• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 2022 Quarterback Slide

Mr. Scot

I think we're seeing a general shift in front offices' pholosophies. Right or not, there's a big push to prioritize a transcendent star qb above all else. The idea of a solid starter/game manager headlining a complete team has been devalued. Look no further than San Francisco's trade of 3 1sts for the opportunity to draft Trey Lance, Cleveland throwing historic guaranteed money and a bajillion premium picks to get Watson, or Denver giving up a bunch of picks including a top 10 of their own that could've gone towards a qb, to take Russell Wilson.

When it boils down to it, most overwhelmingly felt like the chance one of this year's qb class making the leap to stardom was quite low. And if that's the case, why invest a premium pick? Wide receivers are going for $25 million per year and the hit rate for a wr in rounds 1-2 of at least turning into a decent starter is far greater than a qb. Doesnt make much sense to sacrifice a premium draft pick to roll the dice on a qb prospect when the consensus seems to be Baker Mayfield, who can likely be had for peanuts right now, might be their realistic ceiling. Meanwhile in the 3rd or later, where any draft pick is 50/50 at best to become a meaningful starter, the 5-10% chance that rookie qb prospect might play to a high level suddenly becomes a reasonable gamble. 

I think one reason for the slide this year, was most of the QB needy teams took one last year, and aren’t ready to move on. 

Jags, Jets, 49ers, Bears, Patriots, Texans

And the Bucs and Vikings took dudes on the second day to develop. 

That’s a lot of teams investing in potential future QB’s already. 

22 hours ago, Tbe said:

2. Not a ton of teams were going to take one of these guys so once we passed and the Steelers passed in round #1, everyone just decided to wait.

I thought about this too. I think teams were more than willing to take 1 or 2 of these QBs earlier than they did when it became clear that they didn't have to. This draft was unique in that teams weren't forced to pick a QB too early and so they didn't. If we went QB at 6 then I think the other QBs would have went earlier than they did. It's the domino effect.