• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Theory on Thursday Night Games Going Forward

Matthias

9 hours ago, Matthias said:

With the news of CMC going on IR, it is beginning to look like that one night in Houston will cost us a promising season. (In spite of a horrid O-line)  You have to remember it wasn't just our star halfback that got sidelined, but also our up and coming corner Jaycee Horn, who at the time we were wondering if he tore his achilles.  That much damage was done going up against a crappy Texans team.  This got me thinking quite a bit.  I've been thinking about McCaffrey's workload and how impossible it is to decrease it no matter what our coaching staff say in wanting to see him get less touches. (He is the offense folks.  Shoot, he might be the entire team at this point)  Then I thought about the league increasing the season by one game.  This of course made the season longer.  It was at this point an interesting idea began to swirl.  In the NBA, there are times when stars of big name teams sit out games to rest up.  When it comes to these ridiculous Thursday night games, on the road, not against a division opponent, not against a conference opponent, we should rest our starters.

Now of course hindsight is 20/20.  With an undefeated team riding high, who in their right mind would rest their starters?  That would be unheard of.  Yet going forward, I would set this as the new standard if I were coaching a team.  The only exceptions would be if we desperately needed the game, and/or if it is a division opponent.  Now I know a lot of folks will crap on this idea, I say fug that.  We lost our young rookie for the year in Jaycee Horn.  We lost CMC for most of the year, if not the year with the way his hamstring is twitching.  Heck, we lost freaking Burris in that mother lovin' Texan game if I'm not mistaken.  That free safety spot in our defense has been vacant ever since.  Shoot, you got me wondering if D-Jax or AJ Bouye can play safety until Burris can come back.  Screw the NFL and their Thursday Night games!!!  Again if I were the coach, I'm resting me and mine, if not forfeiting them mugs all together!😄  This league is tough to play games on the regular and stay healthy, yet you are going to give these men two days to rest before they have to get ready to play again?  I'm telling y'all we are going to have to get ahead of this curve.  As the old adage say, "Work smarter, not harder".

The problem becomes as soon as you do that you will miss the playoffs by one game or miss home field by one game. 

The NFL just needs to be less greedy and get rid of the TNF games. If I was the McCafferys and Horns I would throw some weight around with the NFLPA to try and get rid of them altogether.

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

When it comes to these ridiculous Thursday night games, on the road, not against a division opponent, not against a conference opponent, we should rest our starters.

This is an interesting question regardless of whether or not it is Thursday, Monday, or 9.30am (EST) in London on a Sunday. 

The NBA has had to legislate against stars taking time off and on a comparative basis given the relatively light workload I suspect the NFL will take a hard line on the issue...

...ice up son.

You’re not wrong, but the NFL doesn’t care about the injuries or the changes to a team’s chances given the injuries. TNF games still get high ratings. People complain and tell the NFL that the games shouldn’t happen because it isn’t enough recovery time. And they’re right. But as long as the NFL gets its ratings, it doesn’t fuging care one goddamn bit. 

34 minutes ago, PantherGuy said:

You’re not wrong, but the NFL doesn’t care about the injuries or the changes to a team’s chances given the injuries. TNF games still get high ratings. People complain and tell the NFL that the games shouldn’t happen because it isn’t enough recovery time. And they’re right. But as long as the NFL gets its ratings, it doesn’t fuging care one goddamn bit. 

You are aware the player's union --- publicly known as the National Football League Players Association --- collectively bargains and agrees to all the rules of when, why, how, and where the players play?

The players are getting paid after all...

...ice up son.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

On 10/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, Matthias said:

Burris got hurt as well.  You're right CMC played late in that Saints game when we had things wrapped up.  

Im sure others got hurt/nicked/strains/normal game stuff and its never known. Plus Rhule should have rest more than just CMC in that game, get the youngest team/players some snaps?? Never the less, ugh...

Turf-wise I have changed. I was once a 100% natural grass fellow, but they have GREATLY improved since the astro dome "turf". Been 40+/- years and now most NFLers grew up playing on the fake stuff cause nearly all HC teams use it now. The recent data points to no difference, unlike 20 years ago. 

Thursday-wise less time for recovery is a thing for sure. Its here to stay, (new rule?)coaching needs to call up more players form PS and maybe rest others to aid. Honestly Ive been pushing hard for 2 bye weeks for everyone. London games adds to the thursday issues as well. Still another week helps eveyone, season is longer- more $$$$ for the greedy and players get another week of R&R. Weeks 4-8 10-14. I know scheduling is 100X harder than I think, but this could help that instead of add to the problem. 

• Pie 1