• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What about Fritterer?

Waldo

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Hiring an outside consultant isn't going to change the perception around the league that Tepper is a sh-tty boss.

Honestly, neither are press conferences like he gave yesterday but hey...

What NFL owner isn't a shitty boss behind the scenes? I'll wait. Tepper is already seen that way I would guess. Spilt milk and all that. 

Maybe it is the ghost of keeping Hurney and where that led but I am fine with Friterer having to earn his spot next year. There isn't an employee in house that I think shouldn't at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

What NFL owner isn't a shitty boss behind the scenes? I'll wait. Tepper is already seen that way I would guess. Spilt milk and all that. 

Maybe it is the ghost of keeping Hurney and where that led but I am fine with Friterer having to earn his spot next year. There isn't an employee in house that I think shouldn't at this point. 

Off the top of my head, the Rooneys, the Maras, Tisch...hell, if you weren't a hot chick, people loved working for Jerry Richardson.

(I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting)

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Off the top of my head, the Rooneys, the Maras, Tisch...hell, if you weren't a hot chick, people loved working for Jerry Richardson.

(I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting)

So less then 10%? Well it isn't all I will grant you that. 

47 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

That might be a bit too literal.

He said Rhule directed the "annual QB chase", which could mean he told his people he wanted en experienced QB and not to go the rookie route.  Maybe he directed his people to find options and his people (Fitt and Morgan) came up with Darnold and maybe some others.  Maybe of those options Rhule decided on his own which one.

Or maybe he did micromanage the heck out of it and he came up with Darnold all on his own and Fitt actually thought it was a good idea and didn't oppose it. 

Really as fans it's hard for us to know for sure.

Personally I really want to like Fitterer.  Just as fan's its really hard for us to critique him because we don't know how much he was responsible for the good and bad hires.  

Fact is we almost have to trust Tepper to make the right decision on him.

This is spot on where I am with Fitterer, and it seems to drive some people crazy. 

We simply don't know 1) who made or drove what decisions, 2) whether Fitterer could walk away from a deal for somebody Rhule wanted, or was he limited to just trying to get the best deal possible (think Darnold), 3) if the division of responsibility ever changed and if so, when (so you can figure out who drove what decisions), 4) what Rhule told Fitterer the dynamic between the two would be vs. what it wound up being.  In other words, if the carrot to get him to sign on was they would talk it through until they agreed, and in practice Rhule ended the talks with he was guy in charge of personnel decisions, that is a pretty big difference. 

We don't know those things, but we know who does: Tepper.  While Tepper's decision making for an NFL team is not ranked very high on my list, I have to defer to him on this because of the fact he does know the things that we do not.

Just saying Fitterer signed into this relationship is all fine and well, but he still did not sign on to be held accountable for things that were not his job.  They should have been his job, but they weren't.  That part is on Tepper.

Scot is correct, firing him for decisions that he had no voice in and had no choice but to implement (If that was the case) will be noticed.  Every few years we see a team that has to dumpster dive for a HC or GM because nobody remotely good will talk to them.  The most recent one was the 49ers after they chased Harbaugh out.  Mr. Dunkin Donuts 2015 (Tomsula) was not their first choice, he was their last resort.  Then, when he failed, their only option was Chip Kelly.  

We could be next.  All Tepper has to do is continue to follow his instincts. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

This is spot on where I am with Fitterer, and it seems to drive some people crazy. 

We simply don't know 1) who made or drove what decisions, 2) whether Fitterer could walk away from a deal for somebody Rhule wanted, or was he limited to just trying to get the best deal possible (think Darnold), 3) if the division of responsibility ever changed and if so, when (so you can figure out who drove what decisions), 4) what Rhule told Fitterer the dynamic between the two would be vs. what it wound up being.  In other words, if the carrot to get him to sign on was they would talk it through until they agreed, and in practice Rhule ended the talks with he was guy in charge of personnel decisions, that is a pretty big difference. 

We don't know those things, but we know who does: Tepper.  While Tepper's decision making for an NFL team is not ranked very high on my list, I have to defer to him on this because of the fact he does know the things that we do not.

Just saying Fitterer signed into this relationship is all fine and well, but he still did not sign on to be held accountable for things that were not his job.  They should have been his job, but they weren't.  That part is on Tepper.

Scot is correct, firing him for decisions that he had no voice in and had no choice but to implement (If that was the case) will be noticed.  Every few years we see a team that has to dumpster dive for a HC or GM because nobody remotely good will talk to them.  The most recent one was the 49ers after they chased Harbaugh out.  Mr. Dunkin Donuts 2015 (Tomsula) was not their first choice, he was their last resort.  Then, when he failed, their only option was Chip Kelly.  

