• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben McAdoo Presser

Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Mike Shula didn't do the play calling in NY.

Mike Shula was the OC.  A really weak OC.  Which is why I noted him.   Everyone here knows how bad he is. And you missed or ignored the point being made. 

Eli had good individual numbers that late in his career (some career highs) because of the healthy weapons that existed that season.  Not so much the coaches.  OC or HC.  

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Mike Shula was the OC.  A really weak OC.  Which is why I noted him.   Everyone here knows how bad he is. And you missed or ignored the point being made. 

Eli had good individual numbers that late in his career (some career highs) because of the healthy weapons that existed that season.  Not so much the coaches.  OC or HC.  

He was the OC, but he didn't do the play calling.

9 minutes ago, poundaway said:

He was the OC, but he didn't do the play calling.

Yeah.  I called him the OC.   Did I say he called the plays? 

the point, again, was Eli posted those strong individual numbers because he was a good QB…and that happened to be a season where he had very good weapons that where healthy. 

that’s the greatest reason for Eli’s individual success.  Not the OC or HC with the play sheet.   Same concept of why Eli got a bump in his numbers from 13 to 14.  Eli acquired a crazy weapon in OBJ.  Eli was a good QB pre and post McAdoo.    You keep wanting to pin it all on McAdoo.  Eli getting OBJ is the greater variable. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah the way I see it, McAdoo was the best we could do all things considered. Pep Hamilton wouldn’t even interview with us. McAdoo brings some successful experience to our staff. Campen, Wilks, and McAdoo appear to be upgrades and hopefully Rhule will listen to their advise. 

Yeah the few guys that openly turned us down was a big sign of how dysfunctional and unstable this situation in Carolina is. 

We just have to hope it's relatively isolated to Rhule and doesn't extend to the whole organization.

If we don't see big improvements from the game planning and execution this season, then these new hires were ultimately a failure. Although the bulk of that blame will likely rest on Rhule's shoulders.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah.  I called him the OC.   Did I say he called the plays? 

the point, again, was Eli posted those strong individual numbers because he was a good QB…and that happened to be a season where he had very good weapons that where healthy. 

that’s the greatest reason for Eli’s individual success.  Not the OC or HC with the play sheet.   Same concept of why Eli got a bump in his numbers from 13 to 14.  Eli acquired a crazy weapon in OBJ.  Eli was a good QB pre and post McAdoo.    You keep wanting to pin it all on McAdoo.  Eli getting OBJ is the greater variable. 

Since we're just repeating ourselves in a loop.....

Mcadoo took the 28th-highest-scoring offense in 2013  to 13th in 2014. In 2015, they  became the 6th.  In 2016, his first year as HC they went 11-5 and went to the playoffs. 

OBJ and a bunch of other guys got injured in 2017, and they royally sucked when they were expected for a deep playoff run.  Eli was benched for Geno, snapping Eli's  record for consecutive games, and there was talk of Eli leaving.  After that, they fired Mac  going 2-10 that year.

Mac has been a very successful OC, something Brady NEVER was.   Most of the HC heat was losing games and benching a beloved QB.   The "being too predictable" thing was last year's Panthers entire offensive playbook.  Robbie and multiple opposing CB's literally said it out loud. 

BTW the Giants haven't been to the post season since McAdoo was coach, even though you try to draw some rosy NY picture post McAdoo.

We get it, you don't like McAdoo.  I wonder why. 🤣 🤣 The whole Brady thing just burns your bottom.  LOL 🤣 🤣

Now watch you backpedal and go..."oh no I like him, I'm just knocking him in every post because blah blah blah."

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah the few guys that openly turned us down was a big sign of how dysfunctional and unstable this situation in Carolina is. 

We just have to hope it's relatively isolated to Rhule and doesn't extend to the whole organization.

If we don't see big improvements from the game planning and execution this season, then these new hires were ultimately a failure. Although the bulk of that blame will likely rest on Rhule's shoulders.

I think that could be why Tepper kept Rhule this year.  A big picture calculation on how others would look at things.   I do believe the reporting he is embarrassed by Rhule and what he did with that.  So he is giving Rhule a season, because I think in the grand scheme it will make taking a job here look better.   

league rumblings already say Carolina is clusterfug under Rhule. Tepper isn’t dumb.  He knows how we look.   Think he is just trying to look like an attractive boss when he goes hunting again. 

and there is enough smoke something is true.   Tepper embarassed over Rhule. Rhule not crying when he leaves.   Talking about options that could be avaliable the next hiring window like Payton.  Etc.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think that could be why Tepper kept Rhule this year.  A big picture calculation on how others would look at things.   I do believe the reporting he is embarrassed by Rhule and what he did with that.  So he is giving Rhule a season, because I think in the grand scheme it will make taking a job here look better.   

league rumblings already say Carolina is clusterfug under Rhule. Tepper isn’t dumb.  He knows how we look.   Think he is just trying to look like an attractive boss when he goes hunting again. 

and there is enough smoke something is true.   Tepper embarassed over Rhule. Rhule not crying when he leaves.   Talking about options that could be avaliable the next hiring window like Payton.  Etc.

Yeah, we should have a lot more information on Tepper soon. If Rhule tanks again and is retained, 100% chance that Tepper is just a fuging idiot. 

If he tanks or underperforms and he cans him, might have some hope he isn't a dummy. I think that will depend on the next hire, though. If he makes another dum-dum hire, the issue is once again 100% him.

I will say the signs point towards him just being a complete idiot and not knowing what he is doing as an NFL owner.

