• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gee...Ilke Wilks

ladypanther

17 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

I agree, but Tepper can't afford to miss on the next hire. So Wilks can act as a bridge. 

otherwise, u hire a young 1st time coach & he gives you Rhules' vibe. I don't know if this fanbase can take that after Rhule. 

McDaniels is already failing in NV lol so that takes care of the NFL Rhule as a HC. Doresy gives me those unstable vibes but their are other OCs out there.

Hiring Wilks and being 7-9ish in wins in year 2 would be failing IMO. Next year isn't about Rhule or comparing to Rhule. It is really can you find a better HC than Wilks and the answer is yes as Daboll with the Giants is proving. Another OC that has a stud of a DC because no one with a brain wants to hire a defensive guy in this NFL. McD is the last one I can remember and he was propped up by Daboll and Dorsey is a noticeable step back from him. 

Tepper can afford to miss, just not the epic fail that is Rhule. I just don't want to sit through another conservative defensive HC, especially not one with Wilks coaching connections on that side of the ball. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

I like Wilks too, he seems like a good guy.  The players like him too.  That doesn't always win games.  I get it, the home town story is cool and it seems like Panther fans are always wanting some Cinderella story but we have to stay strong and expect a coach that can coach in the NFL of today, not decades ago.  Playing for field goals and playing not to lose is just not the way.  If we want a rehash of Rivera and Fox's inconsistency then Wilks seems like the guy.  If we want to build a winning franchise and culture and finally have back to back winning seasons.... I'm not sure he is the guy.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

McDaniels is already failing in NV lol so that takes care of the NFL Rhule as a HC. Doresy gives me those unstable vibes but their are other OCs out there.

Hiring Wilks and being 7-9ish in wins in year 2 would be failing IMO. Next year isn't about Rhule or comparing to Rhule. It is really can you find a better HC than Wilks and the answer is yes as Daboll with the Giants is proving. Another OC that has a stud of a DC because no one with a brain wants to hire a defensive guy in this NFL. McD is the last one I can remember and he was propped up by Daboll and Dorsey is a noticeable step back from him. 

Tepper can afford to miss, just not the epic fail that is Rhule. I just don't want to sit through another conservative defensive HC, especially not one with Wilks coaching connections on that side of the ball. 

I hear you. I would like an Offensive coach as well. I rather lose an exciting shootout like Sunday, than lose a boring defensive fest like we had with the Giants. 

I still believe Rhule was so bad that, Tepper being a new owner himself, can't afford to miss this badly again for his 2nd hire. 

Aside from Sean Peyton, no Offensive coach has experience at HC. So you can get someone who is going to be pretty bad again...

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

I hear you. I would like an Offensive coach as well. I rather lose an exciting shootout like Sunday, than lose a boring defensive fest like we had with the Giants. 

I still believe Rhule was so bad that, Tepper being a new owner himself, can't afford to miss this badly again for his 2nd hire. 

Aside from Sean Peyton, no Offensive coach has experience at HC. So you can get someone who is going to be pretty bad again...

The fact Rhule wanted total control with almost nonexistent NFL experience tells you how bad that hire was and why I think someone who has worked under meaningful coaches in the NFL will have a solid chance moving forward. Wilks has the Rivera tree of experience and it shows. I think he might be an improvement by this point but it still feels way too much like Rivera for me to be excited about years more of that. Wilks showed what you don't take less than in a new HC. Stay away from the unstable guys who don't love the game and are selling BS and look for the regular hiring red flags.

His time in Arizona was not great so you could flip it and say that because the other coaches haven't made HC yet they may be the better option because they are not an unknow vs that. I know Wilks can run a D but how the hell is he going to keep a good to great OC around?