• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1/27 Game Thread: Canes @ Ottawa Senators 7PM Puck Drop

Anybodyhome

Would like to see the 3rd and 4th line play out of their minds tonite and put some points on the board. Staal has been grinding it out night after night and, although his point production doesn't show it, he's been working hard. Stepan is also nearing the end of his career and I'd be very pleased to see him get his 500th point in the next few games. Nino's last 2 games have been great, don't know what happened, but he's a different player right now. Lorentz has been doing a lot of the dirty work deep along the boards lately and KK belongs in the middle of that line. His net front is always a threat.

-----------------------------

Keep The Momentum Going: Tuesday night the team pulled out a big victory against the Pacific Division leaders, despite letting their two-goal advantage slip in the game's final seven minutes. Sebastian Aho recorded the overtime winner, a new franchise-best seventh, and Frederik Andersen made 26 stops for his 22nd victory of he season.

So Hot, Svech: Andrei Svechnikov enters tonight game recording two points in each of his last five games played. Because of the stretch he's upped his season total to 36 points in 36 games, which ranks only behind Aho on the team.

DeAngelo's Run: Along with Svech, defenseman Tony DeAngelo also has points in five straight games. The blueliner is now over a point per game, totaling 33 points in 32 contests this season.

Get It Back: When the two sides met in the beginning of December, goaltender (and former Hurricane) Anton Forsberg stole the show, making a remarkable 47 stops for Ottawa. He was the deciding factor in why his team won that game, despite Carolina's 49 shots. The Canes will undoubtedly want to get that one back when they go head-to-head tonight.

Additional Notes:

Milestone Watch: Derek Stepan is three points shy of 500 for his NHL career.

What Color Are We Wearing?: The team will be wearing their white sweaters tonight.

Hurricanes Next Home Game: Saturday, January 29 vs. New Jersey - Whalers Night

Forwards:

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Trocheck - Necas

Niederreiter - Staal - Fast

Lorentz - Kotkaniemi - Stepan

Defensemen:

Slavin - DeAngelo

Skjei - Pesce

Cole - Bear

Starting Goalie:

Andersen

• Pie 2

Kinda surprised we are going Andersen tonight. Figured we would have saved him for Saturday. I guess that means Raanta will probably be taking the devils.

Is Martinook still in protocol? Stepan has quietly been having a very productive season offensively. I wouldn’t think we’ll have to wait much longer for 3 goals. 

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Martinook is out of protocol and skated Tuesday morning before the Vegas game. He's ready to go, but Canada has a 14-day rule that kept him home.

Right. Good point. Completely blanked on that. I’m surprised they let us go up for even a game, I was figuring around Christmas they’d change the schedule so there wouldn’t be any border bouncing, but I guess since it’s only one up and straight back to the states. 

He looked good when he came off injury before Covid. But Stepan is a hot hand right now. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Darkseid89 said:

That was soft as hell…….

TDA deflected that, otherwise Freddie was waiting for it.

They look really disjointed. Start up the ice and fall apart at the blue line. Entries are bad, but they're keeping it in Ottawa's zone.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2