• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are gonna shock the world!

joemac

1 hour ago, joemac said:

So, I think what we can HOPEFULLY say is that last year was an injury ravaged aberration in his career, and that before last year, he was maybe one of the most successful Number 1 overall picks in NFL history.  I'm very interested to see how this all plays out. 

The missing piece in those stats is ints. Winston is in those rankings, and he was homeless for a period this year. 

Mayfield's career int% is  2.9%.  Last year Mayfield's was 3.1%. 
Stafford's career int% is 2.4%.  Last year Stafford's was 2.8%.
Winston's career int% is  3.3%.  Last year Winston's was 1.9%, but he only threw 1000 yards.

Edited by poundaway

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

The missing piece in those stats is ints. Winston is in those rankings, and he was homeless for a period this year. 

Mayfield's career int% is  2.9%.  Last year Mayfield's was 3.1%. 
Stafford's career int% is 2.4%.  Last year Stafford's was 2.8%.
Winston's career int% is  3.3%.  Last year Winston's was 1.9%, but he only threw 1000 yards.

Yes, I know.  Mayfield has thrown what, 56 INTs in 4 years.  Is that really that many, though?  Thats 14 a season.  And its offset by the fact that he had 21 in one season, his second. Other than that hes had 14, 8, and 13.  Even last year, his supposed, terrible year, he only had 13 picks.  Personally Im not really worried about all that.  He will have CMC to dump the ball off to if things do not look good, so hopefully he will not be forcing the ball into windows he shouldn't as much with us.  

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, joemac said:

Yes, I know.  Mayfield has thrown what, 56 INTs in 4 years.  Is that really that many, though?  Thats 14 a season.  And its offset by the fact that he had 21 in one season, his second. Other than that hes had 14, 8, and 13.  Even last year, his supposed, terrible year, he only had 13 picks.  Personally Im not really worried about all that.  He will have CMC to dump the ball off to if things do not look good, so hopefully he will not be forcing the ball into windows he shouldn't as much with us.  

I agree, Mayfield looks pretty good on paper. 

I'm just wondering what this O is going to look like. 

Rhule says he wants to run and have some balance. 
McAdoo ran mostly pass heavy, shotgun, spread, 1 or empty backfield,  with little play action.
Stephanski ran mostly run heavy, dropback, tight, 2 back,  heavy on play action. 
Mayfield in Oklahoma ran spread shotgun. 

Some say Mayfield can't handle the volume, each throw takes a bit out him, so he drops off in the 4th qtr.   This guy is pretty negative about it:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2022/how-mayfield-fits-mcadoos-offense

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I agree, Mayfield looks pretty good on paper. 

I'm just wondering what this O is going to look like. 

Rhule says he wants to run and have some balance. 
McAdoo ran mostly pass heavy, shotgun, spread, 1 or empty backfield,  with little play action.
Stephanski ran mostly run heavy, dropback, tight, 2 back,  heavy on play action. 
Mayfield in Oklahoma ran spread shotgun. 

Some say Mayfield can't handle the volume, each throw takes a bit out him, so he drops off in the 4th qtr.   This guy is pretty negative about it:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2022/how-mayfield-fits-mcadoos-offense

Yeah thats a very good question.  If McAdoo's history is any indication, you would have to think its a shotgun, pass heavy, spread concept offense.  Mayfield was a monster at OU running that kind of system.  We've got the weapons to do it, and if the o-line ends up being decent, we could be really good thru the air.  IDK about all that Mayfield falling off in the 4th quarter because the throws take it out of him or whatever.  Hes a professional thrower.  QBs throw at most, what?  60 times once a week?  And not all of those are max effort.  Baseball pitchers throw over 100 pitches, max effort each time, every 5 days or so.  Now, pitchers don't have 300 lb guys on the other side trying to kill them every play, so its a little different, but arm fatigue should have little to do with it in a single game. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

Yeah thats a very good question.  If McAdoo's history is any indication, you would have to think its a shotgun, pass heavy, spread concept offense.  Mayfield was a monster at OU running that kind of system.  We've got the weapons to do it, and if the o-line ends up being decent, we could be really good thru the air.  IDK about all that Mayfield falling off in the 4th quarter because the throws take it out of him or whatever.  Hes a professional thrower.  QBs throw at most, what?  60 times once a week?  And not all of those are max effort.  Baseball pitchers throw over 100 pitches, max effort each time, every 5 days or so.  Now, pitchers don't have 300 lb guys on the other side trying to kill them every play, so its a little different, but arm fatigue should have little to do with it in a single game. 

