• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers should take a QB (article)

Growl

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Allen’s game tape wasn’t good. Willis has plenty of physical talent. It’s easy to sit back and judge these QBs AFTER they have become successful, but they all had some red flags just landed in good spots (Watson excluded). This class does look weaker than normal, but guaranteeing we will get a top 5 pick to draft a flawless prospect is a bit of a reach IMO. I’d be happy with a top LT as they are hard to come by and this class seems deep there, but that should make us better than last year.

So what QB in this draft is 6'5 240lb can run like Cam with a top 3 arm..

Because that was Allen.. I like Wills but he's 5 to 6 inches shorter 25 pounds lighter and never had a statistical season like Allen sophomore year in Wyoming... There is your difference..

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

And Hes 37 years old by the start of the season..  Do you not see correlation here??

do you not remember the genesis point of this entire discussion?

i am not looking for a “ten year” player at that spot because there’s no added value in having it. I would gladly take a one or two year rental at that position, over and over, indefinitely, because the impact it has on my squad would be the same. There’s no such thing as a “franchise” left tackle because there’s no added value in having the same face there.

5 minutes ago, Growl said:

*fast forward*

Willis and Corral were in contention for Top 5 picks when they came out, do your research! Need to lock down that right side! Only a few more tackles away from glory!”

tradition at this point

They were then they played and 1 consistently dealt with injuries and the other played in a Mickey mouse system in college and wasn't statistically good vs better competition... 

Edited by WOW!!

1 minute ago, Growl said:

i am not looking for a “ten year” player at that spot because there’s no added value in having it. I would gladly take a one or two year rental at that position, over and over, indefinitely, because the impact it has on my squad would be the same. There’s no such thing as a “franchise” left tackle because there’s no added value in having the same face there.

Genies point is constantly signed stop gap LT when you can barely name good 1 available every year... okay got it..

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

There absolutely is value in having a good LT, and you typically only get those by drafting them.  They don't hit free agency until they are washed.

Sure the team won't go anywhere until we have a QB, but LT is an important position.  Just because LT can't carry the team by itself doesn't mean it's not valuable.  The Chiefs lost the Super Bowl largely because their LT was hot garbage.

If the argument you're making is drafting a tackle will force a trade for Jimmy G/Baker and ultimately be worse I can see where you're coming from.  But saying LT is a replacement level type position without anything to back it up other than the Browns is questionable.

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Genies point is constantly signed stop gap LT when you can barely name good 1 available every year... okay got it..

I’ve already named multiple, if two to three guys can reliably be found as capable veterans each offseason then I’m probably never drafting a tackle ever again.

Edited by Growl

1 minute ago, Growl said:

I’ve already named multiple, if two to three guys can reliably be found as capable veterans each offseason then I’m probably never drafting a tackle ever again.

You have not!! 

Who were the top 2 LT available in FA from 2015 to 2022??

Prove your point.. I'm only asking for 2 starting quality LT from FA the last 7 years..

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

So what QB in this draft is 6'5 240lb can run like Cam with a top 3 arm..

Because that was Allen.. I like Wills but he's 5 to 6 inches shorter 25 pounds lighter and never had a statistical season like Allen sophomore year in Wyoming... There is your difference..

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/patrick-mahomes/32004d41-4840-1939-e4c1-bb89191b4e71

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-pickett/32005049-4377-7233-6101-772adaebe15c

NFL.com has Pickett scored higher than it did Mahomes. I’m not saying these guys weren’t as polished as you think. They turned out great, but teams took a risk and developed them properly. That’s what you need to do when you aren’t picking in the top 3. 

Sophomore season 56% 28 TDs 15 INTs 144.9 rating

Willis this year 61.1% 27 TDs 12 INTs 152.1 rating 

(Allen did have 350 more yards) 

-that’s just looking at passing to keep it fair. Willis crushed him running the ball. 

Just now, WOW!! said:

You have not!! 

Who were the top 2 LT available in FA from 2015 to 2022??

Prove your point.. I'm only asking for 2 starting quality LT from FA the last 7 years..

okay andrew whitworth (twice technically) and cameron Fleming literally just off the top of my head

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/patrick-mahomes/32004d41-4840-1939-e4c1-bb89191b4e71

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-pickett/32005049-4377-7233-6101-772adaebe15c

NFL.com has Pickett scored higher than it did Mahomes. I’m not saying these guys weren’t as polished as you think. They turned out great, but teams took a risk and developed them properly. That’s what you need to do when you aren’t picking in the top 3. 

Sophomore season 56% 28 TDs 15 INTs 144.9 rating

Willis this year 61.1% 27 TDs 12 INTs 152.1 rating 

(Allen did have 350 more yards) 

-that’s just looking at passing to keep it fair. Willis crushed him running the ball. 

Again I asked which 1 of these guys comes In with the 6'5 240 pound frame and top 3 QB arm in the league??

This is why he was worth the risk and considered a better Prospect then any QB in this draft??

Edited by WOW!!

Tank for Howell! Tank for Trevor! 

it’s all the same. Just keep throwing darts at qbs until you land a true franchise otherwise we’re gonna be stuck either sucking or being average until we’re all dead.

Mahomes and Allen were raw as all get out prospects and teams traded first round picks for them. If we have an opportunity to take Malik at 6 they need to do it.

I can see a scenario where all the tackles are gone and Malik is left sitting there at 6 and we take a fuging edge rusher because this franchise is dumb as fug.

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

okay andrew whitworth (twice technically) and cameron Fleming literally just off the top of my head

I said 2 every years for the last 7 years..

For your plan to work there must be a "vast" pool of a aviavble avg LT on the market for us to signed every year.. Because the guys you're looking at are either old (contemplating retirement every offseason) or injury concerns..

So make your plan work find this waterfall of Good LT always available in FA??

Edited by WOW!!

At some point you have to sack up and try

this team hasn’t made a single attempt to replace cam Newton, they’ve drawn it out playing games deluding themselves waiting for the perfect storm to come along and pass down the perfect QB prospect at the bottom of the top 10

it isn’t going to happen.

be a man Dave 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I said 2 every years for the last 7 years..

For your plan to work there must be a "vast" pool of a aviavble avg LT on the market for us to signed every year.. Because the guys you're looking at are either old (contemplating retirement every offseason) or injury concerns..

So make your plan work find this waterfall of Good LT always available in FA??

I’m not combing through 8 different free agent pools for you lol, you asked for two I gave you two