• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The NFL is Rigged

Diehardpanth02

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

My thing is for people who so passionately feel sports are rigged (sorry, INFLUENCED)

Why watch? And if your answer is “I still enjoy it”, then why bother complaining? Clearly you have accepted it and nothing you say will change it. So why let it upset you, if you know it is influenced going in?

I don't know if people talking about this are really "upset".  In contrast, I think most accept it and watch the game for what it is.... entertainment.  Just like a wrestling fan would watch Wrestlemania.  I think we still route for the players and coaches who I think are trying their hardest to win and it does annoy when the calls are so bad but I haven't been "upset" in a long time.  It's just something to discuss about on a ...discussion board.  Why are you so upset people are talking about it?

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I don't know if people talking about this are really "upset".  In contrast, I think most accept it and watch the game for what it is.... entertainment.  Just like a wrestling fan would watch Wrestlemania.  I think we still route for the players and coaches who I think are trying their hardest to win and it does annoy when the calls are so bad but I haven't been "upset" in a long time.  It's just something to discuss about on a ...discussion board.  Why are you so upset people are talking about it?

it being influenced definitely doesn't want to make me turn it off.  It just heightens things.  Overcoming the preferred outcome? Hell, that makes it even more exciting to watch.  

I think it's extraordinarily unlikely to almost impossible that the game was "rigged" by means of some coordinated NFL conspiracy from top-down. But it would be naive to say it's unthinkable that 1 or more of the refs could have been influenced by personal biases or even as far as gambling influences to favor Kansas City over Cincinnati. 

If you watch the Donaghy documentaries, part of the reason he got away with it was that he wasn't engaging in blatant tactics with made up calls. He would do things like call fouls on a star player when there was only minor contact for the team he needed to lose. On replays, you could see there was clear contact, albeit not egregious, and on deeper dive, it was rare for him to call fouls on players on the other team for similar contact.

In the Kansas City game, it did feel like the vast majority of 50/50 calls went against the Bengals. Maybe just one of the refs deep down really favored Kansas City and let it perhaps even unintentionally influence his calls. Or with the wider spread legalization of sports gambling, it's not exactly embracing conspiracy theories to say it's possible someone could have bribed one of the refs to shift things in one direction. All it takes is 1 or 2 big calls in key moments to dramatically influence the game.

28 minutes ago, Mage said:

The funniest thing about "sports is rigged" is that if you don't agree it is rigged, it is you who is made out to be the delusional one lol 

Because people that believe what they are spoon fed have always been the delusional ones. It's just more of the majority now that see through the veil of bs that we are all being given.

My question to it all, why is Goodell and the NFL so adamant about making sure we know that they are an entertainment industry. The only other professional sports league that does this is the NBA, and there has been multiples instances of games being set up and offer the proof your so adamant on requesting.

I don't see the NFL being much different. But hey, I could be wrong. But id rather be skeptical and wrong, than drink the bleach water.

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

it's entertainment.  Why watch anything on a TV screen.  Or you tube.  Or anywhere else.  It's just an escape/entertainment.  It being influenced simply adds to the ability to entertain. 

Yes and everyone accepts TV for what it is. 

7 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I don't know if people talking about this are really "upset".  In contrast, I think most accept it and watch the game for what it is.... entertainment.  Just like a wrestling fan would watch Wrestlemania.  

Wrestling fans don’t complain about wrestling being scripted. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, which is why he had to go. 

and it's not like that is the lone example of sports being influenced.  It's documented in pretty much all sports to some degree already.   That it has always existed.  And it never killed any sport.  They just got more popular.  Some great risk. 

One man can influence a game.  That is undeniable fact.  Intentionally or intentionally. That's all it takes. It's naive to think a multi-billion sport doesn't care what happens or have preferences.  You think we live in an honest world?  I don't think any adult does.   You think sports is going to be the outlier where honesty reigns supreme? 

Knew going in this one was going to be weird IMO.  It just so happened the most flag happy official got rewarded with the game.   Because that made sense huh.  It never made sense.  Neither does part time good old boy network of refs.  Neither does the lack of tech in 2023 to ensure so much could be gotten right.  They don't care about that. 

Where are these examples of NFL refs being bent? 

And just because they can affect a game, doesn’t mean they are, or have. Intentionally. These are the same accusations as there were in the 1970s and it’s never been shown to be true even once. That’s a lot of people to keep quiet. 

The rest is just whatever scenario you have made up in your mind with little to no knowledge of how the NFL works. What tech was needed? How many games have you called or even played in? You have a theory. That’s adorable. But it’s nowhere close to factual or even true. I’m just glad they made your wife happy?   

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

Yes and everyone accepts TV for what it is. 

I mean, TV is entertainment.  Same for the internet.  Where almost nothing is 100% straight or real.  It's all entrainment or slanted by design.  That's the world we live and have always lived in. 

Too much money in sports to think there isn't an absurd amount of funny business.   Funny business in literally everything.  The more money involved the more funny business involved IMO. 

and all it takes is one man.  It's already been admitted one man can influence the outcome of a game.  Just naive to think one man doesn't get put in play often.   

and then you watch the games.   No way they are all free from it.  It's like listening to our politicians and believing they aren't all full of poo.   Man corrupts everything.  Definitely the gambling fueled billion-dollar sports industry.  

13 minutes ago, Mage said:

My thing is for people who so passionately feel sports are rigged (sorry, INFLUENCED)

Why watch? And if your answer is “I still enjoy it”, then why bother complaining? Clearly you have accepted it and nothing you say will change it. So why let it upset you, if you know it is influenced going in?

Isn't this argument akin to the "Well if you think cops killing unarmed people/politicians making 10 year olds give birth/school shootings happening every month/etc is so bad, why don't you move to another country"? Pretty sure people are allowed to be upset about things even if they otherwise love that thing. Kind of like if your spouse does something you don't like, the choices are either divorce or just sit quiet and suck it up? Like to have the audacity to say "Hey I love you but it hurts when you do this. Is it cool if you could stop?" 

Just overall one of the laziest arguments out there.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, JawnyBlaze said:

I already explained it. Rigging is predetermined outcome, only one possible outcome. Influencing is trying for an outcome but it could go either way. 

so an example would be? What would be influencing without rigging. 

“Try to let Chiefs win, but don’t try too hard.”24818126-B287-46E6-B8C6-4E187222B964.gif.007fb2aca78840fa701b6f568067fadc.gif

5 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Isn't this argument akin to the "Well if you think cops killing unarmed people/politicians making 10 year olds give birth/school shootings happening every month/etc is so bad, why don't you move to another country"?

Yes, this is the perfect comparison for NFL being influenced/rigged.