• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Streaming sports on Electronic devices vs a TV subscription

Stuart Smith

Sports on TV Vs Streaming on Tablet is something I am considering. I only watch ESPN for select ball games, but hate to eliminate it completely. I wonder if anyone has tried streaming sports on electronic devices without a tv subscription. Is it worth saving about $100 a month to watch sports on a tablet vs a tv? Thanks for any input. 

35 minutes ago, Moose Hoover said:

how is your stream? is it a good strong healthy flow?

Yes, pretty good. I am streaming “Direct Now” which is $100 a month and increasing in Jan. The only time I watch ESPN is for live sporting event, I don’t watch the commentators. I have an antenna that gives me local channels and I have Netflix and Prime. It just seems overkill to pay Direct TV over $100 dollars a month for a few ball games. The best bet may be to find the cheapest streaming service that has ESPN. I “cut the cord” several years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the cord back in September/October and it was terrifying.  I've always had cable.  It doesn't seem so bad now, and I laugh at how skeptical I was about it.  I mean, if it didn't work out I could just order cable again.  

But I wouldn't call it TV vs tablet.  Whatever you are streaming on your tablet can be streamed to your TV.  Its important to be honest with yourself about what you actually watch.  That will help you choose the right streaming service for you or piece together the right services for your needs.  ESPN for instance seemed like a "must have" for me, but when I really thought about it...I mainly just use it as background noise when I don't feel like finding something to watch.  And if a football game is on, I get to stream it for free thru my Verizon account.  I am not saying that is the case for you...but you may find a few other channels are like that for you.

• Pie 1

On 12/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, Stuart Smith said:

Sports on TV Vs Streaming on Tablet is something I am considering. I only watch ESPN for select ball games, but hate to eliminate it completely. I wonder if anyone has tried streaming sports on electronic devices without a tv subscription. Is it worth saving about $100 a month to watch sports on a tablet vs a tv? Thanks for any input. 

You can get sling tv for 35 bucks if you just want ESPN.  Roku stick is like $30 one time purchase.  Simple

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

13 hours ago, Shocker said:

You can get sling tv for 35 bucks if you just want ESPN.  Roku stick is like $30 one time purchase.  Simple

Back in September/October I got a free streaming device for prepaying for 2 months of service.  It looks like they have a similar deal still, with only a 1 month prepay commitment to get a Google Chromecast.

image.png.f5ad87e66ada75fa3297bb62616923d6.png

• Pie 2