• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former NFL Executive Breaks Down How Teams Are Beating The Salary Cap

TheCasillas

18 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I had my wife with her macroeconomics degree explain it to me. 

Basically rich owners can pay cash over the cap this year, and only be on the hook for the remaining balance (prorated from year to year of course) if the team separates from the player before the end of the contract. If you keep said player(s), you can keep kicking the can down the road infinitely (and that doesn't take into account other ways to play around with the cap as long as both parties agree...e.g. performance bonuses). The richest owners can keep kicking the can(s) down the road forever as long as they're willing to deal in cash over cap which is basically manipulation over/around the cap.

Which totally works as long as the player stays on the roster. But if the player is released or traded then all the remaining unaccounted for signing bonus accelerates to the current year.  Which of course you can manipulate somewhat using the post Jun 1 release designation to spread the cap over 2 years.

Edited by panthers55

19 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Cap management still boils down to the players. Gaming the system with Stafford, Kupp, Ramsey and Donald works. Gaming the system with Teddy, Sam, Robby, Donte and Thomas does not.

It still works, just does it matter? I'd say that depends on the owner. Does the owner mind wasting the money on players that result in a poor product on the field? You can game the system forever with bad players just like good players, but you do have to be careful with players you might cut. Cut players dead cap can't be indefinitely kicked down the road. Out of your list there, the only player to get cut is Teddy.

I am talking strictly about gaming the cap. When you say this "works," but that doesn't, maybe that's not what you are talking about? I mean capwise Ramsey=Donte because they are both on a roster and their salaries can be kicked down the road indefinitely. How they play is irrelevant - as long as they are on the roster.