We could be next.  All Tepper has to do is continue to follow his instincts. 

That's a big concern for me.

Tepper is already in the conversation for worst owner in the league when it comes to both results (horrible win-loss record) and intelligence (the sheer stupidity of what he gave Rhule)

About the only positive he might still have to offer would be making the Panthers a great place to work, but it sounds like that might already be out the window too.

I really don't want to see us become the kind of long-term laughingstock we've seen some other teams be, but I fear we're headed in that direction if things don't change.

• Beer 1

For me theres some bad and more good thus far. We do not know what % of role he played in Darnold. Roast away with your 20/20, but the baker trade was still a smart move at the time.......results have baker in the outhouse tho. 

I will say this in his defense, maybe the main role of the GM is to supply the coaching staff with a certain type of player. I believe Finesserererer did a great job across the whole team. 

Ive truly liked each draft and how each was totally different in the manner it played out, * on the drafted days, I loved the results. Still a little earlier on most, but results are not the same 10/10 feelings

I hated his first FA haul, with elf and erv. Guess who was also in that trash group- Frankie Luvu....Much better the next round with Morgan helping. This group could have been saved if they kept reddick around....

Personally I could be talked into either way. Would not complain if fired and have an interest in who he'd pick as HC/staff. Force me to vote, I'd give him the real shot at hiring "his" coach. Fail? Shitcann the whole org and start fresh. 

Edited by Basbear

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

That situation was the one he was prepared for by being in a similar organization up in Seattle where the HC rules all, that was why Rhule wanted him. He fit that mold and would operate in that kind of system. Saying it's not fair he doesn't get a shot at a job type he wasn't hired for or have much experience with is a bit misleading. He was never a final say GM so just giving it to him is a complete shot in the dark when we could hire GM prospect trained in that kind of environment. 

He had his fair shot when he decided to sign on to a mess. It stinks but he did say yes to being a GM on a leash and to Rhule of all coaches. No one can downplay his decision there. 

I'm OK with seeing how he handles the rest of this year and him earning his job next year but no one owes him a damn thing he doesn't earn going forward. The season is still long from finished and all these guys have to play nice with each other while facing an uphill battle for wins. 

I think at the end of the season Fitts and other candidates can interview for the GM position. Let the best and most qualified person win.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I think at the end of the season Fitts and other candidates can interview for the GM position. Let the best and most qualified person win.

I hate to ask this, but since we are fairly fresh off some other "competitions," who is going to judge the "best and most qualified?"

Here's my concern: I don't think Tepper knows the difference.  He has already been the victim of one scam.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Fine but it has to be a real hiring process which means Tepper brings in outside help. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I hate to ask this, but since we are fairly fresh off some other "competitions," who is going to judge the "best and most qualified?"

Here's my concern: I don't think Tepper knows the difference.  He has already been the victim of one scam.

Tepper said he was open to a consultant or maybe Morgan. I just think we need to wipe away the entire Rhule stench and I pretty sure he's the one that chose Fitt. It's a real mess for sure.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I really don't want to see us become the kind of long-term laughingstock we've seen some other teams be, but I fear we're headed in that direction if things don't change.

Think we are sadly already there. 

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Think we are sadly already there. 

We could be close.  The only thing that will save us is there will be more coaches fired and other organizations that look like a bunch of buffoons. 

For example, when Rivera gets the axe in DC, I don't think people will be lining up to work for the Dan Snyder-led Foreskins.  Hell, he may have to hire Rhule.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

We could be close.  The only thing that will save us is there will be more coaches fired and other organizations that look like a bunch of buffoons. 

For example, when Rivera gets the axe in DC, I don't think people will be lining up to work for the Dan Snyder-led Foreskins.  Hell, he may have to hire Rhule.

I think we were already there entering this year, locked in once Tepper retained Rhule.

If Tepper hires a good consultant to help fix the issues and set a new tone then that changes. I don't see anyone in house good to lean on and I don't see Tepper being able to do anything solo in the near future. One good hand to help the process would change lots of perception. Staying the course would just be more of the same. Tepper can't not hire a consultant to help clean up the mess he made with Rhule. He needs help on every angle and there are a lot of turds in the punchbowl left after Hurney and Rhule to sort through.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes but from the dysfunction we can all see it was more than we factually know at this time.  

I would love to see Rhule with Snyder. Just a perfect match. 

Edited by Waldo

33 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Pretty sure no team has ever forced a sitting coach or GM to interview for their own job.

Also pretty sure that if we did, we'd quickly be even more of a laughingstock than we are already.