• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper admits to mistake in hiring Matt Rhule

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I don’t see 2023 Tepper in the same light that I do in 2020 Tepper. He has done a lot of good things lately. From his apology and humility demonstration, providing to the community, putting his players first during the death of Anton Wilkes, and making a sensical hire in Reich. He has made a lot of progress as a person as well as an NFL owner, and I’m not one who is going to take that away from him.

He is also about to go into a head to head against the NFL in their hiring practices with his comments yesterday. I wish him luck. 

I went into this hiring process afraid he was gonna do something stupid (like give Sean Payton everything he wanted).

He didn't.

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

Could we even call Rhule a CEO, though? I mean, he seemed to micromanage the wrong things, spouted a bunch of fluff, threw people under the bus and was grossly overpaid.

...oh, wait.

Tepper has an executive team made up mostly of women. I'm not saying this is an issue, but what are the odds that this team was made up of mostly women, and he was choosing the best candidate, in the NFL, for the job? He is focusing on diversity in his executive team but not in leadership of the group on the field which tells me that it's a facade. 

Now I'm all for hiring whomever, including Steve Wilks as HC, but you have to hire the best people you can find without attributing anything else to them but their abilities. Steve Wilks demonstrated his ability at a superior level to many other interim and full Head Coaches who are still under contract right now. Mike McDaniel, Josh McDaniels, Brandon Staley, Todd Bowles, etc. and deserved this job. I'm not sure what else the man has to do to get a fair shake at a Head Coaching position? 

Yet we went for Reich, which I get. You want an offensive minded coach. 

However for the executive team, I'd like to see who he has chosen and how he has chosen because those types of decisions have huge impacts downstream. Hiring under qualified people in leadership positions leads to functional issues similar to what we've seen thus far. 

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Tepper has an executive team made up mostly of women. I'm not saying this is an issue, but what are the odds that this team was made up of mostly women, and he was choosing the best candidate, in the NFL, for the job? He is focusing on diversity in his executive team but not in leadership of the group on the field which tells me that it's a facade. 

Now I'm all for hiring whomever, including Steve Wilks as HC, but you have to hire the best people you can find without attributing anything else to them but their abilities. Steve Wilks demonstrated his ability at a superior level to many other interim and full Head Coaches who are still under contract right now. Mike McDaniel, Josh McDaniels, Brandon Staley, Todd Bowles, etc. and deserved this job. I'm not sure what else the man has to do to get a fair shake at a Head Coaching position? 

Yet we went for Reich, which I get. You want an offensive minded coach. 

However for the executive team, I'd like to see who he has chosen and how he has chosen because those types of decisions have huge impacts downstream. Hiring under qualified people in leadership positions leads to functional issues similar to what we've seen thus far. 

At least in my eyes, this isn't a case of someone being looked over for a person that is far less qualified. Hypothetically, if this was years ago between Wilks and Rhule, then a lot more questions should be raised if Rhule was chosen. However, Reich had his own set of qualifications, including also having a special connection with this franchise, being a person that players seem to love and respect and, in my eyes, a better offensive coach than Wilks was as a defensive coach. Wilks 

As for the exec team, my impression is that Tepper made decisions similar to he would do with his other enterprises without fully realizing that an NFL franchise is a whole different animal. Still don't think highly of him but for everyone's sake, I hope he has learned his lessons.

• Pie 1