17 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Since we're just repeating ourselves in a loop.....

Mcadoo took the 28th-highest-scoring offense in 2013  to 13th in 2014. In 2015, they  became the 6th.  In 2016, his first year as HC they went 11-5 and went to the playoffs. 

OBJ and a bunch of other guys got injured in 2017, and they royally sucked when they were expected for a deep playoff run.  Eli was benched for Geno, snapping Eli's  record for consecutive games, and there was talk of Eli leaving.  After that, they fired Mac  going 2-10 that year.

Mac has been a very successful OC, something Brady NEVER was.   Most of the HC heat was losing games and benching a beloved QB.   The "being too predictable" thing was last year's Panthers entire offensive playbook.  Robbie and multiple opposing CB's literally said it out loud. 

BTW the Giants haven't been to the post season since McAdoo was coach, even though you try to draw some rosy NY picture post McAdoo.

We get it, you don't like McAdoo.  I wonder why. 🤣 🤣 The whole Brady thing just burns your bottom.  LOL 🤣 🤣

Now watch you backpedal and go..."oh no I like him, I'm just knocking him in every post because blah blah blah."

All depends how you choose to view it. 

Giants O improved from 2013 to 2014.  We agree. 

some would say a 2 time Super Bowl champ and veteran Eli Manning getting OBJ (one of the most talented WRs in the NFL) was the key catalyst in an improvement from 13 to 14. 

and you say the key catalyst was a first year OC named McAdoo.  That no one has wanted since he left NY until a desperate Rhule came along.

*yes, I realize the Giants made the postseason 1 year with McAdoo.   You seem to leave out McAdoo was BLASTED that year specifically for holding a talented group back with horrible playcalling. That year you reference was basically the foundation of what got him fired.  He got in the way of the offense.  Benching Eli was icing on the McAdoo hate cake that already was baked.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

All depends how you choose to view it. 

Giants O improved from 2013 to 2014.  We agree. 

some would say a 2 time Super Bowl champ and veteran Eli Manning getting OBJ (one of the most talented WRs in the NFL) was the key catalyst in an improvement from 13 to 14. 

and you say the key catalyst was a first year OC named McAdoo.  That no one has wanted since he left NY until a desperate Rhule came along.

*yes, I realize the Giants made the postseason 1 year with McAdoo.   You seem to leave out McAdoo was BLASTED that year specifically for holding a talented group back with horrible playcalling.  That year you reference was basically the foundation of what got him fired.  He got in the way of the offense. 

What have they been blasting the NYG for since McAdoo took them to the playoffs?

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, we should have a lot more information on Tepper soon. If Rhule tanks again and is retained, 100% chance that Tepper is just a fuging idiot. 

If he tanks or underperforms and he cans him, might have some hope he isn't a dummy. I think that will depend on the next hire, though. If he makes another dum-dum hire, the issue is once again 100% him.

I will say the signs point towards him just being a complete idiot and not knowing what he is doing as an NFL owner.

I think he believes he's following the Steelers model, hence all the talk about how much time it takes.

The problem with that is the Steelers generally got their coaching hires right.

Sticking with a bad coach isn't emulating the Steelers. It's just being stupid 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think he believes he's following the Steelers model, hence all the talk about how much time it takes.

The problem with that is the Steelers generally got their coaching hires right.

Sticking with a bad coach isn't emulating the Steelers. It's just being stupid 

Yeah, plus he supposedly wanted to oust Tomlin. If true, we know he has no idea what a good coach looks like.

14 minutes ago, poundaway said:

What have they been blasting the NYG for since McAdoo took them to the playoffs?

I don’t really understand this question. 

But it also doesn’t seem you understand that playoff season you are bragging about….was the foundation for McAdoo’s firing.    Not the season he was actually fired.  That was just the confirmation and act.  Because it became clear he wasn’t a good coach or playcaller.  He was actually someone that got in the way  and limited success.  

And IMO that was the league’s take too.   Because he was basically done at that point.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I don’t really understand this question. 

Now the NY media is showing regret:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/13/how-might-the-giants-look-if-ben-mcadoo-had-more-time/

Of all the what-if scenarios from the Giants’ five years of wallowing among the dregs of the NFL, one of the most incriminating is the jettisoning of Ben McAdoo after just 28 games.  The Giants were 13-15 in McAdoo’s tenure as the head coach: 11-5 in 2016 (the only playoff appearance in a span of 10 years) ...

Had he been given one more year, McAdoo quite possibly could have regained some of the footing he established in his debut season. He also would have pushed for a change at quarterback before the 2018 season, correctly sensing Manning was in decline. In the 2018 draft class, McAdoo identified Josh Allen as the top quarterback based on his “high ceiling,” as he told The Post in July of that year, and put Lamar Jackson at No. 2, ahead of Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. McAdoo had Baker Mayfield, taken No. 1 overall by the Browns, as the sixth-best quarterback that year.

McAdoo, who wanted the Giants to gamble on Patrick Mahomes in 2017 , would have pushed for Allen the following year, when the Giants owned the No. 2 pick. Would McAdoo have been able to convince Mara and general manager Dave Gettleman to finally move on from Manning or at least to finally select Manning’s eventual successor? Drafting Allen instead of running back Saquon Barkley would have changed the course of Giants history.

Ironically, Allen’s ascension in Buffalo led to so much success that the Giants raided the Bills for their new general manager (Joe Schoen) and head coach (Brian Daboll). This concludes this episode of “Giants What If…?’’

• Flames 1