• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks Set This Team Back

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

...that we'll complain about the same way next offseason and keep the rebuild process going for eternity.

You have to hope the draft picks net good players, who we can complain are one-trick ponies and "not as tough as Steve Smith," so you can hope they get traded for more draft picks, which we hope will net good players, who we can trade for more draft picks, which we hope will net good players, which we hope will be traded for more draft picks, which we hope will net good players, to net even more draft picks, which we hope will lead us to a Super Bowl. Then we can finally trade those good players for draft picks, which we hope will net good players.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

OK.

Following up: how much did a meaningless division title, meaningless playoff appearance and meaningless first playoff win in 9 years hurt the Panthers more in 2014, than a 5-11 record and the once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the course of team history by selecting WR Kevin White or DT Danny Shelton?

Would like to know your thoughts on this, @Kentucky Panther

Instead of tanking and landing Kevin White, who's blossomed into a practice squad WR, the team won a pointless division championship, an utterly meaningless playoff game and, due in part to a lower first-round draft pick, struggled to a 15-1 record the following season and backed into a Super Bowl berth.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

OK.

Following up: how much did a meaningless division title, meaningless playoff appearance and meaningless first playoff win in 9 years hurt the Panthers more in 2014, than a 5-11 record and the once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the course of team history by selecting WR Kevin White or DT Danny Shelton?

Great. Now do all of the other seasons we finished with a losing record. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You have to hope the draft picks net good players, who we can complain are one-trick ponies and "not as tough as Steve Smith," so you can hope they get traded for more draft picks, which we hope will net good players, who we can trade for more draft picks, which we hope will net good players, which we hope will be traded for more draft picks, which we hope will net good players, to net even more draft picks, which we hope will lead us to a Super Bowl. Then we can finally trade those good players for draft picks, which we hope will net good players.

There are people who stupidly complain about draft picks if they're not all stars from day one.

• Pie 1

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

Would like to know your thoughts on this, @Kentucky Panther

Instead of tanking and landing Kevin White, who's blossomed into a practice squad WR, the team won a pointless division championship, an utterly meaningless playoff game and, due in part to a lower first-round draft pick, struggled to a 15-1 record the following season and backed into a Super Bowl berth.

This is a one in a hundred scenario. Teams with losing records usually do not make the playoffs. Also let’s be real, Cam >>>>> Darnold and it’s not even close, man. We knew we had a franchise QB at that point. 

I do not judge posters who wanted to make the playoffs. I said it would have been fun, regardless of what you think is the best for the team going forward. 

Just now, Kentucky Panther said:

This is a one in a hundred scenario. Teams with losing records usually do not make the playoffs. Also let’s be real, Cam >>>>> Darnold and it’s not even close, man. We knew we had a franchise QB at that point. 

I do not judge posters who wanted to make the playoffs. I said it would have been fun, regardless of what you think is the best for the team going forward. 

I'm not comparing quarterbacks. I'm just saying that the idea of tanking every November and December for the chance of a practice squad standout is not the most successful way of conducting business. Some seasons are lost, sure, but for one week -- one week -- fans of this team had hope for the first time in five years. Is that worth dropping as many as two draft slots, where one of the players we want will still be there? Sure. It is to me.

• Pie 2

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

I'm not comparing quarterbacks. I'm just saying that the idea of tanking every November and December for the chance of a practice squad standout is not the most successful way of conducting business. Some seasons are lost, sure, but for one week -- one week -- fans of this team had hope for the first time in five years. Is that worth dropping as many as two draft slots, where one of the players we want will still be there? Sure. It is to me.

The context is important. During that run we knew we had a bright future at QB. We do not have that luxury now. I did not feel the same way I did when we had Cam. We always had a chance with Cam. But for the past three seasons we’ve been in QB purgatory. Sam Darnold leading us to a first round playoff exit was not changing that. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are people who stupidly complain about draft picks if they're not all stars from day one.

As soon as they're stars, though, gotta ship 'em out for draft picks. Fell behind 7-0 after the first quarter of the season, so the rest of the year is meaningless anyway. Besides, no team has ever made the Super Bowl after getting only one first down in the first half of their opener.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

You should work for Bank of America Stadium, because you're really good at moving goalposts.

I’m not moving goalposts. The team and run you mentioned involved a superstar QB in his prime. You don’t think that in itself gives the fan base a different mindset than what we’ve seen at the position recently? No one wanted to tank when we had Cam because there was no reason to tank. 

Just now, Kentucky Panther said:

The context is important. During that run we knew we had a bright future at QB. We do not have that luxury now. I did not feel the same way I did when we had Cam. We always had a chance with Cam. But for the past three seasons we’ve been in QB purgatory. Sam Darnold leading us to a first round playoff exit was not changing that. 

People get tired of losing. Sam Darnold was not going to lead this team to a playoff win, no different than he did not lead this team to a win over Detroit that made the playoffs a reasonable possibility. DeOnta Foreman, Chuba Hubbard and a nasty OL, however, led the team to that win, to that level of contention, and Darnold was doing his part at QB. The secret to any success this team, as constructed, could've had, was in the ground game. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

You know....sometimes I feel I am more a fan of this team than a good number of you who basically (and actively) root for this team to fail in hopes that our idiot Owner will make the proper "decisions" regarding Coaching (ha! That'll be the day). 

Staring Ice Cube GIF

Let me repeat :  Our IDIOT Owner who does not know what the F-CK he's doing.     That IDIOT owner.

The only way this franchise truly turns a corner is if there is new ownership.  

So long as Tepper is in charge, there will always be questionable decisions, hires, and overall Mediocrity.

• Pie 3