• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Playcalling Issue: 2nd and Short

davos

Something that’s been happening all season and already 4 times today is getting a 2nd and 2 (or less)

We keep going fast sneaking Sam, running a dive, etc to assure a first.

These scenarios are the most ideal to be gifted as you can do that on 3rd. You’ve given your offense the shot to run a play action or go for a long pass. Those are often the big play downs.

This is a huge issue that Brady is not correcting. He’s looking within each 4 down window and not the bigger picture. A huge problem in my opinion he needs to correct.

• Pie 5

think it is just opting for the conservative play to move the sticks and not wanting to put the ball in Sam’s hand for what is generally an aggressive play opportunity (he has been turning it over too much of late and making poor decisions).  

Brady in that weird space where he is damned if he does and damned if he don’t now. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

think it is just opting for the conservative play to move the sticks and not wanting to put the ball in Sam’s hand for what is generally an aggressive play opportunity (he has been turning it over too much of late and making poor decisions).  

Brady in that weird space where he is damned if he does and damned if he don’t now. 

Yeah opting for the first down is what I’m saying is the issue. You’re eliminating the chance for a misdirect, pa bomb, etc. 

You just don’t see that type of calls looking around the league. It’s more than just being conservative, he’s thinking within each 4 down series and not the sequence/rhythm of the drive

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Yeah opting for the first down is what I’m saying is the issue. You’re eliminating the chance for a misdirect, pa bomb, etc. 

You just don’t see that type of calls looking around the league. It’s more than just being conservative, he’s thinking within each 4 down series and not the sequence/rhythm of the drive

and given the decision making of Sam and all the turnovers of late…is it actually a good call to ask Sam to take shots right now? 

It’s why Brady get screwed.  He put it Sam’s hand and he turns it over and everyone asks why we didn’t just run the ball and take it out of his hands. 

Agree you don’t see it a lot but most teams aren’t starting the worst QB in the NFL. 

35 minutes ago, davos said:

Something that’s been happening all season and already 4 times today is getting a 2nd and 2 (or less)

We keep going fast sneaking Sam, running a dive, etc to assure a first.

These scenarios are the most ideal to be gifted as you can do that on 3rd. You’ve given your offense the shot to run a play action or go for a long pass. Those are often the big play downs.

This is a huge issue that Brady is not correcting. He’s looking within each 4 down window and not the bigger picture. A huge problem in my opinion he needs to correct.

He’s opting for that because Sam is horrible and we need first downs to keep the defense fresh. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

and given the decision making of Sam and all the turnovers of late…is it actually a good call to ask Sam to take shots right now? 

It’s why Brady get screwed.  He put it Sam’s hand and he turns it over and everyone asks why we didn’t just run the ball and take it out of his hands. 

Agree you don’t see it a lot but most teams aren’t starting the worst QB in the NFL. 

I don’t know what Brady has done in the NFL to warrant the charitable kiddie gloves from you and others. Basically any questionable play call is a product of his crappy quarterback so he’s virtually immune from criticism. The irony is that it’s the same logic people use who say Darnold is absolved of criticism because of his crappy o-line, which you vehemently argue against.  For the record, I’m opposed to both of those silly arguments and think there’s plenty of blame to go around in this offense.

• Beer 1

I disagree.  I think it's great scheming.  What they're doing is forcing the Falcons to focus on that potentiality on 2nd and short.  Which opens up other options as soon as they go back to being more regular on play calling.  Doing this early makes the Falcons have to adjust and opens up options on play calling.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

Like of all the weeks to get after Brady, this is the one people jump for getting us into short yardage situations?

For once I'm happy we are actually sticking to the run, as that's pretty much all we have. I have hated all the TE but today they are blocking and making things easier in shorter yardage ranges. 

Its not sexy football so people are griping.

• Beer 1

Just now, chbright said:

Like of all the weeks to get after Brady, this is the one people jump for getting us into short yardage situations?

For once I'm happy we are actually sticking to the run, as that's pretty much all we have. I have hated all the TE but today they are blocking and making things easier in shorter yardage ranges. 

Its not sexy football so people are griping.

That’s not my point. It’s not commitment to the run, it’s situational playcalling and not taking advantage of opportunities. 

We still manage to call long PAs with Darnold on 1st and 3rd but we’re trying to secure first downs instead of calling plays with some finesse.

Just now, davos said:

That’s not my point. It’s not commitment to the run, it’s situational playcalling and not taking advantage of opportunities. 

We still manage to call long PAs with Darnold on 1st and 3rd but we’re trying to secure first downs instead of calling plays with some finesse.

Yeah and that's something we have struggled with, getting first downs. Leads to gasses defense at the end. So I'll take this methodical no frills play calling.