• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Look Here's The Smart Play

Catsfan69

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

How many games have DJax and Gilmore played over the past few years? Can we roll out with Henderson, Horn, Taylor and save that $$$ if we are rebuilding anyway?  Yes.  With Thomas Oliver and Pride behind them, we could get by for a season with all first-contract CBs.  If you consider Hartsfield as the Nickel, I think Bouye, Gilmore, and Jax--all wounded warriors--are expensive to keep.

I mean maybe. 

I don't think we are that far away if we had a competent staff.

4 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I mean maybe. 

I don't think we are that far away if we had a competent staff.

I see your point, but Gilmore is 32 or so and will be done by the time we get good, and DJax has spent more time on IR than on the active roster. 

Agree with you about the staff--but there is going to be an overhaul when we get a new coach in here--so I don't know. 

I would trade Burns and CMC right now--but not to give Rhule leverage in the draft.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I don't think CJ will ever be as good as Djax. I think CJ has a heart problem.

Yes we are rebuilding in the Superbowl in 4 years way.

I don't think DJax is that good of a DB to overpay.  Outside of half a season....he has been pretty pedistrian IMO.  Let Horn and CJ be your guys and keep adding new and young talent at DB.  Not saying CJ has to be the corner in 4 years.  

DJax to me doesn't fit the rebuild mindset.  He is like a Robby Anderson.  Don't overpay okay guys.  It's not hard to find a DJax caliber DB.  

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

And about QB---if you do not have a QB, you are developing one.  You don't just ignore the position for a season with the hope of drafting one.  We will make a move for a QB of some sort--beyond bringing Cam back to play wildcat QB

Yeah rolling with Sam again is just throwing away a season. Drafting one next year will still probably need a year to develop (so 3 years away from making any noise). I’m ok with a Mariotta (been mentioned a few times) coming in to compete with Sam and Cam as our jumbo package/3rd string providing we draft and sign OL like there is no tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

At best we're a QB and a couple of OL away. 

Unfortunately, that's the best case scenario and franchise QB is by far the hardest roster hole to fill.

If BC is actually legit we can sign a G like Schreff in FA and grab another in the 4th/5th to compete with Brown. Then the question is do we draft a QB in the top 10 or not? If and it’s a huge IF we land the right one, this would make for a quicker turnaround. Maybe 2 years? It’s a lot of “ifs” and if Rhule is still here, he will ruin all of it…

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If BC is actually legit we can sign a G like Schreff in FA and grab another in the 4th/5th to compete with Brown. Then the question is do we draft a QB in the top 10 or not? If and it’s a huge IF we land the right one, this would make for a quicker turnaround. Maybe 2 years? It’s a lot of “ifs” and if Rhule is still here, he will ruin all of it…

I mean, it's possible. But yes, the first step is poo canning Fatt Rhule and company. That's something that virtually everyone can agree on.

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I see your point, but Gilmore is 32 or so and will be done by the time we get good, and DJax has spent more time on IR than on the active roster. 

Agree with you about the staff--but there is going to be an overhaul when we get a new coach in here--so I don't know. 

I would trade Burns and CMC right now--but not to give Rhule leverage in the draft.

I just think Cmac is too important to any QB we have. 

Be it young guy, Sam, Cam or any vet.

His pass blocking, football knowledge that combine with what he can do with the ball makes him a key piece for me.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah rolling with Sam again is just throwing away a season. Drafting one next year will still probably need a year to develop (so 3 years away from making any noise). I’m ok with a Mariotta (been mentioned a few times) coming in to compete with Sam and Cam as our jumbo package/3rd string providing we draft and sign OL like there is no tomorrow. 

Mariota and Trubiski are free agents, which means they would cost us nothing in terms of draft capital or players in a trade.  I still think we will pursue Watson, and we could go after Garappalo--but both will cost a lot.  On the other hand, we could refrain from re-signing expensive veteran CBs, roll with CJ, Horn, Taylor, etc. and sign linemen.  Trade back (if we can) in the draft and add a second rounder.  Draft a LT (that kid from NC State is my favorite LT candidate right now because he is a manchild and has so much upside) and maybe a QB.

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't think DJax is that good of a DB to overpay.  Outside of half a season....he has been pretty pedistrian IMO.  Let Horn and CJ be your guys and keep adding new and young talent at DB.  Not saying CJ has to be the corner in 4 years.  

DJax to me doesn't fit the rebuild mindset.  He is like a Robby Anderson.  Don't overpay okay guys.  It's not hard to find a DJax caliber DB.  

Fair enough and I was thinking a middle of the road type contract for Djax. Nothing crazy.

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I just think Cmac is too important to any QB we have. 

Be it young guy, Sam, Cam or any vet.

His pass blocking, football knowledge that combine with what he can do with the ball makes him a key piece for me.

Good thread--makes people think. 

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don't mind bringing in competition. 

I also don't mind a reasonable FA. But only a FA that is top 12 talent wise without top 12 contact.

Russell, Watson Rogers cripple you cap wise.

That's why I think we have no choice.