• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Parcells' (& Rhules) Philosophy pt1 INTEGRITY

Panthers Rhule

I was reading a thread about Rhule and it reminded me of something I read from Coach Parcells who Coach Rhule often mentions. Rhule is obviously an admirer of Parcells and knowing how Parcells operated it makes it very clear to me that Rhule is following Parcells philosophy. Do you agree that he's doing this? Do you agree with this? etc. If people like this I will add more of Parcells' philosophies in future posts. I personally am a big fan of this. So, here's part 1. Integrity.

Integrity:

• Philosophy

 The philosophy has a sound basic structure.

 It reflects the leader’s vision and values.

 It is communicated and accepted throughout the organization.

 Most important, it remains in place long enough to allow for success.

 When you act with integrity, in accordance with your organization’s core principles, you’re not taking a risk. You’re fulfilling your mission – and giving yourself       the best possible chance to succeed.

• Leaders have a vision

 They can picture the desired result of a project before they begin

 When an organization stays the course and holds fast to their philosophy, through good times and bad, they work from a firm foundation. They gain an     identity. They stand for something.

 In an unstable environment, it is especially vital for leaders to articulate their vision for the organization – clearly, explicitly, and often.

 Every organization, whether it’s floundering or ruling the roost, needs a calm, clear vision. Only people inside the group can chart its course; outside voices must be kept in their place.

 To enlist people to share their vision, leaders must be prepared to walk the walk.

• People are the most important (components of a philosophy.)

 Leaders must know what people are needed to implement a system.

 Must have an eye to identify them when they surface.

 Many systems collapse because people can’t recognize the parts you need to build the structure your after. (your philosophy will falter out of the gate)  Interview a prospective player….ask them what is most important (3 or 4)… football must be in that list.

 Also want to know about family support system and his goals in life.

 When matching people to roles in the organization, it’s not enough to weigh what they have done in the past. To get the right fit, it’s crucial to consider what they could do if the environment allowed them to flourish.

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

 When matching people to roles in the organization, it’s not enough to weigh what they have done in the past. To get the right fit, it’s crucial to consider what they could do if the environment allowed them to flourish.

Read:  C. J. Henderson

Parcells was master motivator but he did it with intimidation.  Rhule is different and does it with respect.  

There are plenty of differing opinions on which style works best but I think either can be effective.

Bobby Knight vs Dean Smith is a good example

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Shocker said:

Parcells was master motivator but he did it with intimidation.  Rhule is different and does it with respect.  

There are plenty of differing opinions on which style works best but I think either can be effective.

Bobby Knight vs Dean Smith is a good example

The intimidation thing is of the past. Player and people these days just don't respond well to it. It's one thing I really noticed and adjusted in my coaching philosophy years ago. Gen Z is smart and asks questions where Gen X and before didn't as much and responded much better to dictatorship rulers. This day you command with respect and encouragement not hostility.