• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Exactly what is “the brand”?

therealmjl

Just now, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Has this franchise ever had a brand? And if so, why has it been tweaked with every new coach? There should have been a brand from day one. If Rhule and Tepper have a brand in mind, it better stick around otherwise it's more of the same for this sad little franchise.

From 2013-2015 we had a decent brand. It was "hey cam do everything and this defense will bend and not break keep pounding"

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I didn't expect we'd be regressing to the point that we have, but here we are.

Have we?? You do realize we only won 5 games last year.. We got 5 wins with 6 games left..

This defense alone went from bottom 10 to top 5.. Is that regression?? Really??

14 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Have we?? You do realize we only won 5 games last year.. We got 5 wins with 6 games left..

We have literally no direction at the QB position....in fact, we circled back on a guy that Rhule and co sent packing. 

Our OL is still in shambles. 

The coaching staff is still making the same boneheaded decisions and personnel mistakes they were last year.

And that top defense you speak of is all smoke and mirrors when a running team comes to play.

So yeah, given the lack of overall improvement and no clear direction - I think it's safe to say we are spinning in place and the "rebuild" is on hold. 

• Beer 2

18 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

The problem is Rhule is all over the place. We kept hearing about a 6 year process to rebuild and preaching patience before the first year. Then they go out and pick up Teddy, and trade for Darnold because they are wanting a quicker turnaround. They trade away draft picks for Darnold and pass over Fields and Jones. They then trade for Gilmore after starting 3-0 and start talking about the playoffs. These are all signs of a “win now” team. If he had drafted a QB in the previous two drafts and possibly acquired more draft capital vs trading it away, I would be much more satisfied watching a young signal caller develop as the team gets better. Even bringing in Cam (which I’m glad we did) is a win now move. So the rebuild argument is starting to make less sense to me.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

We have literally no direction at the QB position....in fact, we circled back on a guy that Rhule and co sent packing. 

Our OL is still in shambles. 

The coaching staff is still making the same boneheaded decisions and personnel mistakes they were last year.

And that top defense you speak of is all smoke and mirrors when a running team comes to play.

So yeah, given the lack of overall improvement and no clear direction - I think it's safe to say we are spinning in place and the "rebuild" is on hold. 

You name 1 position and call the whole thing a regression that's fair...

But let's look at this thing in Reality...

2020 pamdiec season..

The defense is gone.. No Luke, No TD, No Irving, No healthy DT on the roster, No Secondary other then a often injured DJax...

Qb position was a mystery because Cam hasn't been healthy since 2018...

Oline sucked just as much back then...

Wr corp was Cmac and DJ.. No Robby, no Marshall,  No Zystra, No Smith

GREG IS GONE..

The Roster only had DJ, Cmac, Burns, Shaq, and Donte to build from..

Compare that to the roster now?? 

Regression what??

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The problem is Rhule is all over the place. We kept hearing about a 6 year process to rebuild and preaching patience before the first year. Then they go out and pick up Teddy, and trade for Darnold because they are wanting a quicker turnaround. They trade away draft picks for Darnold and pass over Fields and Jones. They then trade for Gilmore after starting 3-0 and start talking about the playoffs. These are all signs of a “win now” team. If he had drafted a QB in the previous two drafts and possibly acquired more draft capital vs trading it away, I would be much more satisfied watching a young signal caller develop as the team gets better. Even bringing in Cam (which I’m glad we did) is a win now move. So the rebuild argument is starting to make less sense to me.

Simple the defense improves faster then anybody expected and they made mistakes at QB.. But it's still not a regression if they win more games then the year before and other then Qb, and Oline most of the team has improved from the year before...

6 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Simple the defense improves faster then anybody expected and they made mistakes at QB.. But it's still not a regression if they win more games then the year before and other then Qb, and Oline most of the team has improved from the year before...

Faster than anyone expected? They spent an entire draft on it and signed FAs like Reddick, and Jones to one year deals to fill in what few missing pieces were left (sounds pretty “win now” to me). So we have Horn 1st rounder, Chinn 2nd, DJax 2nd, Brown 1st, Shaq 1st, Burns 1st, YGM 2nd, then proceed to sign Jones (solid vet), Reddick (great vet), to one year deals and Bouye (solid vet) to a two year deal. Of course they are going to be great and then we go and trade for Henderson and Gilmore? They are still weak against the run because they are designed for speed. All of this while ignoring the offensive line and banking on Darnold. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Faster than anyone expected? They spent an entire draft on it and signed FAs like Reddick, and Jones to one year deals to fill in what few missing pieces were left (sounds pretty “win now” to me). So we have Horn 1st rounder, Chinn 2nd, DJax 2nd, Brown 1st, Shaq 1st, Burns 1st, YGM 2nd, then proceed to sign Jones (solid vet), Reddick (great vet), to one year deals and Bouye (solid vet) to a two year deal. Of course they are going to be great and then we go and trade for Henderson and Gilmore? They are still weak against the run because they are designed for speed. All of this while ignoring the offensive line and banking on Darnold. 

So wait where is the thread.. Where you posted that this would be the 2nd ranked defense in the league?. Don’t worry I’ll wait..

I want to see that you knew a bunch of 1st 2nd year players and FA.. Would jell this quickly and play to a top 5 level…

Edited by WOW!!

And this ignoring the oline narrative needs to stop… They brought in 6 new Linemen (2 rookies, 4 vets) resigned their best Olinemen and the guard who play the best last year..

they didn’t ignore the position they just didn’t draft or sign the players you wanted them to…

Edited by WOW!!

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

So wait where is the thread.. Where you posted that this would be the 2nd ranked defense in the league?. Don’t worry I’ll wait..

I want to see that you knew a bunch of 1st 2nd year players and FA.. Would jell this quickly and play to a top 5 level…

We clearly aren’t the second best defense in the league. We had a nice first half schedule, but teams like the Cowboys and now WFT with solid lines can power right through us, and average team like the Vikings lite us up. We are talented enough to dominate bad teams, but struggle against good ones. When we get into the tougher part of our schedule our ranking with drop down some notches. We have talent and a good defense, but not elite yet. When our staff was “surprised” by how quickly our defense progressed we were 3-0 against Wilson, Winston, and Mills. 2 rookies making their first starts and Winston missing half his staff from Covid (which was still probably our most impressive performance defensively). 

The brand can be summed up as “below average”.

Rivera’s (9-18) and Rhule’s (10-17) records are nearly identical through 27 games. Couple that with the fact that Rivera won his last four games of his second season and it’s easy to see that Rhule could very well have a worse record than Rivera two years into their coaching careers.

Congrats to Rhule and Rivera for “building the roster”, but while we take three to five years to build a team that has to be torn down following one Super Bowl visit, the Patriots are headed back to the playoffs after a one year hiatus with Mac fugging Jones.