• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How dangerous is Willis as a runner? What makes him special?

micnificent28

This bit of info from Peter King's latest column is relevant to the topic...

I think, not to pick on Malik Willis, but as a Liberty quarterback, he played two top-25 teams in two seasons—Coastal Carolina (2020) and Mississppi (2021). He beat Coastal Carolina, rushing for four touchdowns, and lost to Ole Miss. Notable numbers in those games: zero passing TDs, five interceptions. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think, not to pick on Malik Willis, but as a Liberty quarterback, he played two top-25 teams in two seasons—Coastal Carolina (2020) and Mississppi (2021). He beat Coastal Carolina, rushing for four touchdowns, and lost to Ole Miss. Notable numbers in those games: zero passing TDs, five interceptions. 

He looked putrid vs ncsu as well.   Kid maybe a good athlete, and that is even debatable but he has a long long way to go in being a starting nfl qb.  

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He looked putrid vs ncsu as well.   Kid maybe a good athlete, and that is even debatable but he has a long long way to go in being a starting nfl qb.  

This is my issue with him as well.  Probably a good kid, and a great athlete...but that doesn't make a good to great NFL QB.

If we go with him, it will shock me.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean clearly vs Ranked sec old Miss that team looked overmatched as a whole. Drawing to conclusion about a guy based on that one scenario could lead to a flawed perspective. If we look at his entire career. He  rarely turns the ball over. And even tho over matched against d1 programs virgina tech and Syracuse he never lost to either one and was successful in the bow victories. 

I think it's safe to conclude if you look at his history vs that one game he thre multiple picks he was forced to try to make something happen while running for his life. You could probably find one game with any quarterbacks college career where they have 0-4 to ratio. But that's not what you look at to say he can't play quarterback.

Screenshot_20220411-122343_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-122215_Chrome.jpg

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean clearly vs Ranked sec old Miss that team looked overmatched as a whole. Drawing to conclusion about a guy based on that one scenario could lead to a flawed perspective. If we look at his entire career. He  rarely turns the ball over. And even tho over matched against d1 programs virgina tech and Syracuse he never lost to either one and was successful in the bow victories. 

I think it's safe to conclude if you look at his history vs that one game he thre multiple picks he was forced to try to make something happen while running for his life. You could probably find one game with any quarterbacks college career where they have 0-4 to ratio. But that's not what you look at to say he can't play quarterback.

Screenshot_20220411-122343_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-122215_Chrome.jpg

Armanti Edwards had a much more impressive resume and wound up just being a long term Canadian League Reciever. 

13 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

I for the life of me can't understand the resistance to the idea that the game is changing. As it has been in motion for years. Colleges are producing less pure pocket passers. Colleges for the majority do less under center work and primarily operated out of the gun. We are seeing that reflected in the pros as well.

The gun allows for the qb to see the rush coming better and take advantage of a qbs mobility. The rpo read option offense is the evolution of that. Not saying teams are doing that 100% but since a lot of quarterbacks did that in college smart coordinators in the NFL are adapting to what there qbs already did well with success.

The reason colleges do it is because it's easier to find people who can run that well in college where recievers are wide open and DBs not as good.

But it doesn't transition well to the NFL.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Fine but you are quite literally ignoring that the NFL examples referenced don't have major accuracy issues. 

Running QB's that can't hit the broadside of a barn(The Golden Calf of Bristol for example) don't survive long in the NFL.

No what these guys and unfortunately you old and wise one are missing is that there are running QBs and QBs who can run. They are two different things.

Calf, Hill , Vick, Cunningham, Stewart are running QBs that can't throw.

Cam Lamar Farve are QBs that can kinda throw.

Mahomes Staubach Young are QBs that can run.

Edited by Catsfan69

24 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Armanti Edwards had a much more impressive resume and wound up just being a long term Canadian League Reciever. 

Armanti Edwards doesn't compare to Willis really other than being black. He didn't have the arm.. he didn't have the 230 build. He wasn't nearly as good a runner as Willis who broke more tackles at qb than anyone. Looking at how high Willis scored on the wonderlic, I dout he was as smart either.

I think people see a great athlete and immediately assume he can't throw, he's inaccurate and not smart enough to read nfl defenses. That isn't Willis, stop with the idea all athletic qbs can't throw, that's as bad as saying all FSU defense ends are Everett brown. Until Brian burns came along and proved otherwise.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

The reason colleges do it is because it's easier to find people who can run that well in college where recievers are wide open and DBs not as good.

But it doesn't transition well to the NFL.

Which is why every single athletic qb isn't projected to be  first round number 1qb. Obviously Willis is the exception and not the standard-I can't throw so move me to wr like armanti Edward's. All athletic qbs are not the same guy. We have seen that. Kyler and Lamar most recently have proven that.

Even with a Lamar jackson a lot of senior guys were crying he should play another position wr or hb. How many are saying that about Willis? Zero. Why because, he obviously has the traits to succeed at the quarterback position. 

Edited by micnificent28

4 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Armanti Edwards doesn't compare to Willis really other than being black. He didn't have the arm.. he didn't have the 230 build. He wasn't nearly as good a runner as Willis who broke more tackles at qb than anyone. Looking at how high Willis scored on the wonderlic, I dout he was as smart either.

I think people see a great athlete and immediately assume he can't throw, he's inaccurate and not smart enough to read nfl defenses. That isn't Willis, stop with the idea all athletic qbs can't throw, that's as bad as saying all FSU defense ends are Everett brown. Until Brian burns came along and proved otherwise.

Come on you just aren't being honest. 

Edwards ran for 313 yds 4 tds and threw for 190 and 3 tds in the national semifinal.

He completely dominated teams. Willis doesn't dominate anyone. Never won a championship heck did he even do much in the playoffs?

You're right they aren't the same player. One completely dominated in college and the other just kinda did ok.

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Lol Burns hasn't proved anything other than he misses the QB more than any defender in history.

I mean if you want to label him most valuable bumper car I can see it.

It's a line drawn in the sand that people put wherever they want to put them ... often to support whatever narrative they are trying "discretely" to push.

People thought that Cam was a running QB and that he wouldn't transition into the NFL or that he would have to sit behind some vet for a year.

The job of a QB is to get his team down the field and into the endzone. Doesn't matter how he does it as long as he can. Obviously, the more ways you can accomplish it, the better. If you are leaning towards any one way, you better be good at it. The game is evolving, though, and being able to run is much more of a requirement than ever before.

The key to success for any of them is the same for all, use what they bring to the table wisely. Be smart with it. Know how to be effective using the tools they bring and build around it and work to help them develop, giving them more tools to work with.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

Come on you just aren't being honest. 

Edwards ran for 313 yds 4 tds and threw for 190 and 3 tds in the national semifinal.

He completely dominated teams. Willis doesn't dominate anyone. Never won a championship heck did he even do much in the playoffs?

You're right they aren't the same player. One completely dominated in college and the other just kinda did ok.

Hell Pat White dominated... that doesn't mean you have  the arm talent to consistently win at the next level. Edward didn't even get at shot at. Playing QB and didn't even try..why because he just didn't have it. Again comparing Armanti Edwards to Willis is a insult. It's like saying all black running quarterbacks are the same and can't throw so move him to another position. Stop it.

3 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Lol Burns hasn't proved anything other than he misses the QB more than any defender in history.

I mean if you want to label him most valuable bumper car I can see it.

He's had 2 9 sack seasons and has proven to be a pass rush threat. He's made the pro bowl? Maybe we need more bumper cars?