QB isn't going to make it so.  If we had a shot at a  Burrow/Herbert/Murray prospect, then sure.  Please tell which of these guys are going to be anywhere close to those three?  My favorite draft site doesn't have ANY QB in the 2022 class in his top 10....NONE

Herbert was polarizing. Some had him in the top 10 some scouts didn’t have him in the first round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2020/4/16/21222904/justin-herbert-nfl-draft-2020-quarterback-strengths-weaknesses-film-oregon-chargers

It’s easy and sit back and say these guys were going to be great now that they are playing well. Many scouts also questioned Murray’s size and ability to play in the NFL. If we are picking around 8 as it looks right now taking one of these QBs wouldn’t be that bad. Watson and Mahomes were in the range or later and had several concerns coming into the league. If there is a QB our staff likes available when we pick we should absolutely take him. People are freaking out because there isn’t a clear cut number 1. Well guess what? We more than likely aren’t picking number 1 so it really doesn’t matter. Many analysts will out first round grades in these guys and they all have some potential.

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Herbert was polarizing. Some had him in the top 10 some scouts didn’t have him in the first round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2020/4/16/21222904/justin-herbert-nfl-draft-2020-quarterback-strengths-weaknesses-film-oregon-chargers

It’s easy and sit back and say these guys were going to be great now that they are playing well. Many scouts also questioned Murray’s size and ability to play in the NFL. If we are picking around 8 as it looks right now taking one of these QBs wouldn’t be that bad. Watson and Mahomes were in the range or later and had several concerns coming into the league. If there is a QB our staff likes available when we pick we should absolutely take him. People are freaking out because there isn’t a clear cut number 1. Well guess what? We more than likely aren’t picking number 1 so it really doesn’t matter. Many analysts will out first round grades in these guys and they all have some potential.

Herbert was always a top 10 pick in most respected circles; top 5 as the draft drew nearer.  Some had him going ahead of Tua and others didn't.  I wasn't the biggest Herbert fan either, but I knew he was a top 10 pick.  Murray had the talent, his size was his biggest, and frankly only real knock.  Yeah, just about everyone whiffed on Mahomes. How often does a Mahomes-type prospect come around though? Again, this 2022 class in one the weaker ones for QB in recent memory.  Reaching out of need...ESPECIALLY for a make or break position like QB is organizational suicide. 

Anyways carry on, sorry I interrupted y'alls QB pipe dream. 

Edited by 45catfan

29 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

And more importantly it looks like the 2023 is going to be really strong again.  4 dudes are already in the mix for the top spot

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Herbert was always a top 10 pick in most respected circles; top 5 as the draft drew nearer.  Some had him going ahead of Tua and others didn't.  I wasn't the biggest Herbert fan either, but I knew he was a top 10 pick.  Murray had the talent, his size was his biggest, and frankly only real knock.  Yeah, just about everyone whiffed on Mahomes. How often does a Mahomes-type prospect come around though? Again, this 2022 class in one the weaker ones for QB in recent memory.  Reaching out of need...ESPECIALLY for a make or break position like QB is organizational suicide. 

Anyways carry on, sorry I interrupted y'alls QB pipe dream. 

Ok when when these draft boards come out with 1st round grades on Corral, Pickett, Strong, and possibly Howell after the combine don’t flip on this stance. 

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Ok when when these draft boards come out with 1st round grades on Corral, Pickett, Strong, and possibly Howell after the combine don’t flip on this stance. 

Do NOT twist my words.  I said none of them are top 10 talent, maybe one will eventually break the top10.  Corral being the most likely.  Not being a top 10 talent does not mean there is not first round talent.  However, if you are settling on mid-first round talent as your franchise QB, then you are REALLY rolling the dice.  Only a draft novice wouldn't know the difference.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Do NOT twist my words.  I said none of them are top 10 talent, maybe one will eventually break the top10.  Corral being the most likely.  Not being a top 10 talent does not mean there is not first round talent.  However, if you are settling on mid-first round talent as your franchise QB, then you are REALLY rolling the dice.  Only a draft novice wouldn't know the difference.

Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, Pat Mahomes, Big Ben,  and now Mac Jones are examples of current are examples of mid to late first rounders who are starting (aside from Watson) QBs. 3 are recent MVPs, 3 have won Super Bowls and one is almost a lock for offensive rookie of the year. Drafting a QB in the top 10 has PLENTY of chances to bust, hell we have one on our roster right now. Top 10 talent would be an opinion. If a QB is drafted in the top 10 they are going to be viewed as such by their team. It all simply depends on how high are scouts/staff are on any given player. 

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, Pat Mahomes, Big Ben,  and now Mac Jones are examples of current are examples of mid to late first rounders who are starting (aside from Watson) QBs. 3 are recent MVPs, 3 have won Super Bowls and one is almost a lock for offensive rookie of the year. Drafting a QB in the top 10 has PLENTY of chances to bust, hell we have one on our roster right now. Top 10 talent would be an opinion. If a QB is drafted in the top 10 they are going to be viewed as such by their team. It all simply depends on how high are scouts/staff are on any given player. 

Cherry picking at it's finest.  Mahomes was #10, so thus a top 10 pick, Watson was #12, so nearly a to 10.  Rogers was a fluke slide and Jackson had a bunch of question marks .  Again, if you want to spend the only pick we have in the top 100 on a suspect QB, then that's on you my friend.  Cherry pick the scenario that fits your narrative all you want, its not going to change the fact this this a SUBPAR QB CLASS.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Cherry picking at it's finest.  Mahomes was #10, so thus a top 10 pick, Watson was #12, so nearly a to 10.  Rogers was a fluke slide and Jackson had a bunch of question marks .  Again, if you want to spend the only pick we have in the top 100 on a suspect QB, then that's on you my friend.  Cherry pick the scenario that fits your narrative all you want, its not going to change the fact this this a SUBPAR QB CLASS.

Where do you think we are going to be picking? If we draft a Corral with our current number 8 he would become a top 10 pick. Mahomes was considered a reach at 10 which even you admitted caught most of us off guard. So 12 is “nearly a top 10”? 12 would be outside of the top 10 I mean 16/17 is the middle of the first… You have to draw lines somewhere or the goalpost keeps moving. If 12 is “nearly” top 10 and a qb like Pickett is ranked 14/15 in this class you really start splitting hairs. If there was a overwhelming top QB like Lawrence he would be well out of our reach anyway come draft day. I’m just saying there is plenty of 1st round QB talent for us to consider in this draft just not a universal number 1 pick which would be irrelevant to us this year.

17 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Where do you think we are going to be picking? If we draft a Corral with our current number 8 he would become a top 10 pick. Mahomes was considered a reach at 10 which even you admitted caught most of us off guard. So 12 is “nearly a top 10”? 12 would be outside of the top 10 I mean 16/17 is the middle of the first… You have to draw lines somewhere or the goalpost keeps moving. If 12 is “nearly” top 10 and a qb like Pickett is ranked 14/15 in this class you really start splitting hairs. If there was a overwhelming top QB like Lawrence he would be well out of our reach anyway come draft day. I’m just saying there is plenty of 1st round QB talent for us to consider in this draft just not a universal number 1 pick which would be irrelevant to us this year.

I think we will be picking 7-10.  Mahomes was an anomaly, but please keep using him as an example and I'll start to use Tom Brady why it's wise to draft your franchise QB in the 6th round. Normally that range of QB flops.  Which gets me to.... that range of QB normally flops.  Talk about moving goal posts, just because the top guy in this draft may be say selection #10, does not mean he'll be equivalent to Trevor Lawrence or Kyler Murray due to the talent spectrum shifting to the lower end of the scale where we pick.  First QB off the board does not equate to first pick overall which those guys were.   Just because our pick may line up with first QB slated off the board does not mean that QB is worth the risk.

Edited by 45catfan