• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The emergance of Matt Ryan had me thinking

I doubt Foxy drafts a quarterback high. Maybe the fifth round on down. We just won't put him in right away and thus waste a pick for several years. Teams like Atlanta did so with Ryan because they had little to lose. Flacco went in because of injury. Otherwise who wants to suffer through a 7-9 or 8-8 year while the rookie learns the position. It makes just as much sense to sign a free agent with experience who can come in and play like a Matt Schaub or Warner (maybe a bit younger) who can play at a high level to start with like Delhomme did for us. The draft is actually much risker than someone who at least played a few games in the NFL.

Moore is very "groomable". People forget he is a second year guy, though Matt Ryan has made a great impact, it isn't usually the smart move to start a guy like that. He however has been lucky to have the stable run game and offensive line, I don't think he is THAT special to survive what Carr went through.

Keep working on Moore, we are going to have a very QB friendly offense with Williams, Stewart, Smith and the offensive line.

Well History for one. We don't draft first round qb's. Or at least we never have.

We've certainly had chances to do so (Brady Quinn for example) but never have.

There are some GMs who subscribe to the notion that you never bypass a franchise QB. Pretty sure Hurney and Fox don't fall in that group seeing as they don't even buy into the concept of a "franchise" QB.

I tend to agree with the consensus that we probably won't draft a QB high as long as Fox is the head coach. Personally I could see us going with someone like Boller, Losman or another washed up former first rounder who never really panned out in their respective cities.

I know that the Carr experiment was a bust of epic proportions, but Boller or Losman have shown a lot more in their careers than Carr ever showed and I believe either one could grow into a good passer.

As an alternative I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up Troy Smith if he became available. Now bare with me here. In his few starts with the Ravens he was pretty good. In four games he didn't throw an interception and recorded three touchdowns. He needs work, but he was beloved amongst team mates who all said that at the start of this year they were praying for him to win the job, but he didn't seem to have his light come on.

If he left baltimore he wouldn't be a bad option to groom for a year or two.

All of that being said, I really do like Matt Moore and I really do think that in two years he'll be ready to become an NFL starter and will do quite well. The only problem is he'll be difficult to adjust to after having jkae behind center for so long.

I realize this is a 'draft a QB' thread, and for the sake of staying on topic...YES, we need to draft a QB early, at some point in the near future.

To the above comment, while I am thrilled with Otah, and what he has done, and I also love Stewart as a player...my preferred method would have been to take Sed Ellis, in which case we still could have picked up a Matt Forte or Tashard Choice in the 2nd or 3rd. The offensive line has been better this year, but I still believe that much of that has to do with the two players lined up behind them in Jake Delhomme and DeAngelo Williams.

It is what it is, and we're in the playoffs, and that's wonderful. I simply hope that just because they haven't done it in the past, doesn't require that they stick to such a silly gameplan. Drafting a QB early in the next draft or two is logical and a common sense pick, if not trading for a young QB who is expendable for whatever reason. (Quinn/Anderson, Brady/Cassell for example)

personally, i thought the team was set at QB and RB for the past draft. If anything, i wanted us to jump denver and get clady, possibly at 11 after a trade with buffalo. in the second, we take matt forte, who look like Stewart Lite up there to me. The main part here is clady. i would be much, much more inclined to say to invest in a QB high up next year or in 2010 to get ready for the future.

as to the question, i think delhomme only has one more year after this year (not entirely sure, but fairly certain...can someone check?). if moore isn't the guy, i don't see nothing wrong with investing a high pick in a QB, IF we handle our other concerns (DT) in free agency. allow the QB to sit under delhomme for a while then let him out on his own eventually.

We've certainly had chances to do so (Brady Quinn for example) but never have.

There are some GMs who subscribe to the notion that you never bypass a franchise QB. Pretty sure Hurney and Fox don't fall in that group seeing as they don't even buy into the concept of a "franchise" QB.

I think its likely they agree that their are franchise QB's, but picking them is a crap shoot. For every Peyton Manning, there are two or three Ryan Leaf's or Heath Shuler's.

http://www.nflminute.com/2008/12/11/2009-top-10-free-agent-qbs/

1. Kurt Warner X

2. Matt Cassell ?

3. Jeff Garcia X

4. Kyle Orton X

5. Rex Grossman X

6. Kerry Collins XXXXXXXXX

7. Kyle Boller ?

8. Charlie Batch X

9. J.T. O’Sullivan ?

10. Patrick Ramsey X

11. Luke McCown ?

Exactly Jangler. There are several other ways to get a good QB other than drafting one. How long will Cleveland hold on to Derek Anderson with Quinn getting all those bucks and the fan support? When does Charlie Whitehurst's rookie contract run out?

Wonder what it would take for the prodigal son to return ;)

A six-pack.

I tend to agree with the consensus that we probably won't draft a QB high as long as Fox is the head coach.

...and to answer this, Coach Fox.

Why draft a quarterback at the top of the draft and pay him, as Carolina coach John Fox said, "like he's a future Hall of Famer when he hasn't played a down yet," if you can have just as much success with a quarterback drafted in a later round?

I just cant understand how you can like the Panthers AND the Falcons....

:confused:

I've grown to dislike the Panther's as the arrogance of their fans is insane. And i think we've been over this before AK. I moved from Greensboro to Atlanta before Carolina had a franchise so i am a Falcons fan but i do have a soft spot for the Panthers

Archived