• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This loss is on the receivers, not Sam.

onmyown

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

At some level I am glad it is Sam out there getting drilled and not some promising rookie we drafted. It's pretty clear Darnold is going to be the future here so let him work out the kinks on offense while we keep building that OL in 2022. 

Oh hell no you don't want a rookie behind this line. We'd be well on our way to ruining one. At least Darnold if he is ruined was already there. Quite frankly he doesn't conduct himself like Carr and isn't gun shy. I don't think he's broken at all he's just a gun slinger with the demeanor of a game manager so it gets people twisted.

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's pretty clear Darnold is going to be the future here so let him work out the kinks on offense while we keep building that OL in 2022. 

I don't think that's at all clear. If anything, it may be getting clearer that he's not the future. I know this staff is adverse to rookie QBs but  they might find themselves in survival mode this off-season. Drafting a first round rookie QB might be their best survival strategy. Sam's fifth year option is already picked up, so let him play wet nurse next year and you've essentially bought yourself two more years barring disaster.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think that's at all clear. If anything, it may be getting clearer that he's not the future. I know this staff is adverse to rookie QBs but  they might find themselves in survival mode this off-season. Drafting a first round rookie QB might be their best survival strategy. Sam's fifth year option is already picked up, so let him play wet nurse next year and you've essentially bought yourself two more years barring disaster.

Grand scheme of things already having the roster sans a QB is a better place to be than only having a QB and nothing else. After spending a year to build up the OL if we get a later round QB or even an early draft pick and put him in with this defense/weapons and the hypothetical OL we'd build that's how a SB window could be open the longest.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

Grand scheme of things already having the roster sans a QB is a better place to be than only having a QB and nothing else. After spending a year to build up the OL if we get a later round QB or even an early draft pick and put him in with this defense/weapons and the hypothetical OL we'd build that's how a SB window could be open the longest.

I can't agree. That franchise QB puzzle piece is the hardest one to find. Either way, right now we need that piece and at least 2-3 starting OL and we don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. We better make a helluva lot better decisions in OL free agency next year, that's all I can say about that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I missed the key word which changes that entire post. 

NOT

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't agree. That franchise QB puzzle piece is the hardest one to find.

And easiest to fug up. It's very hard to find one and can literally take one OL/coach to break.

What my comment was mostly about is having a QB on the rookie contract while having an already good roster. Seattle won with their roster + low money given to Wilson and now the HoF QB which they have is useless behind a non roster same with ATL.

Brady in NE always had a defense and their SBs were 1 score games where the defense held opponents down and he always had an OL. Mahommes defense in KC, and so on.

Denver with a broke neck Manning

Can really keep going btw...that everything on the QB poo is for ESPN

Edited by Fox007
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

And easiest to fug up. It's very hard to find one and can literally take one OL/coach to break.

What my comment was mostly about is having a QB on the rookie contract while having an already good roster. Seattle won with their roster + low money given to Wilson and now the HoF QB which they have is useless behind a non roster same with ATL.

Brady in NE always had a defense and their SBs were 1 score games where the defense held opponents down and he always had an OL. Mahommes defense in KC, and so on.

Denver with a broke neck Manning

Can really keep going btw...that everything on the QB poo is for ESPN

There's more to it than JUST the QB but having a legit franchise QB is pretty much a prerequisite.

• Beer 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

There's more to it than JUST the QB but having a legit franchise QB is pretty much a prerequisite.

Yea no argument there. I'm saying getting one while having the team set is a good spot to be in and we have a large portion of our team set. LIke fug it i'd take Watson with a line next year for example and that team could compete for the SB.

Still need the Watson or the good rookie contract QB but just having a QB run around alone ain't the ticket. We seen that with Cam already

Just now, Fox007 said:

Yea no argument there. I'm saying getting one while having the team set is a good spot to be in and we have a large portion of our team set. LIke fug it i'd take Watson with a line next year for example and that team could compete for the SB.

Still need the Watson or the good rookie contract QB but just having a QB run around alone ain't the ticket. We seen that with Cam already

I just don't think you have the luxury to pick and choose your timing. You have to jump when given the opportunity. I thought we had that opportunity this year with Justin Fields but we decided he wasn't the answer. We'll see how that decision ultimately plays out.

I just don't think you have the luxury to pick and choose your timing. You have to jump when given the opportunity. I thought we had that opportunity this year with Justin Fields but we decided he wasn't the answer. We'll see how that decision ultimately plays out.

I wouldn't put him or any rookie behind this OL. So if it was me he'd be sitting which is something they should be doing anyway if you don't have poo to go with them.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

I wouldn't put him or any rookie behind this OL. So if it was me he'd be sitting which is something they should be doing anyway if you don't have poo to go with them.

I'd be fine with Fields sitting and learning while Darnold takes this pounding. I just think this staff believed they could fast forward the rebuild by focusing on the rest of the roster while dumpster diving at QB. It just doesn't work that way in today's NFL. They keep tweaking the rules to benefit offense to give the casual fans the high flying high scoring games they want to see. In response, you better build a roster capable of putting up points in bunches.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's also fair to question for now the ability of the coaching staff to identify a QB. That hasn't been settled yet at all

I'd be fine with Fields sitting and learning while Darnold takes this pounding. I just think this staff believed they could fast forward the rebuild by focusing on the rest of the roster while dumpster diving at QB. It just doesn't work that way in today's NFL. They keep tweaking the rules to benefit offense to give the casual fans the high flying high scoring games they want to see. In response, you better build a roster capable of putting up points in bunches.

I would have been fine with Fields in the draft, granted its really early but he hasnt really been blowing folks away with his play as of yet.  Looks the part just doesnt play like it.