• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Day Menu

Captain Morgan

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

48 hour smoke?

Nah, we'll git 'er done in 10-11 keeping the temps between 250-275. USDA prime brisket let's you get away with higher temps. So much moister with the fat content.  Pork butt is so friendly to smoke you can get away with just about any temp. You could probably broil it to smoke it. Okay, that's an exaggeration but as long as you keep the temps south of 325 or so you're gonna end up fine.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Geez, man, who can afford meat anymore????? Looks great!

I'm flexin'! LOL!

Nah, bought the briskets on sale for 98 cents per pound and Sam's Club has USDA prime brisket for $5.38 per pound. So it's about $125 on meat. Not bad considering there's close to 50 pounds in the smoker.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nah, we'll git 'er done in 10-11 keeping the temps between 250-275. USDA prime brisket let's you get away with higher temps. So much moister with the fat content.  Pork butt is so friendly to smoke you can get away with just about any temp. You could probably broil it to smoke it. Okay, that's an exaggeration but as long as you keep the temps south of 325 or so you're gonna end up fine.

Try some Aussie Wagyu brisket at some point. Really amazing.

Did a American Wagyu vs. Aussie Wagyu vs. Japanese Wagyu brisket showdown last year. Aussie Wagyu came out the winner.

It's funny the rep brisket has about being difficult to smoke but when you have those BMS 9+ brisket, they are almost idiot proof.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Try some Aussie Wagyu brisket at some point. Really amazing.

Did a American Wagyu vs. Aussie Wagyu vs. Japanese Wagyu brisket showdown last year. Aussie Wagyu came out the winner.

It's funny the rep brisket has about being difficult to smoke but when you have those BMS 9+ brisket, they are almost idiot proof.

Yep. Anyone that complains about brisket being hard, I just ask them if they've ever tried smoking a prime brisket. The answer is always no.  Yeah if you're smoking those lean choice briskets there's zero room for error. You better be on point. But good prime briskets are almost as forgiving as pork butt.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Also, I'll admit to another cheat that I do. Everyone who's done much smoking at all knows about the "Texas crutch". Wrapping with aluminum foil at the stall to reduce cooking time. Okay. But here's the thing, as soon as you wrap you're done smoking. You're roasting at that point. So fug it. Pull it and put it in the oven at that point. Don't tie yourself to tending the smoker unnecessarily and wasting good wood. The end result is the same.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Also, I'll admit to another cheat that I do. Everyone who's done much smoking at all knows about the "Texas crutch". Wrapping with aluminum foil at the stall to reduce cooking time. Okay. But here's the thing, as soon as you wrap you're done smoking. You're roasting at that point. So fug it. Pull it and put it in the oven at that point. Don't tie yourself to tending the smoker unnecessarily and wasting good wood. The end result is the same.

Warhammer 40K Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, it gets the majority of the smoke in the first couple of hours anyway.