• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker's Brand of Football: Kurt Warner's Analysis. Part 1 and 2.

50 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I understand, but people must understand that that was years ago. [That was great though, as Norman got into his head. It happens.]

Sure, many fans look at all the negatives surrounding OBJ and his attitude, but the fact is is that he had a lot of locker room love in Cleveland. Baker? Not so much. Moreover, there are legit analyses of how Mayfield did in fact miss reads to a wide open OBJ (purposefully or not). And, let's not forget that OBJ is a Super Bowl champion. His presence made a difference. Without him, notwithstanding he only played about a half, they lose. Likewise, If OBJ doesn't get hurt, the game isn't as close. In my opinion, Baker should've maximized his use of OBJ within the scope of his offense, but it didn't appear that he was doing that.

All I'm saying is you can't have two divas on the O. 
According the journalist on 4mr https://youtu.be/jIlLzLpEE3Y?t=2841:

So I've talked to several players that are on the cleveland browns roster They asked to be left anonymous. The concept that Baker's a bad dude and a bad teammate that's not well liked in a general sense is just not fair.   It's not accurate.   Even Odell and Baker were getting along fine when that video that was made by an amateur  fan that Odell Beckham Senior just retweeted it you know....

At the end of the day Odell wanted to be out of Cleveland.  Receivers wanted to get away from Kevin Stefanski's offense for a long time going back to Stephon Digs in Minnesota.   It's not a good fit. 

If you have a rule in your offense that says you throw to the guy who's doing his job...he's in this spot at this time and Odell Beckham Jr, we all know is an improviser. He moves around, he changes direction, he does whatever he thinks he has to do to get open and that's just not a good fit for that offensive system.

It makes sense.  Stephanski was a run first guy with Chubb and Hunt and there were a lot of wr mouths to feed.  Odell wasn't getting the love he felt he deserved and woke up and realized he was living in Cleveland.

8 minutes ago, poundaway said:

All I'm saying is you can't have two divas on the O. 
According the journalist on 4mr https://youtu.be/jIlLzLpEE3Y?t=2841:

So I've talked to several players that are on the cleveland browns roster They asked to be left anonymous. The concept that Baker's a bad dude and a bad teammate that's not well liked in a general sense is just not fair.   It's not accurate.   Even Odell and Baker were getting along fine when that video that was made by an amateur  fan that Odell Beckham Senior just retweeted it you know....

At the end of the day Odell wanted to be out of Cleveland.  Receivers wanted to get away from Kevin Stefanski's offense for a long time going back to Stephon Digs in Minnesota.   It's not a good fit. 

If you have a rule in your offense that says you throw to the guy who's doing his job...he's in this spot at this time and Odell Beckham Jr, we all know is an improviser. He moves around, he changes direction, he does whatever he thinks he has to do to get open and that's just not a good fit for that offensive system.

It makes sense.  Stephanski was a run first guy with Chubb and Hunt and there were a lot of wr mouths to feed.  Odell wasn't getting the love he felt he deserved and woke up and realized he was living in Cleveland.

There may be some truth in this. There probably is. But my thing is that some of this diva-ish behavior preceded OBJ. Hell, there were questions coming out of college. And, the thing is, if you are going to support your QB after the drama surrounding OBJ's dad, it would seem to me that you wouldn't do it anonymously, you would do it publicly, particularly after OBJ was gone. If someone really was committed about what they're saying, surely it would seem like they'd say that he wasn't so bad after all this time. 

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

There may be some truth in this. There probably is. But my thing is that some of this diva-ish behavior preceded OBJ. Hell, there were questions coming out of college. And, the thing is, if you are going to support your QB after the drama surrounding OBJ's dad, it would seem to me that you wouldn't do it anonymously, you would do it publicly, particularly after OBJ was gone. If someone really was committed about what they're saying, surely it would seem like they'd say that he wasn't so bad after all this time. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32559762/the-story-how-baker-mayfield-odell-beckham-jr-field-browns-relationship-fell-apart

Why didn't he throw it to Beckham? Especially when OBJ was wide open?  Except, Beckham had run the wrong route. Or, to put it another way, his own route.

"That's why Baker looked confused," as one team source put it. "That's how it was all year, which was frustrating."

Over the following two seasons, Mayfield and Beckham both tried to make their connection work on the field. They spent hours throwing passes together. They took trips together. They even played video games together.

I'm not saying Baker isn't a diva.  He is.  But he also played his best stretch of football AFTER Odel got injured mid season 2020 ...taking them to the playoffs, defeating the Steelers on the road and then losing to the KC by 5 at KC.

Bakers antics on the sidelines are pure diva.  I don't care.   If that's why he was cheap for us, awesome.   Just throw touchdowns.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:13 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I think we would trade Darnold if we could. Nah, don't extend Baker. Let him prove it. You can always franchise tag him if need be if he plays well.

I didn't mean to say we should guarantee anything. Offer him a two year deal with the ability to extend or cut bait after one. It's the ultimate prove it deal and Baker is the type of guy who can be challenged. 

But I'm of the mindset to trade both Robby and Sam because Robby without Sam is going to be a sulky SOB if the Panthers lose even one game because of a turnover by Baker. He seems to lack the ability to think critically about his role and that of "his QB". The Bears need receivers.

14 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I didn't mean to say we should guarantee anything. Offer him a two year deal with the ability to extend or cut bait after one. It's the ultimate prove it deal and Baker is the type of guy who can be challenged. 

But I'm of the mindset to trade both Robby and Sam because Robby without Sam is going to be a sulky SOB if the Panthers lose even one game because of a turnover by Baker. He seems to lack the ability to think critically about his role and that of "his QB". The Bears need receivers.

If any team was legitimately interested in Robbie enough to trade for his services it would have happened around the draft. His value around the league has only gone down since then so finding a taker now is a daydream.

22 hours ago, top dawg said:

I understand, but people must understand that that was years ago. [That was great though, as Norman got into his head. It happens.]

Sure, many fans look at all the negatives surrounding OBJ and his attitude, but the fact is is that he had a lot of locker room love in Cleveland. Baker? Not so much. Moreover, there are legit analyses of how Mayfield did in fact miss reads to a wide open OBJ (purposefully or not). And, let's not forget that OBJ is a Super Bowl champion. His presence made a difference. Without him, notwithstanding he only played about a half, they lose. Likewise, If OBJ doesn't get hurt, the game isn't as close. In my opinion, Baker should've maximized his use of OBJ within the scope of his offense, but it didn't appear that he was doing that.

As a Browns fan, I can tell you from watching every game played by OBJ and Mayfieild....OBJ is nothing more than an overrated Prima Dona, who never wanted to be in Cleveland . He wanted out from the start. I could produce a video longer than the one he had, with him dropping easy catchable passes. If I'm the qb, and a WR repeatedly drops easy balls, why would I continue to go out of my way to get him the ball? If there is one instance of any teammate of Mayfield's ( other than OBJ ) expressing a problem with him in the locker room, I would like to see it. It hasn't happened. That's crap created by the Browns' management to manipulate the media and the fans. There are plenty of teammates that always supported him. Like it or not....Mayfield will turn your team around immediately.