Yeah, we're talking the difference between throwing 30 and 33 passes a game.  In college he threw 29.  These are tendencies anyway.  Stefanski ran shotgun/spread on passing downs and Baker did fine.  Not worried.  I just want McAdoo's  production  in NY.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, joemac said:

The complaint from Cleveland is he chokes in the 4th. Does that have to do with stamina? Head up ass? It's definitely something that prevents him from being elite, clutch. A healthy Cam was a clutch player. He's getting that TD. Clete Blakeman won the war and Von Miller gets dancing with the stars instead of Cam who had one of the best seasons in NFL history, 15-1.

The bolded portion contains a lot of apologetics for a guy who had one good season in a organization that isn't even mid-level in the win column historically, usually and a franchise that hasn't been to the Superbowl once.

Proud Panther fan here, we've been twice and almost got there three times with NFCW, NfCS championships spattered about.

Anything good to a Browns fan base has to be put into context.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Beer 1

If you guys remember the old school New England Patriots were the doormat to the Superbowl for years. The Bears wiped their feet on them on their way to winning the SB back in 85. 

In that context it's good having at least BEEN to the Superbowl twice already. New England kept knocking till they started kicking doors down.

In the name of Sam Mills, I hope we finally get back to KEEP POUNDING, MAN UP again, stop being called SOFT and kick down the damn door!

Golden State Warriors No GIF by NBA

Alas...

47 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

The complaint from Cleveland is he chokes in the 4th. 

A healthy Cam was a clutch player. He's getting that TD.

Cam had 20 game winning drives and 16 4th quarter comebacks in 148 games.

Baker has 7 game winning drives and 6 4th quarter comebacks in 59 games.

Its true Bakers play falls off overall in the 4th, but that's mostly visible in 2021.  It doesn't show like that in the other years.  It's like looking at 2019 and saying Mahomes drops off in the 4th.  People have short memories.

image.thumb.png.85fc6e18b329c07d7e0ffac18f4d39e4.png

image.thumb.png.b5f1c4a3b5d7bad22ce9a4990fc9e0dd.png

image.thumb.png.8fb7b64354c1a1310349da74e09461f6.png
image.thumb.png.6ed96569db3292006c89f56eb813a0f4.png

Edited by poundaway

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

Its true Bakers play falls off overall in the 4th, but that's mostly visible in 2021.  It doesn't show like that in the other years.  It like looking at 2019 and saying Mahomes drops off in the 4th.  People have short memories.

image.png

I read most of that info from articles posted here. This is nothing new. They highlight bad decisions especially in the fourth quarter. To me that's lack of physical condition and general discipline. He's faded at the end of races for four years. Decision making breaks down in the crunch when you're gassed. He's already short and slow according to their articles posted here on the huddle.

It's another QB somebody, a bottom organization, was throwing away.

Rhule=Dollar Store Dave 

12 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Its true Bakers play falls off overall in the 4th, but that's mostly visible in 2021.  It doesn't show like that in the other years.  It like looking at 2019 and saying Mahomes drops off in the 4th.  People have short memories.

image.png

Cam is just far superior, they knew that, that's why the door remained "open".

8 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I read most of that info from articles posted here. This is nothing new. They highlight bad decisions especially in the fourth quarter. To me that's lack of physical condition and general discipline. He's faded at the end of races for four years. Decision making breaks down in the crunch when you're gassed. He's already short and slow according to their articles posted here on the huddle.

It's another QB somebody, a bottom organization, was throwing away.

Rhule=Dollar Store Dave 

If you read it, you missed the point.  Cam's comeback and winning drive performance isn't that different from Mayfield's.  Mayfield's 4th quarter performance was better than Staffords in 2018 and 2020.  He has been decent in the 4th.  On the other hand, Mayfield has also sucked at times in the 4th, particularly in 2021.  Hopefully he will be good this year.

Your plan to just throw Corral to the wolves is a recipe for disaster that will get him killed.  He himself said learning the playbook alone is a big challenge.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't see it happening but I'd be happier than Sean Payton in a pharmacy.

Happier than Robert Kraft in a massage parlor.

Happier than Greg Hardy in a gun store.

Happier than Gronk when he gets a high school diploma.

Happier than Tiger Woods when he finally makes a cut.

• Flames 1